• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

billy best was god

Youth Team
Since 1967 I have heard every year what a great youth team we have, and “The future is rosy”. But the truth is how many have gone on to a have a football career? Many have great promise but finish up at Canvey. So my question is there a point of having a youth team as the only local youth team player who I can remember doing well was Spencer Prior?

Andy Edwards
Jay Martin
Steve Brown
Michael kightly
Mel Capleton
Justin Edinburgh
Leo roget
Leon Cort

Thats in 2 mins

Last edited:
I thought Franck Moussa was reasonable too Wardy ...

Oh but Leon Cort came from Millwall after he finished his apprenticeship i believe

I thought Franck Moussa was reasonable too Wardy ...

Oh but Leon Cort came from Millwall after he finished his apprenticeship i believe

Indeed he did, having started out at Dulwich Hamlet. Not sure Kightly is a plus point for the idea of a youth team !

Ps Capleton was at Tottenham and not a product of the youth team . Maybe 2 mins was a bit hasty.

Last edited:
Dont think he did but maybe.
Herd
Ferdinand
guy at palace what his bloody name!!!

O'Keefe.

As I say any time people question the validity of the youth team, next time we're away, why not go and watch the youth side if they're at home? Go and watch the calibre of the football they play and the determination they show. I guarantee you won't leave disappointed.

Also the lads who went to Everton and Liverpool!

Femi Orenuga and Michael Ngoo. Femi's brother Keith is also quite highly thought of and is still at the club, for what it's worth.

Medi Abalimba also went to Derby, while Duran Reynolds is now at Dagenham.

Yeah, but apart from

Prior, Edwards, Moussa, O'Keefe, Ferdinand, Ngoo, Orenuga, Nelson, Pennyfather and Johnny Herd

What have the youth team ever done for us ....

The other lad who went to Derby of course !!!

ahh, too slow ..Damn you ESB :blush:

O'Keefe.

As I say any time people question the validity of the youth team, next time we're away, why not go and watch the youth side if they're at home? Go and watch the calibre of the football they play and the determination they show. I guarantee you won't leave disappointed.

If you are just looking at it from a simple balance sheet perspective - what has it cost for the last 5/10 years? what have we got out of it ? - I'd guess we were heavily in the red, just like the rest of RM's operations? There's a lot more too it than that; there's the community aspect and all the work done with children of all ages. A thriving and well run club should be very much a focal point for the sport, shame our club is neither at the moment.

Femi Orenuga and Michael Ngoo. Femi's brother Keith is also quite highly thought of and is still at the club, for what it's worth.

Medi Abalimba also went to Derby, while Duran Reynolds is now at Dagenham.

I've seen Reynolds a couple of times playing for Grays where is is on loan (and will probably get to play against us in the Essex Senior Cup). He looks quite reasonable in the Ryman League One North but a fair way from League standard. So he is more in the "finish up at Canvey" category of the original post.

Back