• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Post-Match Thread and Ratings Port Vale 2, Southend United 3

Evening Echo

The News
A TRIO of strikes inside the opening half an hour of the game saw Southend United triumph 3-2 at Port Vale this afternoon.

More...

Well worth the trip today and even getting soaked running back to the car at the end.

Those of you that did not go today Mohsni was hilarous at the end. Came over to the aat supporters and then when he was getting abuse from the home supporters turned to them and threw his arms in the air in victory

Well worth the trip today and even getting soaked running back to the car at the end.

Those of you that did not go today Mohsni was hilarous at the end. Came over to the aat supporters and then when he was getting abuse from the home supporters turned to them and threw his arms in the air in victory
good old mohsni, got to love the guy, you can always tell he is gonna cause the opposition problems when he plays, dont know what the club would do if they let him go or how the fans would react.

Sawyer ran his socks off today and deserves to start again on Tues night. Was good to see us keeping the ball on the floor more today than just hoofing up the field like last week.

good old mohsni, got to love the guy, you can always tell he is gonna cause the opposition problems when he plays, dont know what the club would do if they let him go or how the fans would react.

Not really, it's embarrassing he can't even come on the pitch and play for 15 minutes without being involved in a fracas and being dragged away from the opposition players, especially given that he is on a final warning and all the shenanighans of the Orient game. He should doing his all to prove he can control himself. Even more so when the team showed they can go to one of the toughest places to win in the league and perform very well without him. He won a few good headers when he came on, but we proved we can beat one of the best without him.

He needs to massively buck his ideas up. It's beyond a joke that every game we're talking about an altercation involving Mohsni. We should be talking about what a revelation Sawyer was, about how much more influential Grant was when played in the centre of the park. About how clinical we were in front of goal. And how bravely the defenders protected Morris' goal. It was a great performance, even if the second half was massively nerve wracking. Not even the pouring rain could dampen the day, yet at the end, Mohsni again is at it with the opposition players, and again is being pulled away by his own team mates. How long are the players going to put up with babysitting him.

Didn't see Moshni do to much wrong - Unlucky with the booking and some PV player pulled his hair after the full time whistle, so no surprised he was a little wound up

Didn't see Mohsni do a lot wrong today - the Vale players went looking for a fight at the final whistle and he stood his ground. I've got no problem with that. When Grant was involved at Accrington after the final whistle it was dismissed as handbags - why the difference this time? - in fact Sturrock applauded the fact all the other players went to his aid.

Didn't go to the game myself, but based on conflicting viewpoints I get the feeling some of the people with opinions of what Mohsni did or didn't do today didn't go to the game either, and are basing their opinions off what other people are saying which is pointless

I didnt go to the game today but going by what ive read from people who actualy decided to describe what happened with Mohsni, i can see why he reacted (if he did) and as somebody else said, see no difference from that and grant at Accrington. Its clear that some people now have it in for Mohsni and just decide to say things like he's a liabilty without even thinking about the actual events that lead upto these incidents.One thing is for sure, Chris Phillips has got it in for Mohsni and it's starting to **** me off now reading his opinions on his twitter about him so i've now decided to stop looking and stop following him because he's coming over very childish.

Just saw the highlights on the football league show. Deary me, what was Morris doing for the first vale goal? Going by the start to this season, its the only area of the pitch where question marks appear for me.

A cracking day out. I think we were all in a bit of daze at being 2 up in 9 minutes. Both goals were good. Dickinson showed a bit of class with his finish. We battled really hard against a very physical and not very asthetically pleasing side - particularly at the end when they threw the kitchen sink at us. It was also good to see most of the players come to us at the end, clearly delighted with their days' work (and that included Dickinson who was subbed with 15 mins to go). Not many sides will get three points at Vale Park this season, and even fewer will get three goals in the process.

Sawyer ran the midfield, and proved what he is capable of. He ran tirelessly at them and passed the ball around crisply. Leonard, for what I believe was his first start, didn't look out place. The defence looked a bit shakey at times, particularly when players ran down the centre at them (and this is becoming a regular thing in the Sturrock era).

The Mohsni incident - if someone came up behind me and pulled my hair, I'd be ever so slightly miffed. Though I do agree the celebration at the Port Vale fans wasn't bright.

Referee was shocking.

Without Mohsni,Hall and JP starting in a difficult game away from home the squad showed a lot of strength in character
to bounce back with a hard fought victory which lets be honest for many of us was very much unexpected.
Although i do think the changes that were made were pretty much forced upon PS and the players that came in Leonard and Sawyer never let him down.
Rushing into a 2-0 lead so early can make the game seem to last forever particularly against this very fit resiliant Port Vale side that not to many teams are going to come and get points from this season
Our second half performance was a battle but our defence stood firm and our midfield fought very hard in front of them
a real team effort that showed they cared and we held on and broke them.
We played a bit of football when we could but it was difficult especially away from home ,Harris failed to impress tho not sure we are providing him with the right service for him but he looks out of sorts sometimes
Sawyer showed he had the heart and lungs for a battle and gave proof that his fitness levels should not be doubted over a full 90 mins and of course keeps the ball on the floor .
Leonards second start also brought him his first goal a little fortunate but he deserved it, he got a little tired late in the game but he can be pleased with his contribution.
Mohsni well lets support him after all he is our player and a good one at that so lets not take every inciident out of proportion.
Have to perform with the same heart and energy as a team Tuesday against Crawley but as the home team would like to see us dominate them, still not totally convinced just because of this bloody fantastic away win that PS aint gonna play Hoofball tho............i really hope im wrong and PS gets the formation and the tactics right from the start this time .
But at the moment just soaking up the away win performance and boy it feels good

Last edited:
Didn't go to the game myself, but based on conflicting viewpoints I get the feeling some of the people with opinions of what Mohsni did or didn't do today didn't go to the game either, and are basing their opinions off what other people are saying which is pointless

I didnt go to the game today but going by what ive read from people who actualy decided to describe what happened with Mohsni, i can see why he reacted (if he did) and as somebody else said, see no difference from that and grant at Accrington. Its clear that some people now have it in for Mohsni and just decide to say things like he's a liabilty without even thinking about the actual events...

This is more about his previous behaviour now than his current state of mind as he's blatantly going to be targeted by every team for the rest of the season. That means it's likely to get worse before it gets better, almost a question of when he's going to snap again rather than if, simply due to the provocation.

His only option is to somehow learn to accept that the digs will be coming, expect them and then treat them with contempt and humour. That's not entirely easy in a game as passionate as this but there isn't going to be a choice.

Excellent away win to bounce back from the Burton defeat and we thoroughly deserved it. Our amazing start played a big part in it, with our first two chances both going in and that seemed to leave Port Vale shell-shocked, though our momentum was never going to last forever and they came back into it. They got a goal back when Morris came out rashly, leaving their player with a simple finish and had a few other half chances in the first half but we were always a threat and managed to get a slightly fortunate third when Leonard's shot deflected in.

As you'd expect, they came out flying for the start of the second half and won a penalty early on when Dickinson clumsily fouled their player, then scored it to put themselves back in the game. For the next 10 or 15 minutes we were hanging on and Port Vale came close a few times, but then their attacking moves seemed to fizzle out and they didn't create much until the end. Harris had two half-chances for us, he really needs to get his first goal. Port Vale put us under a lot of pressure at the end but we dug in deep and remained resilient to get the win.

It was an excellent all-round display but the players who stood out for me were Mark Phillips and Lee Sawyer. Phillips was dominant in defence and made one vital block near the end to stop a probable goal, and it was also a great header to give us the lead. Sawyer ran the midfield and always looked creative and dangerous when he had the ball, causing havoc with his trademark runs on the ball. The whole defence deserves credit for the way they stood firm towards the end, though it was a bad mistake by Morris for their first goal. Ferdinand and Leonard also played very well and it was an excellent finish from Dickinson, though he tired in the second half. Now we're up to seventh and if we beat Northampton next Saturday it will be a fantastic start to the season!

I thought that Dickinson and Harris scared the living daylights out of our central defenders today for whatever reason

Interesting comment from Vale manager Micky Adams

Hope Dickinson is ok with ankle as I think when both these guys are firing (with Corr as well) and used to playing with other they will be as leathal a front two/three that we have had in a long while

Back