• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Ponting on the mike during 20/20

BalmainShrimper

Youth Team
During last nights 20/20 here (Aus vs SA), Ricky Ponting was miked up and talking to Tubby Taylor and Warnie during the game.

I've never seen this before, but it was brilliant listening to his thoughts on the action as it happened, especially when he was batting and explaining where he was thinking of hitting the ball as he faced the bowler.

It struck me how composed and coherant he was. Goes to show how elite sportspeople really are in a different league to us mortals. BTW I am no fan of Ponting but I was impressed all the same.

I wonder if they could do this during a football match and what the result would be. Comical (and not broadcastable) I expect. I do remember seeing something where the ref was miked up during an Arsenal game. In amongst the expletives I remember Tony Adams going up to him and calling him a "cheat". Just not cricket.

Anyone else remember that?

They do that in the county twenty20 games here in Blighty, to the point where the commentators openly criticise them after a poor shot or a mis-field, albeit only to get some banter going. You can even text in questions to the batsman (if he's at the crease long enough). It livens up a dreary Notts v Glamorgan confrontation in Worksop, I'll give it that.

I vaguely remember the football documentary you refer to. It showed for the first time undeniable proof a team systematically and deliberately targetting a ref to get decisions their way. Rather than question George Graham & Co, I seem to recall the referee inquestion bearing the brunt of the criticism for allowing a tv crew to do that.

If you go to any rugby international or Premiership match, though, you can buy some headphones (which afterwards can be used as a cheap FM radio) that is tuned into the ref's mike so you hear everything he says, why he's come to such decisions, etc. It's absolutely brilliant and dextrous use of such a gadget ensured my lad and I won a sizeable bet with a Welshman over a disputed Canadian try in a World Cup match I went to.

Mike 'em up!

They do it in Baseball in the States too. The year the Redsox one their first title for 100 million years, I remember first baseman Kevin Millar usually hooked up to a mike for the game. Always very funny to hear the banter going on.

Don't think it would work in football tbh - as it is not as start / stop as Cricket / Baseball etc.

During last nights 20/20 here (Aus vs SA), Ricky Ponting was miked up and talking to Tubby Taylor and Warnie during the game.

I've never seen this before, but it was brilliant listening to his thoughts on the action as it happened, especially when he was batting and explaining where he was thinking of hitting the ball as he faced the bowler.

It struck me how composed and coherant he was. Goes to show how elite sportspeople really are in a different league to us mortals. BTW I am no fan of Ponting but I was impressed all the same...

As others have said, it's a feature of Twenty20 Cup action over here - I think it was Hopkinson of Sussex who made a couple of predictions during Napier's incredible 152* at the FCG that it was funny watching back after the game.

I was impressed with how composed Mark Boucher was doing a stint on the mike during the first Twenty20 at the MCG - it's one thing a non-striking batsman or a fielder in the deep doing it, but a wicketkeeper - and even as a fast bowler was running in! - I thought was extremely impressive.

Last edited:
Back