• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

RHB

I'm a Mod too⭐⭐
Staff member
A very comprehensive stuffing this afternoon. Lets get all discussion, reports and ratings out of the way and then move on to Monday.

Match report: Plymouth Argyle 4, Southend United 0

SOUTHEND United slumped to a depressing 4-0 defeat at play-off pushing Plymouth Argyle this afternoon.

More...

Far to often this season we’ve gone away from home and lost the game after the first half hour or so and it’s happened again today. Going 1-0 down so early killed us, yes we had a couple of half chances but we never really threatened. I don’t know the actual stats but we must be one of the worst travelers in the county. Yet again we’ve showed no guts, no fight and just simply gave up. That had a Phil Brown team feel about it that performance today. We need a big improvement for Monday, it’s coming up to that time of the year when players are playing for their futures, after today none of them should feel safe.

I feel for the fans, bless them. Been there many times back in the day and it's horrible. Many 0-4s and several 1-6s. Suck it up and move on. COYBB

From I follow

Oxley 6. Watched the first, didn’t get off the ground for the 2nd and rooted to his line.
Demi 6. Tried hard, nothing worked.
Turner 6. Caught out for first and got bullied all day. No help from the ref though.
White 5. Poor day all round.
Coker 5. Ball watching for 4th, looks panic stricken when on the ball.
Macca 5. Gave the ball away almost every time.
Mantom 6. Tried to keep plugging away
Dru 5. Looked out of his depth today and tired.
Woody 4. I am a big fan of his, but today he was awful.
Cox 6. Fluffed our best chance at 1-0, but kept plugging away.
MAF 5. Ran around a lot but nothing he tried was successful.

Very poor day, not helped by giving away 18 fouls, compared to only 9 from Plymouth.

The scoreline was kind to us, it should have been more. Absolutely no cohesion whatsoever. Some serious work to be done in the summer.

Oxley - I rate him massively as a shot-stopper, but I don't think I've seen a less commanding goalkeeper in recent times watching us. He never leaves the goal line, in turn creating a massive gap behind the defence to exploit.

Coker - Struggled to get forward. It didn't work with him and Wordsworth down the same side. The games passed him by a bit.

Turner - Caught in 'no man's land' too often today. 5 yards further forward than White on many occasions. They simply played the ball around us.

White - Tough game for him today. Not much protection from the midfield. Wasn't commanding enough.

Demi - I won't hold today's performance against him as he's had a busy week away, but he was unbelievably poor. His crossing was as bad as I've seen it from him.

Wordsworth - One of my favourite players of recent years when he's in a bit of form. Today he offered absolutely nothing and didn't put enough effort in. I wouldn't be too fussed to see him go as I suspect he's one of the bigger earners.

Yearwood - Such a frustrating player at times. For every good thing he does, he goes on to do something dreadful. He spread the play well but couldn't manage the simple stuff today. It'll all tie together as he gets older.

Mantom - I know I'm not obliged to pick a MoM, but he would have got it. Purely due to the fact he wasn't as terrible as the others.

Macca - The poor form continues. Woeful.

Fortune - Struggled to get the ball under control today. In his head he knows what he wants to do with the ball but the body let's him down. Tricky conditions for a player like him today though.

Cox - He didn't have the service today, but he didn't make enough chances for himself. Snatched at anything that can near him.

Subs

Kightly - Showed intent but not enough end product.

Robinson - More shots on target than any of the others, but that really wasn't a big feat today.

Wright - Not much time. Kept it tidy and simple.

A terrible performance. Plymouth were clearly up for the game having lost last week and were searching for an early goal. As early as the first minute they got in behind the defence and a shot screwed wide, then a couple of minutes later the same, we claimed offside not given and Lameiras strokes the ball in. Not a good start, most of the half we were second best and chasing shadows on midfield and lacked urgency. Then, Dru has a great shot parried, Cox misses the rebound and Plymouth work the ball back down the pitch and eventually score with a lucky deflection. Second half all one way traffic, we concede a comical third and then really seem to give up. A fourth was scored when having broken down a rare attack from us the ball is whisked up the field where despite a good Oxley save no one tracks their player for the rebound.
Oxley Mom and a 6, put penalty taker off, pulled off a tremendous save in second half, the rest 5 with Woody a 4.Looked totally disinterested.

I’ve just spent the last hour biting like a massive carp from all the **** I’ve just got from Plymouth supporting friends. I’m extremley ****ed off and upset at this result.

at least you got your prediction right Ricey ,more than I did

Full marks to the drummer! Well played, sir, and a lot more vigorous than the team you were trying to lift. Defence was cut to ribbons all game. The passing was a) overhit b) backwards, c) sidewards, d) easily intercepted. The one shot on target was scuffed, and were we still playing and I not on the train back to Cornwall, the score would still be something nil.

Maximum clear out end of season, don't think anybody wants a new contract the way they played. Defence a 5 , mid field a 4 , forwards a 5. Supporters were great often made more noise than PA except when they scored. Ref was cack, totally got decision wrong when only yellow carded Taylor for elbow on Turner ! enough said, its beer time now !

That was very poor.
Oxley was caught flat footed on the first, I am not sure if it might have been offside or he just expected Coker to clear it; a very slow start. the second took a nasty high loop deflection which gave Ox no chance.
The next real action was at the other end and it looked like Woody should have scored but from close in on our left put the ball right across the goal when clear through: or it might have been like some of our other times when too often those at the sharp end wouldn't take a shot on but pass side and side again.
Of the outfield players only Cox and Dru seemed " at the races" and worth a 7 rating.
Everyone else a 4 except Kites who gets a 6.
Demi looked tired from the start and hindsight might suggest he ought to have sat this out. Woody was woeful and did little to support Coker or as an offence outfield option.
SCP picked wrong team on a good wide pitch, he didn't have enough work from the midfield and MAF seemed lacking in ideas or inspiration- he certainly wasn't thinking of cashing in on a goal scoring bonus!
Subs made too late and I had hoped they would be done soon after half time if things didn't change.
Top marks to Plymouth, they all put in a real shift and harried and chased everything.
Also the travelling Shrimpers who made good noise all through!
On to Monday.

Bad day at the office for Chris and the boys. Just another reminder for me that we're still a ways off from being a strong, consistent team in this division. Let's finish up a strong as possible this season and give Chris a chance to start putting it together again for the next.

Well, I was at the match. Good points of the day? Although it poured down and even snowed over most of Devon, Plymouth was in a bubble of cloudy sunshine. Lunch at Las Iguanas at the Royal William Yard in Plymouth docks was good. There wasn't too much traffic on the M5 and A38 either way........

Good points about the match? Well, the scoreline flattered us. It should have been 7-1. Jeez, we were poor. I blame the pitch. It was perfect, refusing to cut up and covered in nice green grass. How are we expected to play football on that?

Oxley made two great saves, had no chance with the second goal. Apart from him (and, if I'm being generous, Kightley when he finally came on) we were outclassed across the park. Difficult to have to admit it, but Plymouth Argyle were just so much better than us and I had the feeling that they had a lot more in their tank too. I'm no longer convinced that SCP knows what to do with this group of players; it's worrying when Theo Robinson looks our most penetrative and dangerous player, but so he did. We lacked pace - Demi and Coker looked knackered and uninterested, McLaughlin faded fast. I might even be tempted to give McGlashan a start next time - he does at least have pace. Yes, things really are that bad.

But Monday's another day, a home match, and our players need to man up and put in 100 per cent to raise those of us who saw today's display from the slough of despond. COYB!! And Come On Sir Chris - work your magic again.

Beaten by the (very much) better side.

They might be a good tip for promotion through the play offs.

Second goal was a wicked deflection.

Cox could have had two.

Just failed to arrive at the far post on time from a superb Wordsworth cross and should have netted the rebound from an excellent Dru shot.

Lucky it wasn't six.

PB would have been crucified for playing square pegs in round holes and losing 4-0. Woody is not a wide left midfielder, if SCP wants to keep Mantom in, then please do Woody the courtesy of dropping him to the bench. We have left wingers or right wingers who can "cut in". I struggle to see what McGlashan had done to be so spectacularly out of favour, but Woody is our most creative midfielder left so play him in the middle!

Back