• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Tangled up in Blue

Certified Senior Citizen⭐
Anyone know who the Southend player concerned was?
I understand that he was called a "gypo" by the Plymouth fan concerned.Didn't think we'd had any players of that particular ethnic origin since Freddy left.

If it is that which is being investigated, how is it any different to when all fans used to sing "the wheels on your house go round and round" to Freddy every week?

Hmmm? Well I hope the alleged offensive parlance is something more than 'gypo'! There are forms of abuse that need to be eradicated from not just sport but life itself. Then there is name calling that warrants no more labeling than 'childish and unnecessary'. In my hot-headed days I have been known to question the marital state of players parents or infer the ref preferred solo sex. I would be extremely disappointed if I had not grown out of that (well i may still think it about the referees) but if in childish banter or even adult ignorance led to words being hurled like 'Gypo, frog, kraut, jock, paddy,sheep****** et al, they should be dealt with by a club issuing a one liner expressing their desire for fans to be more mindful. Baldy, fatso, ginger...we have had players that fit the bill and no doubt were labelled accordingly. Wrong yes, unpleasant at times, but not worthy of 'investigation'. For me PC stands for poppycock. Soon I will not be able to say 'its all Greek to me' or ' Is Luggy speaking in Double-Dutch?'. I probably wont be able to call my team the Shrimpers because some player or other will take it as a personal sleight upon his manhood. Yes I did get out of bed the wrong side this morning!:thumbdown:

Since the abuse was directed at Bilel, you'd have to assume that the N word was used, rather than "Gypo".I know from frequent past visits down there, that The West Country hasn't exactly embraced multi-culturalism,or at least not to the same extent that (most of) the rest of the UK has.

It was deleted as it contained a few words that could easily be deemed as racist.We were advised to take it down.

Anyone know who the Southend player concerned was?
I understand that he was called a "gypo" by the Plymouth fan concerned.Didn't think we'd had any players of that particular ethnic origin since Freddy left.

If it is that which is being investigated, how is it any different to when all fans used to sing "the wheels on your house go round and round" to Freddy every week?

Hmmm? Well I hope the alleged offensive parlance is something more than 'gypo'! There are forms of abuse that need to be eradicated from not just sport but life itself. Then there is name calling that warrants no more labeling than 'childish and unnecessary'. In my hot-headed days I have been known to question the marital state of players parents or infer the ref preferred solo sex. I would be extremely disappointed if I had not grown out of that (well i may still think it about the referees) but if in childish banter or even adult ignorance led to words being hurled like 'Gypo, frog, kraut, jock, paddy,sheep****** et al, they should be dealt with by a club issuing a one liner expressing their desire for fans to be more mindful. Baldy, fatso, ginger...we have had players that fit the bill and no doubt were labelled accordingly. Wrong yes, unpleasant at times, but not worthy of 'investigation'. For me PC stands for poppycock. Soon I will not be able to say 'its all Greek to me' or ' Is Luggy speaking in Double-Dutch?'. I probably wont be able to call my team the Shrimpers because some player or other will take it as a personal sleight upon his manhood. Yes I did get out of bed the wrong side this morning!:thumbdown:

Something else has been said other than the 'gypsy' chants.

It was deleted as it contained a few words that could easily be deemed as racist.We were advised to take it down.

Fair enough- I hadn't read the thread just saw it had been deleted. I guessed that was the reason but didn't want to say that in case I was wrong!!

I think the Plymouth should be applauded for acting so quickly. According to the Echo article it was one of their own trust members that reported the incident and they received a number on complaints.

Agreed - it's not like every single set of opposition fans hasn't sung "Where's your caravan" at him this season, which also has racial undertones - not sure how that is different to be honest.

Remember White Hart Lane when our fans we being ejected for calling Spurs' fans "Yids" yet they were singing it about themselves. Also most of the shelf were calling us Gippos. It's a funny old game!

Back