• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Police raid - about shirts!

Leighite

Youth Team
Echo exclusive today. Police raid - about shirts!

Front page Echo exclusive today. Tilly says the police raid at RH and Ron's house was "all over a bunch of shirts". Apparently it's reported as being about some spare silver LDV shirts that were given to Sean Connors for his junior football team.

Connors "denied it was any attempt to influence a planning decision". If it was he would have been very cheap.

I firmly believe that Ron is totally innocent but 40 police officers to investigate some spare shirts? It would have been better to say nothing and let this all die down. Seems more like Tilly saying that it was all just a load of wind and the Echo making it into an exclusive Harry Potter story.

Last edited:
Front page Echo exclusive today. Tilly says the police raid at RH and Ron's house was "all over a bunch of shirts". Apparently it's reported as being about some spare silver LDV shirts that were given to Sean Connors for his junior football team.

Connors "denied it was any attempt to influence a planning decision". If it was he would have been very cheap.

I firmly believe that Ron is totally innocent but 40 police officers to investigate some spare shirts? It would have been better to say nothing and let this all die down. Seems more like Tilly saying that it was all just a load of wind and the Echo making it into an exclusive Harry Potter story.

I urge you all to boycott the Echo, I did not buy it todayafter the Freddy hate campaign yesterday, a story that has now made it into today's Sun.At least they only say he comes from Wickford.

i thought it broke on BBC radio before the echo published it ?

I urge you all to boycott the Echo, I did not buy it todayafter the Freddy hate campaign yesterday, a story that has now made it into today's Sun.At least they only say he comes from Wickford.

I'm not surprised it's in today's Sun. It's more like the Echo's sister newspaper. The Echo copies the downmarket "innuendo" style of headline from the Sun. Sorry Chris, it's a poor rag and you can do better!

I agree- the picture of Freddy Eastwood was gutter journalism and totally irresponsible. This must also be considered in the wake of previous non-stories about his home etc. Why are they intent on trying to make him look a ****? Do they really want him to get ****ed off and leave? If I was Ron I would be livid and fly a plane into the Echo offices just to make my point. Well, something like that anyway.

Maybe Chris Phillips would care to comment? I know the front and back pages are different departments at The Echo and I don't think this is anything to do with Chris personally. It is though, completely bang out of order that the local rag seeks to undermine one of the town's biggest assets. Perhaps Chris can shed some light on why this keeps cropping up and what The Echo's agenda is?

Im no fan of the Echo but Im fairly sure any high profile championship footballer doing something like that would make the local rag anywhere, and then get a mention in the The Sun

As I said yesterday, Freddy Eastwood is a local superstar and anything he does out of the ordinary is newsworthy.

If he played for Col U there would be less anger and more laughing....

As todays story, its a follow up to the raid and the first opinion from the manager regarding it. Im sure the reason for the police interest wasnt just because of some shirts even if Ron hasnt actually done much.

it wasn't that they reported the story. it was the snide negative way they did it. Complete bollocks. However can't blame Chris Phillips for this, he's a sports reporter not the editor.

As I said yesterday, Freddy Eastwood is a local superstar and anything he does out of the ordinary is newsworthy.

If he played for Col U there would be less anger and more laughing....

As todays story, its a follow up to the raid and the first opinion from the manager regarding it. Im sure the reason for the police interest wasnt just because of some shirts even if Ron hasnt actually done much.

Then you're saying that Tilly is not telling the truth or he is misquoted, because that is exactly what is reported in the Echo? It's about shirts.

In response to another message, the article is under Chris Phillips name, he is after all the sports reporter, but the Editor is responsible for all print and where it appears in the paper.

Knew this, but was reluctant to say anything as i may have got shouted down. Not just shirts though, is it?

it wasn't that they reported the story. it was the snide negative way they did it. Complete bollocks. However can't blame Chris Phillips for this, he's a sports reporter not the editor.

Are you referring to yesterdays story ?

Ive read it a couple of times and apart from printing his address which was out of order I really cant see whats wrong with it.

They refer to a famous footballer holding up traffic, I dont see whats snide about that.

As I say I bet if it was Chris Iwulemo then there wouldnt be one case of outrage here...

Then you're saying that Tilly is not telling the truth or he is misquoted, because that is exactly what is reported in the Echo? It's about shirts.

In response to another message, the article is under Chris Phillips name, he is after all the sports reporter, but the Editor is responsible for all print and where it appears in the paper.

No, Im not saying Tilly isnt telling the truth, but he certainly wont know all the facts.

As the story says the relationship began with an offer of shirts, but thats not all that happened.

The question is what other dealings did Ron have with this guy, I doubt anything particularly untoward.

Are you referring to yesterdays story ?

Ive read it a couple of times and apart from printing his address which was out of order I really cant see whats wrong with it.

They refer to a famous footballer holding up traffic, I dont see whats snide about that.

As I say I bet if it was Chris Iwulemo then there wouldnt be one case of outrage here...

I can't see what is newsworthy about it.

Surely someone must have had their garden shed broken into, or some other more newsworthy event?

Phew, I am so glad that we did not take those shirts, as SZFC were offered those shirts but we wanted to play in the Southend Utd Blue so turned it down, in fact I am sure the police are relieved as they would have had to raid Barry Harris abode, as he was the SZFC contact for this deal.

I can't see what is newsworthy about it.

Surely someone must have had their garden shed broken into, or some other more newsworthy event?

Yesterday Terry Marsh missed a train because the ticket machine gave him too much change, and despite Freddy getting frontpage he still had a whole page 3 dedicated to the story:)

If it was the HI HO SILVER SOUTHEND LDV shirts they were worthless anyway . Case closed.

Im no fan of the Echo but Im fairly sure any high profile championship footballer doing something like that would make the local rag anywhere, and then get a mention in the The Sun

Maybe, but I don't think their address would be in the paper would it.

Back