• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

POLL to decide changes

Should we change the Prediction League next year?

• YES to question 1 - include Borient/Col Ewe fixtures

Votes: 9 40.9%
  • NO to question 1 - don't include Borient/Col Ewe fixtures

Votes: 11 50.0%
  • YES to question 2 - continue with the Southend PL and the PL

Votes: 14 63.6%
  • NO to question 2 - just keep it to the PL

Votes: 6 27.3%
  • YES to question 3 - have 4 PL and 4 PL Cups per season

Votes: 15 68.2%
  • NO to question 3 - just one PL and one PL Cup per season

Votes: 6 27.3%
  • YES to question 4 - split the PL into 2 Divisions

Votes: 20 90.9%
  • NO to question 4 - keep the PL in one Division

Votes: 2 9.1%
  • YES to question 5 - identify where we sit at Roots Hall

Votes: 11 50.0%
  • NO to question 5 - don't bother

Votes: 9 40.9%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

DoDTS

The PL League Boss⭐⭐
Further to previous thread, I have added a poll and we will go with the majority decision.

The questions were:

1) As fascinating as games such as Accrington v Burton are to predict, how about have one fixture from league 1 (Borient or Col Ewe) included in the 6 games?

2) I probably didn’t explain it well to start well but should we continue with the Southend Prediction League (just scoring from Southend’s result and first scorer? If we don’t I think the first scorer works well (if only someone would score) and we could incorporate that into the main PL.

3) I feel the 13 fixtures from March to April worked well, it didn't drag on too long and kept interest, I propose that next year we have four league competitions and four Cup competitions each one being about 13 to 15 games (roughly Aug to Sep, Oct to Dec, Jan to Feb, Mar to May). This way, for instance if you get knocked out of the cup in the first round, its only going to be a couple on months before you get your next chance.

4) A suggestion from dannypav is that we split the PL into Divisions, adding the spice of promotion and relegation. I think it is a good idea a nd quite appealing, it would be great if your doing well but could be depressing if your doing badly and put people off predicting perhaps, what do you think? If we were to do this then perhaps the first PL would be as normal but at the end the top 20 go up to the top division the remainder down to the second.

5) Another thought is that if we identified ourselves by where we sit in Roots Hall (north, south, east or west) we could see who were the top predictors in each area, we could even have a team competition where the top three from the north competed against the top three from the south etc.

As I said on the other thread, my concern with making it more than one "league" is that promotion or more likely, relegation might depend on someone not posting predictions rather than merit.

They all sound like top ideas to me, although I'd be more interested in a couple of premiership fixtures to predict on rather than Col Ewe or Borient (let's face it we'd all predict them to lose every week).
Having promotion & relegation to fight for would add a bit of spice for those of us terminally stuck in midtable. How about splitting the season into 4 as you suggested, the first quarter all in one division, after that split it down into 2 or more divisions and have promotion at the end of each quarter?

only problem with q5, what if you don't get to RH for geographical/work/poverty reasons?

You decide where your heart is, north, south, east or west, which ever you prefer however often you go is of no consequence. Some have said they sometimes sit in one stand and another for other matches, as before whichever you prefer. All I would ask once you have chosen you must stick to it, for the season anyway.

My thoughts were that we could have a sort of "home international tournement" incorporated into the season so that say for instance the three highest East standers and the three highest west standers, as at week 4 would form two teams whereby the west would play south in the week 5. Similarly for North v South. Predicting would be the same as usual but their scores would be used twice, once for their personal standing, and secondly for their east/west etc. team. So you would be in effect "capped" by your stand.

Probaly sounds complicated but hopefully won't be, only more work for the poor mug (me) doing the scoring,

DoDtS

Last edited:
Back