• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

benny the blue

Youth Team
i know that the it was boiling yesterday (it was the same for both teams) but i thought that we were nowhere near as sharp as cheltenham. we were a couple of yards off the pace all over the pitch. the combinations all over the pitch did not work at all.

1) Prior and Edwards cant be played together they are too slow anyone with a bit of pace will tear through them. Using Lewis hunt to partner one or the other or even as a sweeper.

2) Maher and Hunt looked a poor combination together with neither having the ability to drive forward with any form of creativity. Jay Smith is needed asap!

3) Lack of natural width- cant aim this as Gower as anything semi positive comes through him but whoever plays on the opposite. Petterfer found himself coming central far to often and playing like an extra man in the middle rather than on the wing to stretch the opposition. He wasnt fit wither having just come back from injury. Could Corbett not be given a chance on the other flank?

4) The Dudfield and Gray combination just didnt work, we played high aimless balls to two small strikers who offered no real physical presence. Bramble provided that to a degree and even Drewe would have been good out there.

5)there seemed to be a lack of communication at the back between Bart, Prior and Edwards at times- especially from crosses. I dont think it helped being left exposed by the full backs who both played very poorly.

Oh well its only the first game and things can cant be much worse than that performance, weve got to travel to Lincoln and Rochdale and hope that we get that little bit more desire and application from the players.

I bet i can get better odds than 33/1's ...

Kev

laugh.gif

Agree with comments about width. Petts is a great tackler but him and jupp didnt really gel in my eyes. Personally if fit would like to see Corbett start. Think Chelts sussed out stop Gower and stop Southend really.

Dudfield and Gray had no support other than gower from midfield and the type of balls they were getting it was no worried they struggled.

Agree with Maher and Hunt comments. Think Prior and Edwards might work well together but need some more time

DtS

Im suprised Petts didnt play left wing as he and Nicky teamed up well at the end of last season ...

Kev

Interesting comments, I wasn't there so I can't agree or disagree with any of them. However, it seems that we have the pieces on our squad to fix these problems, so lets not get worried unless we are still producing these results a couple of months

[b said:
Quote[/b] (The General @ Aug. 08 2004,21:37)]Im suprised Petts didnt play left wing as he and Nicky teamed up well at the end of last season ...

Kev
Completely agree with you on this! End of last season I thought that we looked with Petts on the left and was baffled to see that Gower was on the left for the whole match.

As for the comments about communication, I was sitting in east blacks and Spencer and Eagle didn't stop talking for the entire 45 in the first half and I heard Bart screaming on numerous ocasions! The comments that they can't play together in my opinion is not right! They were let down big style by Nicky who had a mare first half but picked up a lot in the second, and Juppy who wasn't at the races all game and could find himself losing out to Che pretty soon. I think its a pretty sad day that the two most creative players in our side on saturday were Spencer Prior and Andy Edwards. Our movement was awful all game and although Gower had his moments I thought he was another that wasn't completely with it saturday!

But then again this result last season went our way and the rest of the season was cack so hopefully it will be the opposite this season!

[b said:
Quote[/b] (The General @ Aug. 08 2004,21:37)]Im suprised Petts didnt play left wing as he and Nicky teamed up well at the end of last season...
I was somewhat suprised that switching the two wide players over wasn't tried before Petts was taken off.  Gower spent the entire game cutting inside onto his right foot & generally then put a ball in that drifted straight to the keeper.

Nicolau & Petterfer play better together I feel because Petts has the ability to help Nicky out with his defensive problems & Gower simply can't defend.  On the other side Jupp is a far better defender than Nicky & he can cover for Gower's lack of ablilty in that area of his game.  

So to have not switched them at all during the game is strange to say the least, but I gather from someone's previous conversation with Petts it's not a pre-ordained tactic, he basically just goes where Gower isn't.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (chaco27saf @ Aug. 09 2004,05:09)]Interesting comments, I wasn't there so I can't agree or disagree with any of them. However, it seems that we have the pieces on our squad to fix these problems, so lets not get worried unless we are still producing these results a couple of months
Colorado Common Sense!

I'm as gutted as anyone, but we have the best squad for a long time, some undisputed talent, and a heck of a long way to go before we need to press the panic button!

Well a few pints Jupp was sh*t must have crossed about 10 times over the bar not into the box the only decnet ball he made all day was the fk from the right inda secound half!!

spinner and Eagle we have one short centre foward and all they wanted to do was lump the ball forward to him everytime!!

nick had a good game except letting there seven past him for one of there goals!!

Petts- my mine of match!!

hunt and maher i think we need some hieght in the middle s i would say maher and bently myself!!

gower played well but not useuall self compared to last season!! and should have scored but tapped it at the keepers!!

gray well no SERVICE at all lump the ball up hope he gets it was yesterdays plan and should have scored from 8 yards out from good bramble play!!

duds had a good game tired early i thought though!!

bramble NEVER A SENDING OFF simple as that and produced the best bit of service all game to put gray 8 yars out but still plonked it at the keeper!!

i think we should play edwards and barret at the back personally!! more speed and composore i would say!!

Back