• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Pubey

So what are you listening to? Any recommendations? Provide a summary if possible.

This American Life
My 'go to' podcast with almost 600 episodes (I've listened to 100 now, thanks to my commute!). Consistently high quality and interesting, but there are some exceptional pieces of investigative journalism which stand out. Happy to provide some links. They're behind Serial, which is recommended if you've not listened to it.

The Ringer
Bill Simmons (from ESPN/Grantland) has set up his own Podcast company which provides The Bill Simmons Podcast and Channel 33. The first is generally about sports and popular culture with a guest - the most recent was Michael Rapaport who was hilarious, previously it was Chris Sacca, who is a billionaire investor in silicon valley, very interesting. Channel 33 is about pop culture and has regular segments about recent TV and films, and links to the GoT After the Thrones programme which is recommended. The Ringer is also launching an NBA podcast, and an NFL podcast, which I'm sure will be great. There is also a golf one (Shackhouse) that I've not listened to. I know there are lots of former Grantland fans on here and The Ringer definitely fills that gap. They also have a newsletter which is decent

The Parapod
Comedians Barry Dodds and Ray Peacock discuss the paranormal. Ray is a complete sceptic, and Barry is a believer who goes 'ghost hunting'. It basically involves discussing famous 'hauntings', rituals you can perform, and they basically bicker and fight but it's very very funny.

Football Weekly
A classic - still pretty decent and nice to hear Slipperduke on a fairly regular basis, but they could do with ditching Barry Glendenning who is insufferable.

Only Kermode & Mayo, Danny Baker & Infinite Monkey Cage (when it's on). Did listen to Serial, but got bored of No.2.

I tend to listen to Bill Simmons a lot during the NFL season, particularly his gambling chats with Cousin Sal; always download The Ringer but pick and choose when he's talking about other stuff. Looking forward to getting round to the Louis CK one though.

Barry Glendenning, as mentioned above, is why I don't bother with Football Weekly so instead I get my weekend football review fix via The Game from The Times. Usually hosted by Gab Marcotti and with the guests coming from a pool of Rory Smith, Tony Cascarino, Grumpy Jamie Scowcroft, Alyson Rudd, Julien Laurens and various others. At around 45 minutes, tends to fit the morning commute perfectly.

Danny Kelly's Eurovision on Talksport is excellent and informative, particularly as we lead up to The Euros. Always gets proper experts on there who know what's going on not just in La Liga and Serie A, but Europe's 'lesser' leagues too.

Any rugby league fans out there? Thought not. But Rugby League Renegades with Rod Studd and Brian Carney is always a good listen.

Fighting Talk of course - laughed out loud a couple of times on the drive in this morning

The Cycling Podcast does what it says on the tin. Essential listening if you like pro cycling, hosted by the excellent Richard Moore

BBC 5 Live in general - don't usually have the time to listen to all the stuff they upload on to iTunes, but there is always something worth catching, e.g. the interview with Steve Davis the other week was really interesting (boom boom)

Fighting Talk is only downloaded when there's either someone I love, or two OKish people. Half the time I give it a miss, sorry to say.

Pappy's Flatshare Slamdown is great fun
The Nosleep podcast - horror stories is well-produced
Kermode and Mayo (obvs)
The Black Tapes (but it's gone off a bit recently)
oh and No Such Thing as a Fish (from the team behind QI) which is brilliant,

Fighting Talk is only downloaded when there's either someone I love, or two OKish people. Half the time I give it a miss, sorry to say.

Last week's was good. Jim Smallman was back and Justin Moorhouse is always good value. Although it's never quite as enjoyable when Ainslie is in the chair. But I didn't bother with the week before - I've already forgotten who was on that one.

Ivo Graham and Caroline Barker this weekend, two of my favourites.

Last week's was good. Jim Smallman was back and Justin Moorhouse is always good value. Although it's never quite as enjoyable when Ainslie is in the chair. But I didn't bother with the week before - I've already forgotten who was on that one.

Ivo Graham and Caroline Barker this weekend, two of my favourites.

Justin Moorhouse apologised to me on twitter once after claiming on Fighting Talk that Moyet was a Palace fan. I like Ivo- big fan of Osman, Sinha, Kelner, Mills and Dougie Anderson.

Football Ramble, needs a few listens but pretty funny.
La Liga Weekly, good updates on Spainish league

As anticipated, Ivo Graham was great value on Fighting Talk this week.
  Spoiler:  
Although, as per usual, he totally ****ed up DTI

I also download Desert Island Discs, but only listen if it is someone I have an interest in. The most recent one was Tom Hanks and it was absolutely first class. Kirsty Young is an absolute master of her trade and Hanks is such an engaging listen.

Well worth 47 minutes of your time.

As anticipated, Ivo Graham was great value on Fighting Talk this week.
  Spoiler:  
Although, as per usual, he totally ****ed up DTI

I also download Desert Island Discs, but only listen if it is someone I have an interest in. The most recent one was Tom Hanks and it was absolutely first class. Kirsty Young is an absolute master of her trade and Hanks is such an engaging listen.

Well worth 47 minutes of your time.

Halfway through last week's FT. ps the entirety of Desert Island Discs is now on the BBC and you can download individual one as MP3s. http://www.bbc.co.uk/radio4/features/desert-island-discs/find-a-castaway

Agree Fighting Talk is going downhill. Getting dangerously close to being deleted. Am surprised to hear Pappy's being recommended but maybe podcasts is their niche.

Some suggestions not yet mentioned:

Hospital Records - still the best music podcast
Last Night on Earth - Sasha with some more tunes
Geek and Friends Cricket - Peter Miller talks cricket with decent guests
Friday Night Comedy - The News Quiz or Now Show to keep up to date with news and topical affairs
Private Eye - see above

Agree Fighting Talk is going downhill. Getting dangerously close to being deleted. Am surprised to hear Pappy's being recommended but maybe podcasts is their niche.

Some suggestions not yet mentioned:

Hospital Records - still the best music podcast
Last Night on Earth - Sasha with some more tunes
Geek and Friends Cricket - Peter Miller talks cricket with decent guests
Friday Night Comedy - The News Quiz or Now Show to keep up to date with news and topical affairs
Private Eye - see above

I got bored with Friday Night comedy and Private Eye alas. The beauty of Pappys is in its anarchy, and when they have good guests on, its sublime.

Inside the Huddle from Sky which is great, BBC F1 which is pretty lame.

Fighting Talk dilemma this week....

On the plus side, Paul Sinha and Martin Kelner. Two of the very best.

On the downside, it's never as good when Georgie Ainslie hosts it and Katherine Merry, probably my least favourite FTer, is also a guest. She's crude, but about as funny as hepatitis.

On the downside, it's never as good when Georgie Ainslie hosts it and Katherine Merry, probably my least favourite FTer, is also a guest. She's crude, but about as funny as hepatitis.

Just heard half of it - and it's a solid 7/10. Sinha has a good pop at darts commentary

It is good to know I am not the only one that dislikes Katherine Merry.

Song Exploder (15 minute podcast where an artist explains how they wrote/created a song/track and they discuss the component parts/instruments and lines in the track - at the end they play it in full). Highly recommended

Athletico Mince - Tenuously a football podcast, but mainly a showcase for Bob Mortimer to be as absurd and funny as usual. Decent support from Andy (twitter's ProfanitySwan).

Back