• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Post-Match Thread and Ratings Port Vale 5-1 Southend United

Our confidence looks completely shot, so many basic errors were made, even in the second half Port Vale were barely trying and we still couldn't do anything aside from Ferguson's wonder strike. We need a leader that will motivate the players but I can't see where that leader is going to come from.

Just as a bit of pretext - I love this club and I’m totally behind both MM and this group of players; I feel when at full strength and set up correctly we’re a good side.
However, what I have witnessed today is nothing short of disgraceful. I’ve just paid £10 there to basically watch attack v defence - with us mustering one shot on target (albeit an excellent one). If the players and management think it’s acceptable to subject us to the last 4 performances, including the big crescendo today, they need a huge wake up call.

I won’t be posting ratings, frankly from what I can see I might as well get in touch with the club and play myself on the left wing, which believe me I will do if I see another performance like that next week.

However, All this hot air of MM losing his job is honestly hogwash. The work he has done prior to the last 4 games has been exceptional given the limited resources he has at his disposal. However, MM is most certainly responsible for the shambles that has been the last 4 games.
I don’t want to sound like a broken record, but it’s not learning that 5-3-2 does not work with these players that has angered me. One or two games? Ok no problem, worth the experiment. Continuing on having watched the sub-par performances against Cambridge and Mansfield? A wreckless decision. The results? Catastrophic.
I hear MM talk of limited options to play the 4-2-3-1 that was very effective during our recent unbeaten run. Definitely not the case today if we’d lined up like this:

Oxley

Bwonomo

White

Hobson

Hart

Demetriou

Dieng

ANG

Taylor

Hackett-Fairchild

Akinola

Basic stuff really. If you really wanted to, play Cordner in the CDM role. The guy looks like he can play with the ball at his feet, even if evidence he is competent at defending is lacking.

That said, despite MM’s recent shortcomings, to suggest he is worthy of being sacked for the performances over 4 games and indeed for the bad tactical set-up is crazy talk.

As for the players, well whilst MM has picked the wrong shape, the players could certainly make a better fist of executing it to say the least.

Basically, if you’re going to play a 5-3-2, it only means a flat 5 when you are defending. When in possession it should look more like 3-5-2, with the full backs pushing on to make the midfield. I can only guess the idea of sticking with the 5-3-2 was to utilise the wide pitch at Vale Park.

However, I didn’t see any willingness from either full back to push up. Instead what we did was sit deep and invite pressure, with absolutely no adventure to break out. That lack of execution of the formation is wholly the responsibility of the players. If the players aren’t familiar with the formation, they probably shouldn’t be professional footballers so I don’t think you can target MM for the players ‘not looking comfortable’ or ‘looking disorganised’ in this formation. The players need to pull themselves together on that front.

There was a lot of huffing and puffing in the second half, and even a marginal improvement but frankly we were dead and buried by then.

I still believe we will stay up. I still believe in MM and the players too. However, we are only staying in this division if show confidence in and utilise our creative players, specifically by playing them in a 4-2-3-1 irrespective of how our opposition choose to line up.

The day relegation to the National League was confirmed - there’s no coming back from this.

Set up to fail from the start with the negative team selection and system - we just surrendered against a side whose only victory in their last however many games was against equally pathetic Grimsby. A real bunch of no hopers including the management team.

One shot on target - just for a change it went in. I wonder if he regrets joining us yet.

Come to the conclusion that players are not good enough and they don't give a f_ck now. I was always keen to see the manager get a fair crack at the job. But No more please, time to make way for some new blood and idea`s . God this club is in some serious Sh-t, surely we the supporters deserve better. Over to you Ron !

I really don’t know what’s for the best as to whether he stays or goes, but something just tells me we should stick with him.

I have no words to say, to be honest, if the players and manager still on this page, I must not say anything as they would get abuses from me.

Back