• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

pringlejon

Pringello Indexinator
After reading a few comments, I decided to compile a list of all the players' average points per game whilst they have been playing...here it is:

Book1-1.gif

Interestingly, this puts Evans as a best GK and Sturrock as our best striker.

Bah, whatever format you're using is blocked at work. Can you please rehost it/copy and paste it in something less dodgy.

Ta.

Bah, whatever format you're using is blocked at work. Can you please rehost it/copy and paste it in something less dodgy.

Ta.

There's nothing remotely dodgy about a gif file (Graphics Interchange Format) per se.

You're obviously blocking all images.

There's nothing remotely dodgy about a gif file (Graphics Interchange Format) per se.

I suspect that it's where the image is hosted which is the problem. photobucket.com will be on a list of blocked sites for many companies.

It's not all images as Pubey's gif (I assume) of Ashley Cole sniping Drogba works fine.

It must the stats contained within that are dodgy!:winking:

Excellent work from the Pringello there.

I think the next stage would be to adjust it for sub appearances so that players aren't penalised/credited for the score when they aren't on the pitch.

eg If a player was subbed when we were losing, but we came from behind to win then it would be credited to them as a defeat. Likewise if they were the sub in the game and came on when we were trailing to turn the game around, they should get the credit and not the blame.

I don't think we ever scored with Bouzid on the pitch and he was subbed at half-time, but he has a 100% record despite that!

Looking at the stats, I would guess that you included cup games as well.

I think the next stage would be to adjust it for sub appearances so that players aren't penalised/credited for the score when they aren't on the pitch.

eg If a player was subbed when we were losing, but we came from behind to win then it would be credited to them as a defeat. Likewise if they were the sub in the game and came on when we were trailing to turn the game around, they should get the credit and not the blame.

I don't think we ever scored with Bouzid on the pitch and he was subbed at half-time, but he has a 100% record despite that!

Thought I'd do my own little investigation into substitutions. It is true what you said about Bouzid, he played in the first half of the JPT game against Gillingham, which finished 0-0.

2irxn4w.jpg

Looking at the stats, I would guess that you included cup games as well.

Yea, included every competitive game played this season (except essex senior cup....that's not even a proper tournament is it!!?!?!)

Thought I'd do my own little investigation into substitutions. It is true what you said about Bouzid, he played in the first half of the JPT game against Gillingham, which finished 0-0.

2irxn4w.jpg

So the majority of sub appearances didnt make much difference, points wise, over the season.

I did contemplate implementing some kind of formula manipulating average points depending on score before and after player came on but seemed like a lot of effort.

Yea, included every competitive game played this season (except essex senior cup....that's not even a proper tournament is it!!?!?!)

So the majority of sub appearances didnt make much difference, points wise, over the season.

I did contemplate implementing some kind of formula manipulating average points depending on score before and after player came on but seemed like a lot of effort.

True. This could be due to the lack of our strength in depth, the lack of a real "match-winner", which Sturrock has already pointed out, or someone who has the ability to grab the game and turn it in our favour.

True. This could be due to the lack of our strength in depth, the lack of a real "match-winner", which Sturrock has already pointed out, or someone who has the ability to grab the game and turn it in our favour.

I think you need to factor in that the average sub appearance is going to be approximately a quarter of a full game. You'd therefore only expect a sub to have a quarter of the impact that that player would have playing a full game as they are only on the pitch for a quarter of the time. Given that the difference between the better players and the weaker players is (very roughly) about half a point a game, that would make a sub producing an average positive points differential of 0.125 a fairly decent return. It's not the biggest sample size, but if add it to the points differential for starts, it'll boost the accuracy of the figures.

BTW what did you do about cup games - did you include the result over 90 minutes or the result over extra time? That, and the fact that the quality of opponents can be pretty variable and teams don't always take it seriously, mean that I prefer to just use league stats as there are fewer variables.

I think you need to factor in that the average sub appearance is going to be approximately a quarter of a full game. You'd therefore only expect a sub to have a quarter of the impact that that player would have playing a full game as they are only on the pitch for a quarter of the time. Given that the difference between the better players and the weaker players is (very roughly) about half a point a game, that would make a sub producing an average positive points differential of 0.125 a fairly decent return. It's not the biggest sample size, but if add it to the points differential for starts, it'll boost the accuracy of the figures.

BTW what did you do about cup games - did you include the result over 90 minutes or the result over extra time? That, and the fact that the quality of opponents can be pretty variable and teams don't always take it seriously, mean that I prefer to just use league stats as there are fewer variables.

I think you'll find the average sub playing time is rather less on average than a quarter of the game (even more so with Tilson).

Also defenders are more likely to be brought on if a team is winning and forwards if it is losing.

All in all, it really is not an exact science and I know, without statistics, which of our players can play and which can't.

All very interesting nevertheless.

I think you'll find the average sub playing time is rather less on average than a quarter of the game (even more so with Tilson).

Also defenders are more likely to be brought on if a team is winning and forwards if it is losing.

All in all, it really is not an exact science and I know, without statistics, which of our players can play and which can't.

All very interesting nevertheless.

It is hard to show a player's true contribution after coming on via basic statistics, without having to spend hours upon hours going through data.

For example, Blair's contribution in the Stockport game can only be judged on basic statistics by the fact that he scored, as he came on when we were drawing and the game finished as a draw.

Back