• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Post-Match Thread and Ratings Port Vale 2, Southend United 3

Interesting that Morris is getting the blame for their first goal, and it certainly seems justified from the clip on the Football League show.

However on the BBC Essex commentary yesterday, Paul Clark put the blame squarely on Mark Phillips who played a bad ball and then got out of position which necessitated Morris coming out when he shouldn't have had to.

Phillips also blames himself in one of the post-match interviews, so let's not be too critical of Morris.

Interesting comments from Micky Adams:

"I think that all round the pitch we were second best, particularly in the first half. We just weren't at the races. That's not bitter after a defeat - that's all credit to Paul and his side. Having said that, we lost too many individual battles all around the pitch and if you do that, it's a problem for you."

"I thought that Dickinson and Harris scared the living daylights out of all of our central defenders today for whatever reason."

Interesting that Morris is getting the blame for their first goal, and it certainly seems justified from the clip on the Football League show.

However on the BBC Essex commentary yesterday, Paul Clark put the blame squarely on Mark Phillips who played a bad ball and then got out of position which necessitated Morris coming out when he shouldn't have had to.

Phillips also blames himself in one of the post-match interviews, so let's not be too critical of Morris.
Very safe keeper for this League, thank god Evans isn't in the wings to let Sturrock make the same mistake as last year. Wouldn't swap him for anyone in this League just because of a misjudgement!

Interesting comments from Micky Adams:

I think sometimes we are all too quick to criticise our own team if we don't play well. Many times the opposition don't let you play well. Winning a game isn't always about playing better than the other side but often - especially at this level - about stopping your opponents playing at all.

Nice to see Adams giving us credit which is clearly due.

I think sometimes we are all too quick to criticise our own team if we don't play well. Many times the opposition don't let you play well. Winning a game isn't always about playing better than the other side but often - especially at this level - about stopping your opponents playing at all.

Nice to see Adams giving us credit which is clearly due.

I think the away fans or the away manager is always going to be better judged of how Southend play. Us as fan are often far too critical becuase we want to see a goal with every forward play.

Sawyer must start against the Cobblers. Personally couldn't care less about the Creepies JPT game. Put out the reserves and save our players for the league game next Saturday.

The two aren't mutually exclusive: Phillips should have dealt better with the situation in the first place, but once he has been caught out of position Morris has to do better than that as that was wretched keeping. Wiggy makes a decent point (about goalkeeping:stunned:) when (s)he mentions this level. That's the difference between a League Two keeper like Morris and a Championship keeper like Mildenhall.

I wouldn't be too harsh on Morris here though, as he was a doubt coming into this game with illness.

Sawyer must start against the Cobblers. Personally couldn't care less about the Creepies JPT game. Put out the reserves and save our players for the league game next Saturday.

I don't think we are allowed to change the whole team for JPT games. Not sure on the rules will have a look.

O.K. if the rules are the same as last season we have to play at least 6 players that started at Port Vale or players that are first team regulars. So we can make quite a few changes but not the whole team.

I've not read through all of the PV v Blues threads so someone may have mentioned it but just wanted to say was good to see Tara sitting among us yesterday :thumbsup:. Unsure why he didn't take the normal 'prawn sandwich' option...Tara are you banned from the PV Directors' Box?

I've not read through all of the PV v Blues threads so someone may have mentioned it but just wanted to say was good to see Tara sitting among us yesterday :thumbsup:. Unsure why he didn't take the normal 'prawn sandwich' option...Tara are you banned from the PV Directors' Box?
Tara prefers to be out amongst the rank and file, not at all unusual to see him with the ordinary fans

met tara 2 or 3 times in the past,and it really strikes me what a true pompey fan he is, he evens knows john the bell down at pompey who is a legend(or was until the fa cup tie v southampton a few seasons ago!!)

According to the P/Vale website the crowd was exactly the same as for their previous week's encounter with Accy, ie 4,615. Either that's a hell of a coincidence or someone's cocked up. It certainly felt like there were more than 183 Shrimpers but I could well believe that's what Accy would have taken.

Back