• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Please Tilly - Give us a striker.

DTS

The Business
I have got to say I am pleasantly suprised by out start to the season. I have only seen the home games I must confess but in both I feel we have been the better side and we could have won.

I feel the real issue apart from the aparant lack of width (Which seems less of a problem that I thought it would) is the lack of quality upfront to go with Barney.

You only have to watch the players warm up before a game to see their shooting ability.Walker scuffs everything he hits wide and Revell tamely side foots all his efforts at Joycey.

The Millwall and Huddersfield games have really highlighted to me that we need a player to go with Barney. Walker (Pace) and Revell (Works hard) both have attributes but neither are the answer. I wouldnt back either to get more than 5 in a full season.

Add to that Dougie who looks to me like his legs have gone. You can still see what a clever and intelligent player he is but he was basically a passenger on Friday night.

Laurent I think is a bit of a waste of space too. He never seems to know what he is going to do and despite his early promise he has not really delivered in terms of goals.

I hope Tilly is currently on the look out for a striker, maybe even on loanee for a bit just someone that can finish and create from all the chances that we are creating.

If we can keep White and Heath and bring in a loan striker then I really think we could have a decent squad.

Anyone heard anything about the Heath and White situation??

If we can keep White and Heath and bring in a loan striker then I really think we could have a decent squad.

Anyone heard anything about the Heath and White situation??

I think there last game is Saturday vs Swindon but that is all I have heard.

I don't agree Dave. If there's a single penny left in either transfer fees or wages it should be spent on some defenders or on a winger rather than on a seventh striker. Laurent, Freedman, Revell and Walker won't be near the top of the division's goalscorers list this season, but they are all decent players for this level and I doubt that we'd be able to get in much better.

I thought Revs looked pretty lively when he came on on Friday and got into a few good goalscoring positions. He's also not afraid to shoot when given half a chance which puts him way above most targetmen we've had in recent years.

I don't agree Dave. If there's a single penny left in either transfer fees or wages it should be spent on some defenders or on a winger rather than on a seventh striker. Laurent, Freedman, Revell and Walker won't be near the top of the division's goalscorers list this season, but they are all decent players for this level and I doubt that we'd be able to get in much better.

I thought Revs looked pretty lively when he came on on Friday and got into a few good goalscoring positions. He's also not afraid to shoot when given half a chance which puts him way above most targetmen we've had in recent years.

Revell has to be 1st choice alongside Barney. He is a target man (something we dont have), works his bollocks off - and that alone can unsettle defenders into making a mistake.

I think he can forge a good partnership with Barnard, and whilst he isnt going to score more than 10 at the most in a season, the other work he does and hopefully bringing in Barnard, Laurent, Moussa and dare I say Sawyer - we can get goals FROM his play, if not directly through him.

Revell has to be 1st choice alongside Barney. He is a target man (something we dont have), works his bollocks off - and that alone can unsettle defenders into making a mistake.

I think he can forge a good partnership with Barnard, and whilst he isnt going to score more than 10 at the most in a season, the other work he does and hopefully bringing in Barnard, Laurent, Moussa and dare I say Sawyer - we can get goals FROM his play, if not directly through him.

Without meaning to sound critical how many headers did our "target man" win on Friday night. I would say maybe only one challenged header all night.

He did look more lively than Dougie did I will give you that but as we in the South Upper though he retired from football after the 6th minute it would not be hard.

Revell didn't win much in the air but I think that was at least partly down to the appalling delivery. Francis is the only player we have who gets crosses in from the flanks, and every other ball that Revell had to deal with was over-hit or was looped in slowly for the defenders to deal with. He's more likely to win those than Freedman is, but defenders will always be favourite in those positions.

Dont think that necessarily a 'target' man has to be a 6ft 6 lump who wins everything in the air.

By his very definition, a target man is a 'target' - whether thats balls lumped in the air, or lower to feet, he is a target to be aimed at.

If you hit the ball into Revs, he is going to do his best to win it, whether trying to head it, to bring it down, or to chase it into the channels.

Robinson was as much of a 'target' man as we could hit the ball into him (either at him, or in a channel near him) and he would make things happen.

Anything hit into Freedman (and to a lesser extent Barnard) bounces back very quickly and it gives us no platform to build from. The ball just kept coming back and putting the midfield/defence under pressure all the time.

I would consider the 'opposite' of a target man is a more mobile striker who can make things happen on his own - so Eastwood and to a lesser degree Barnard.

I came out of Friday's game saying how much we could've done with Theo in that game. When we got pegged in by Millwall and when it all got too scrappy and tight, we could've knocked the ball over the top for him to chase. I think we miss a quick striker who play on the shoulder more than a wide player, and I like my wingers! A new Theo would also help the defence because it'd take some pressure off them at times.

I thought Walker showed some promise in the Huddersfield game, along with Laurent (for 20minutes). I wouldn't mind a Theo-esque loanee coming in and playing on the shoulder of the last man

Maybe instead of finding a striker to play to the way that we're attacking we should be tailoring our way of attacking to suit the strikers that we have (ie getting some creativity in the middle so we don't have to just boot it into the corners for a Robinson to chase onto and/or getting some crosses into the box for Revell and Barnard to get onto).

Preseason, and accepting that it was only against lower opposition, Laurent looked very effective out wide. And I think that upon his return, with may be Grant slipping back into midfield, some creativity will enter our game. The service that our forwards generally get is pretty poor, so anything that improves that must increase our chances of actually winning a game.

Without meaning to sound critical how many headers did our "target man" win on Friday night. I would say maybe only one challenged header all night.

Barney will always be our number one striker from the players we have at the minute. Quite simply, he'll score goals if given the service. From the rest it has to be Revell as his partner. Freedman is only going to be a bit part player, Walker has the pace to unsettle defenders, but little else and Laurent is too much of a mixed bag to be considered as a permanent starter.

For what Revs lacks in natural ability, he more than makes up for in his application and work rate. He'll unsettle defenders for as long as he is on the pitch, never giving them a minutes peace. I disagree that he didn't win enough in the air on Friday. In the time he was on the pitch he won more than his fair share against two tough centre backs. And perhaps more crucially, the way in which Tilly has us playing at the moment is definately more suited to Revell than anyone else.

I can not remember revell winning any 50/50 headers on friday....a target man should be winning at least half of these. Ok he trys hard, but i wouldnt rely on his goals this season. Barney needs another strike partner, someone in the mould of Theo, fast strong and will score goals...

I can not remember revell winning any 50/50 headers on friday....a target man should be winning at least half of these. Ok he trys hard, but i wouldnt rely on his goals this season. Barney needs another strike partner, someone in the mould of Theo, fast strong and will score goals...

One that hit the post perhaps...? :)

One that hit the post perhaps...? :)

Which was offside, so it wasnt a 50/50 challenge for a header. Even though it was offside, his in space, no one around him and he still hits the post. exactly what i said, dont rely on him for your goals, they wont come

Which was offside, so it wasnt a 50/50 challenge for a header. Even though it was offside, his in space, no one around him and he still hits the post. exactly what i said, dont rely on him for your goals, they wont come

It was Barnard that was offside and the goal would have stood.

He still 'won' the header though, which was your argument :P

Think we can all agree that Revs is not a goal scorer - dont think anyone would claim that. But he is pretty unique in what he does bring the team - and those qualities are more than Freedman/Walker can offer IMO.

It was Barnard that was offside and the goal would have stood.

He still 'won' the header though, which was your argument :P

Think we can all agree that Revs is not a goal scorer - dont think anyone would claim that. But he is pretty unique in what he does bring the team - and those qualities are more than Freedman/Walker can offer IMO.

Barnard wasnt offside, watch the highlights on bbc website, it was revell offside :). barney was onside all the way even after the header from revell.

Yer revell is not a goalscorer ill give you that, but if you want a 6ft bloke up front that will work his socks off, im always free on a saturday. I wont score goals but ill try hard

Barnard wasnt offside, watch the highlights on bbc website, it was revell offside :). barney was onside all the way even after the header from revell.

Yer revell is not a goalscorer ill give you that, but if you want a 6ft bloke up front that will work his socks off, im always free on a saturday. I wont score goals but ill try hard

Your in! Bring ya boots...

Not going to get into slagging our boys off as a bit unfair , but i will use Harris as an example in what i call a target man at our level .

For One he has no pace , is not the tallest , but he's link up play and movemnt off the ball combined with his strength and vision meant for me he always looked dangerous when he came on , he was also willing to get on teh end of things and was a general nuisance to our defensive and i'd like to see someone like him brought in as a target man.

All of our forwards have good parts to their game but i can only see 1 of them getting over 10 goals this season and i'm not sure that is good enough IMO .

Back