• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Poor performance at Braintree

IloveShrimp

Director⭐
Steve Tilson has recently questioned the attitude/efforts of some of the players during the defeat at Braintree.

But I think that their attitude may be down to the fact that the Club (Mr. Martin) has not shown any ambition in bringing (or keeping) quality players at Roots Hall.

For me there is no excuse for lack of effort, but to be honest I am beginning to wonder about the clubs ambitions at the mo, so the players must be also.

I must admit that I (and some of my season ticket holding friends) are beginning to feel a bit 'mugged off' by Mr. Martin who has contrived to take our (paid early) season ticket cash and shares issue monies on the pretence that players would be forthcoming.

I fear that we all have been SUCKERED! :madman:

:stunned: :thumbdown: :'( :(

Steve Tilson has recently questioned the attitude/efforts of some of the players during the defeat at Braintree.

But I think that their attitude may be down to the fact that the Club (Mr. Martin) has not shown any ambition in bringing (or keeping) quality players at Roots Hall.

For me there is no excuse for lack of effort, but to be honest I am beginning to wonder about the clubs ambitions at the mo, so the players must be also.

I must admit that I (and some of my season ticket holding friends) are beginning to feel a bit 'mugged off' by Mr. Martin who has contrived to take our (paid early) season ticket cash and shares issue monies on the pretence that players would be forthcoming.

I fear that we all have been SUCKERED! :madman:

:stunned: :thumbdown: :'( :(

This is the second thread along these lines that you've made. If you really feel 'mugged off' about the season ticket that you were apparently conned into buying just ask for your money back.

We tried to keepy quality players in Gower and arguably less so in Darryl but the lure of higher standard of football got them as it would do me. Sure if we had gone up Gower in particular would still be here. Flavs I liked but it was time to move on.

We released a lot of chaf in the summer and have sold two players that with all due respects were not up to scratch at this level. Harrold and Foran so to be shown the door.

I think everyone on this site would like to have seen more action in the market but it matters little if we get players in June or the week before the season starts. Until you have seen the squad for the first game of the season I think its hard to judge.

Unless you know more than the average fan I cant see why you feel "mugged off" as you dont know what budget Tilly has. The share issue was good PR and I for one dont feel for a second mugged off by that. Really fail to see your point to be honest.

We tried to keepy quality players in Gower and arguably less so in Darryl but the lure of higher standard of football got them as it would do me. Sure if we had gone up Gower in particular would still be here. Flavs I liked but it was time to move on.

We released a lot of chaf in the summer and have sold two players that with all due respects were not up to scratch at this level. Harrold and Foran so to be shown the door.

I think everyone on this site would like to have seen more action in the market but it matters little if we get players in June or the week before the season starts. Until you have seen the squad for the first game of the season I think its hard to judge.

Unless you know more than the average fan I cant see why you feel "mugged off" as you dont know what budget Tilly has. The share issue was good PR and I for one dont feel for a second mugged off by that. Really fail to see your point to be honest.

Echo 20th Feb 2008 ' Mr Martin aimed to raise more than £1.7 million for the club by issuing the shares. he would remain the majority owner and the money would be used to buy new players to strengthen the squad.'

Echo 20th Feb 2008 ' Mr Martin aimed to raise more than £1.7 million for the club by issuing the shares. he would remain the majority owner and the money would be used to buy new players to strengthen the squad.'

Thus far we're still waiting. Maybe it's all like a swan on a lake - calm and serene above the surface but underneath - it's going like the clappers. I certainly hope so.

Have you ever thought that maybe, just maybe, we have been trying to bring players in and we have made bids for players, but without bankrupting the club we can't pay the wages these over paid egos want? As that is far closer to the truth actually.

Doubting Ron Martin after all he's done to turn this club around? Do me a favour. Do you want things to be back as they were under the previous fools in charge of this club? No I hear you say? Well have a little patience as that annoying song goes.

already several threads about this in the last couple of pages.

ue, so maybe if more people think it, pressure can be brought upon mr martin, et al, to get thier respective bloody fingers out and do something....sooner rather than later, or at least, be open as to what the real situation is as far as money.
If he comes out and says..'lads, we have no money, this is the best we can put together for this seasons campaign'..would you be; 1)happy, and accept it, 2) happy and expect a tough fight this season or, 3) vote with your wallet, and boycott selective matches and hold protests?

ue, so maybe if more people think it, pressure can be brought upon mr martin, et al, to get thier respective bloody fingers out and do something....sooner rather than later, or at least, be open as to what the real situation is as far as money.
If he comes out and says..'lads, we have no money, this is the best we can put together for this seasons campaign'..would you be; 1)happy, and accept it, 2) happy and expect a tough fight this season or, 3) vote with your wallet, and boycott selective matches and hold protests?

Which one are you going to do? Personally I'll turn for each home game, I expect a tough fight every season.

Which would presumably help the clubs cash-flow situation no end...

of course not, however, if the team are near the bottom of the table and/or consistantly putting in poor performances, then the crowds will dissapear on thier own, leaving just the 'die-hard' supporter anyway, thus creating its own 'cash flow situation'.

Selective boycotts would send a clear message, how effective it would be is another question, but apart from shouting from the stands 'martin, your a w.naker', what else do you do? Fans really have little power, and the only thing Chairmen of any club/company understands is cash.

I'm really sure he listens to those chants anyway........

So I can get this clear, what particular action or non action the board have taken recently don't you like. (Chronological order)
Saving us from Administration 6 or so years ago
Cutting costs to avoid further financial difficulties
Appointing Tilson as Manager (after realising the mistake of appointing Wignall and acting swiftly)
Overseeing a trip to the Mil Stad
Overseeing a 2nd Mil Stad final
Overseeing a 3rd Milstad visit in 2 years and gaining promotion
Winning the most prestigious Trophy in the clubs history and gaining promotion to the 2nd teir of football for only the 2nd time in the clubs history
Reducing the clubs debt
posting a significant profit for the first time in years
being in charge of a team that Beat Man Utd
getting relegated from the Championship after 1 season
obtaining season ticket sales over 3 times greater than any other season
making the play offs in the first season back
losing a playoff semi final
getting planning approval for a prestigious new stadium
Failing to sign any big names in the first 3 weeks of the transfer window.

So I can get this clear, what particular action or non action the board have taken recently don't you like. (Chronological order)
Saving us from Administration 6 or so years ago
Cutting costs to avoid further financial difficulties
Appointing Tilson as Manager (after realising the mistake of appointing Wignall and acting swiftly)
Overseeing a trip to the Mil Stad
Overseeing a 2nd Mil Stad final
Overseeing a 3rd Milstad visit in 2 years and gaining promotion
Winning the most prestigious Trophy in the clubs history and gaining promotion to the 2nd teir of football for only the 2nd time in the clubs history
Reducing the clubs debt
posting a significant profit for the first time in years
being in charge of a team that Beat Man Utd
getting relegated from the Championship after 1 season
obtaining season ticket sales over 3 times greater than any other season
making the play offs in the first season back
losing a playoff semi final
getting planning approval for a prestigious new stadium
Failing to sign any big names in the first 3 weeks of the transfer window.

an impressive cv...however, even the most successful company leaves the past behind, learns from any poigniant lessons, and develops from the successes...I'm sorry, at this stage of the 'close season', I dont see any positive action in taking us forward, apart from FF.
But a lot of clubs are building new stadiums, even Colchester ffs, that doesnt automatically bring success.

I fear all the momentum and hard work in the past few seasons could be easily lost.

but you seem to be making the assumption that the club is in some sort of crisis because we havent made a few signings, what will your stance be when we do get bodies in(which we definitely will), yes we played poo at braintree but everton lost to cambridge the other day its just a friendly/pre season etc

but you seem to be making the assumption that the club is in some sort of crisis because we havent made a few signings, what will your stance be when we do get bodies in(which we definitely will), yes we played poo at braintree but everton lost to cambridge the other day its just a friendly/pre season etc

its not only signings, although i am concerned as most ppl are. Hey, I want the club to succeed, and if we're up the top or bottom, I will still support them, and gosh, in 2009, i'll be there in person...

I fear there is something deeper than the signings issue...and yes, pre season means tosh.

Back