• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

I'll give that Athletico Mince a go. I've been listening to Football Weekly/Daily during the Euros but I don't generally listen to much in the way of football podcasts.

I listen to 'Inside the Huddle' for my NFL fix, as well as 'Talk is Cheap' which is a New York Giants show. I listen to Empire's podcast quite a lot as well as Kermode & Mayo.

Cane and Rinse is a pretty good video game podcast which I enjoy. They do 90-120 minute shows about specific classic games.

I listen to a fair few wrestling podcasts too. I enjoy Steve Austin's show, Taz's show is a lot of fun and if Chris Jericho or Jim Ross have a decent guest then I'll stream that.

The West Wing Weekly

Podcast with Joshua Malina (aka Will Bailey who comes into TWW in Season 4), and Hrishikesh Hirway (from Song Exploder podcast). It's great, and perfect to go alongside a we-watch of the whole show (although it'll take 3 years to complete!).

Josh is surprisingly funny, and Hrish is a uber-fan and nerd who picks up on things. Listened to 8 episodes now and they've had Charlie, Donna and some background crew on to discuss the show, which is great.

Dan Carlin's hardcore history - blimey this is intense. Just finished the WWI episode, 4 hours of just him talking, but its so interesting.

East Side Soul Sessions - found this Northern Soul podcast with choons from the 60s, 70s and 80s with a bloke called Tizzy at the helm.

Malcolm Gladwell's Revisionist History. Only listened to one so far - about basketball players being too ashamed to do underarm free shots even though it is clearly the best method. The more general point being that often people won't try a good idea because no-one else does and they don't want to look daft. Thought provoking stuff and I've subscribed now.

Northern Soul from the 80's????

Clearly this guy's not a purist!

Seems to know his stuff, maybe my error! Just listened to the first one, bloody good stuff though I could do without the adverts for gigs in 2011 :smile:

Seems to know his stuff, maybe my error! Just listened to the first one, bloody good stuff though I could do without the adverts for gigs in 2011 :smile:

Not necessarily an error as Northern soul has many guises and contains genres within a genre, and I guess that what he may playing is stuff akin to this;

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zIJLPZOjOU0

It was also very much a regional affair, and despite the name enjoyed a healthy following throughout the UK, however what was playable at one venue would not be tolerated at another and even now politics as to what should be played at a soul night can cause outrage and controversy...particular tracks such as Derek and Ray's Interplay or Baltimore and ohios marching bands version of condition red could empty or fill a floor depending on what part of the country you are in!

Unfortunately I can only help you with the music and it's history...you would do well however to book yourself some dance lessons with young Yorkshire blue, who can spin like a top and brings a whole new level of performance art to the scene.:smile:

Cheers Cal, it's a new musical discovery for me and mostly liked everything I've heard so far.

Cheers Cal, it's a new musical discovery for me and mostly liked everything I've heard so far.

No worries mate, I have been listening to it for 40 years!...and am still hearing stuff that I haven't heard before despite having somewhere around 8,000 tracks.

Bizarrely one of the biggest hits ever on the scene was made by a woman who lives in Hockley!!

No worries mate, I have been listening to it for 40 years!...and am still hearing stuff that I haven't heard before despite having somewhere around 8,000 tracks.

Bizarrely one of the biggest hits ever on the scene was made by a woman who lives in Hockley!!

Name and tune?

Song Exploder (15 minute podcast where an artist explains how they wrote/created a song/track and they discuss the component parts/instruments and lines in the track - at the end they play it in full). Highly recommended

Athletico Mince - Tenuously a football podcast, but mainly a showcase for Bob Mortimer to be as absurd and funny as usual. Decent support from Andy (twitter's ProfanitySwan).

Just downloaded this and it's brilliant. Thanks for the recommendation.

Just downloaded this and it's brilliant. Thanks for the recommendation.

Same! Almost crying with laughter on the drive in this morning. Thought those two were very good at the start of MOTD2 on Sunday as well.

Bill Simmons and Malcolm Gladwell have just recorded another one, talking about the Olympics. Only 20 minutes in so far, but it is excellent as usual.

Big shoutout to Hello from the Magic Tavern- an American improv comedy with wizards and otherworldy creatures. It is hilarious.

Same! Almost crying with laughter on the drive in this morning. Thought those two were very good at the start of MOTD2 on Sunday as well.

Bill Simmons and Malcolm Gladwell have just recorded another one, talking about the Olympics. Only 20 minutes in so far, but it is excellent as usual.

Yes I listened to the first 49 mins of the BS-MG one. Fantastic stuff, I could listen to Gladwell all day (and BS too). I was going to start a thread about 'how to improve the Olympics'.

Gladwell has just finish his first season of the 'Revisionist History' podcast which was great.

Back