• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

whitey_whites

Hi guys, hope you don't mind me posting, very much looking forward to our game on Saturday. Just thought I'd post a quick preview from a green army view and ask a few questions if that is okay.

After the hell we have gone through the last few seasons, finally we have a proper manager, a proper squad and can finally look forward to a season without worrying what is going on with our club and will it either survive liquidation or stay in the football league.

We have had a decent pre season, running both MK Dons and Yeovil close, and of course beating the non league sides around us locally. We have made a number of new signings including Marvin Morgan, Reuben Reid, Lewis Allesandra, Luke Mccormick, Andres Blackman and Dominic Blizzard. The one were most excited about though is Rommy Boco from Accrington, he looks a really good player and he would be my selection for the one you guys should watch out for.

We will line up 4-4-2 and will look to play football, both our wingers are very tricky and pacey so expect us to get the ball wide as soon as possible. We do have two big strikers in Morgan and Reid though so i expect to see some direct stuff at times as well. Our biggest weakness in my opinion is the centre halves, they have looked shaky all pre season and in Paul Wotton and Guy Branston, both are a year older and look even slower. One of them will partner Curtis Nelson, a youngster with huge potential and speed but prone to mistakes.

How has your pre season gone? Are you happy with the squad, who should we look out for as your danger man?

We have sold over 1000 tickets already so the atmosphere should be good. I think it will be a good game, I am worried about Eastwood, hopefully he does have an off day!

My Prediction 1-1.

Also noticed your very close to signing Conor Clifford, he played for us on loan from Chelsea a few seasons ago, great box to box player, would be a great signing.

Yeah, we're worried about Eastwood as well sadly. :sad:

Are we happy with the squad? No, it's too light maybe apart from MF. Pre season has gone ok, good win over Wet Spam which hopefully should give some confidence.

Probably agree about the score, 1-1 sounds right.

Good luck for the rest of the season, apart from this and when you play us again. :winking:

Welcome to the board, of course you're welcome to post! I haven't seen a preseason game but fairly happy with the way Phil Brown conducts his work, we will likely have a mix of experience and youth which I enjoy, which will hopefully be boosted with a few more signings, before the start of the season. As usual the finances are a mess which could have an impact on morale.

Glad things are going better for your team but hope we smash you, cheers :)

Welcome to Shrimperzone Whitey_whites - always have a soft spot for Plymouth so hope you have a good season, your fans deserve it (except for Saturday and the return fixture at your place of course :winking:)

As for us, it's a tough one - we don't have enough strength in depth, and having lost the two players that made last season't League 2 PFA team of the year (Clohessy and Cresswell) along with our two top scorers (Timlin and Assombalonga) you would think we had good reason to be pessimistic.

However the signings made to date look OK (Will Atkinson from Bradford, John White from Colchester, Ben Coker from Histon, Craig Reid from Aldershot) and with the chance that Conor Clifford and Julian Bennett may join too we have the makings of a decent starting XI and bench, although perhaps not much strength in depth.

Phil Brown has a bit of a reputation of being a buffoon - due to his on the pitch teamtalk and media stuff - but actually seems to be very professional and well organised. He has brought in Dave Penney as his no.2 and of course your old hero Cougho is still here as 1st team coach.

I would expect us to line up 4-4-2 as well, Eastwood will of course be one to watch - if he's in the mood. Also watch out for Anthony Straker, one of Sturrock's most disappointing signings who we even paid money for. We brought him as a left back but he hardly played and when he did was pretty woeful. Brown has converted him to a left winger and he's played pretty well in pre-season which even led Brown to call him "the new Gareth Bale" after one pre-season game! That is stretching it a bit, but he looks a far better player in pre-season than he did for the whole of last.

I would expect us to line up as follows:

Bentley​

White Phillips Prosser Coker

Leonard Atkinson Laird Straker

Corr Eastwood​

Subs: Chambers, Barker, Timlin, Hurst, Reid, Payne, Njie

Welcome and thanks for your insight, McCormick will probably get a lively reception and I remember Marvin Morgan being very good against us when he was at Aldershot. I'm not sure Freddy is worth your worry, he's had a quiet pre-season so far and he's not the striker he was, although there are still times when he can turn it on. We have to hope Saturday is one of them!

Best of luck for the rest of the season, I, too am going for a 1-1 draw!

We are looking to pass the ball and have one of the better ball playing midfields in the division. Sadly the loss of ryan creswell will hit us hard. That said we have a good team spirit and Barry corr is a monster up top. Unfortunately Eastwood looks a shadow of the play

For me the player to watch is jack Payne. Young and full of ability. Like a league 2 jack wilshire.

I think we might just edge this. I'm going 2-1 blues.

Good luck for the season.

Thanks for the replies guys, I expect goals on Saturday reading your comments as I'm confident both teams will score.

McCormick still divides opinion even at Plymouth, some fans wanted him, some didn't. I think he expects to be in for some rough treatment every game. One thing for sure though is he is a top goalkeeper especially at this level, he made many outstanding saves in the MK Dons match.

I'm surprised to hear about Eastwood, really thought he might tear this division up. I enjoyed your place last season, unfortunately it was on a Tuesday night but we got an excellent result even though I think Sturrock helped us. Assombolonga? thinks that's his name was causing us a lot of problems and Sturrock decided to take him off to our relief, that win was crucial in our survival.

I have a feeling this game might be quite open with two footballing sides counter attacking each other.

Assombalonga has just signed what seems to be an exceptionally good deal at Peterborough so he won't be bothering you! It may be that Fred has been playing within himself during pre-season, he spent a lot of last season suffering after knee surgery, maybe he's trying to protect himself until necessary, we'll just have to see.

I would expect us to line up as follows:
Bentley​

White Phillips Prosser Coker

Leonard Atkinson Laird Straker
Corr Eastwood​

Subs: Chambers, Barker, Timlin, Hurst, Reid, Payne, Njie

2 more signings are going to announced later today so my line up would be ...

Bentley

White Phillips Prosser Bennett

Leonard Atkinson Clifford Laird Straker

Corr

Subs: Smith , Coker , Timlin , Hurst , Payne ,Reid , Eastwood

(a little birdy told me Smith is nearly match fit)​

Back