• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Post-Match Thread and Ratings Port Vale 5-1 Southend United

I fear for MM it’s past the point of no return.

Once again though Ron got it absolutely right when he told Fagan he would need an experienced, done it got the tee shirt number 2. He teamed up with Calderwood.

Then Ron inexplicably brought a manager in also with no EFL management experience with even less experience in his team- not even played at that (EFL) level...

What MM has needed is an experience number 2 at this level. Now it’s too late.
I was 1 of those fans who wanted fagen. I liked the idea of an experience old head who knows the football leagues with younger potentially upcoming manager. Clown Martin knows best I suppose.

Gutless, inept, just a couple of many words I could use to describe what I got up to watch after a 13 hour night shift!
Second to every ball, 1st corner 67th minute, couldn’t string 3 passes together all game, hoofed and panicked at the back.
Worst performance I’ve seen in 49 years!

What really hurts is that we had given ourselves a decent chance of survival when we looked dead and buried as we entered the winter months...then we go and then serve up a performance like that today. They say it's the hope that kills you...

Hard to call them “weapons” he has signed 14 players so this is his team and he has to take responsibility. We’ve been bottom of the league all season, have just been thrashed by a side who haven’t won in 11 games and now look dead certs to lose our privileged league status, something we have retained for over 100 proud years. How **** exactly do we need to be before you might join the “weapons”?

Absolutely this. There are a number of MM apologists on here and social media who cannot/will not acknowledge that he is in any way culpable for these results.
Yes, we all know Ron is a joke, and we all readily admit that his self-serving masterplan for FF is leading to the crumbling of the very foundations upon which our Club is built, however, MM has been able to bring in some reinforcement, and has has 26 games to try and create an identity with this team - something he has failed miserably to do.
Many managers have been handed crap players. and have, at the very least, been able to train them to do the basics well, and build from there.
I never know what formation or starting line-up we will put forward from week to week, and if I am confused, God only knows what the players are thinking*

*NB. I should confirm, in no way am I defending our players. I think most of them are a bunch of useless **** ****s who are lucky to be stealing a living as professional footballers.

Re the players, I don’t think akinola could have done much more than he did today. Maybe I’m wrong and he wasn’t making little runs to make himself available but to me the only way he could have done more would have been to drop into midfield which would have been counterproductive.

The only positive is that with a Different ref I don’t think we would have finished with 11 or even 10 on the field

I've seen kids in a school playground better organised than that rabble today. I've seen some awful Southend teams in my 60 years of supporting them, but that was right up there. I'm sorry, but the set up today was all wrong. It was come and get us. We had a golden chance to do some damage to a team that was low in confidence, but we managed to make them think they were Barcelona.

Absolutely this. There are a number of MM apologists on here and social media who cannot/will not acknowledge that he is in any way culpable for these results.
Yes, we all know Ron is a joke, and we all readily admit that his self-serving masterplan for FF is leading to the crumbling of the very foundations upon which our Club is built, however, MM has been able to bring in some reinforcement, and has has 26 games to try and create an identity with this team - something he has failed miserably to do.
Many managers have been handed crap players. and have, at the very least, been able to train them to do the basics well, and build from there.
I never know what formation or starting line-up we will put forward from week to week, and if I am confused, God only knows what the players are thinking*

*NB. I should confirm, in no way am I defending our players. I think most of them are a bunch of useless **** ****s who are lucky to be stealing a living as professional footballers.

Take today’s opponents for example. Player for player are they so much better than us? I don’t believe so. Are Stevenage? Again I don’t think they are. Port Vale today though without a manager have embarrassed us because they play a very simple yet effective style of football for this league.. oddly enough the same sort of football that saw us get results in December. Right now MM for whatever reason is persisting with a formation that the players don’t look comfortable with and that’s on him, nobody else.. not even RM who can be blamed for 99% of the problems at the football club.

None of what you just said justifies personally abusing him on social media.

After today’s debacle I whispered those famous 3 little words “I hate football!”

Seriously, I really think I do right now. We lurch from one calamity to another. Nothing we do seems to work. Even with our little run in December other results contrived to keep us bottom. It’s almost like it is pre-ordained in the stars!

The situation is dreadful. Yes there are more important things in life, apparently. But watching your team is supposed to be some light relief. It’s supposed to occasionally cheer you up and improve your mood. Right now I feel absolutely lost. You know what the worst thing is? It’s that feeling of hopelessness. I cannot do anything to stop this, I’m powerless. I can only stand by and watch my beloved club slide into oblivion. As I said in another thread, if I knew where this would all bottom out and stop, that would be something, but I don’t.

Feeling miserable right now. No I’m not Morissey.

For anyone who wants to relive the match

Where to start? Just horrific, bet PV couldn’t believe their luck. Any other L2 squad watching that must be desperate to play us.

The only saving grace was Ferguson’s goal. Wonder how he feels now, bet he can’t believe what a bag-o-sh!te team he’s signed up for.

**** me, really? Has he been watching before this defeat, we've been dog **** all season. Do us a favour and just go.

Their fourth goal really got me. Their player lost the ball and was able to gather the loose ball with 3 defenders watching him. We need experience to command this defence.

Last edited:
Reactions: ace
Is it me or bad camera angles? So many players look like they are carrying excess weight and for me, as so many players are being injured it looks like most injuries are linked to lack of match fitness. But what do you expect from a PE Teacher?

Just sack him already im bored of his amateur antics now. We have been here before the season luggy come in...he is a seasoned wily fox who stopped us slipping into oblivion. This time round we have had 3 amateur managers in a row...Bond might be 106 years old but his one previous attempt at management in 1954 was an epic fail, Sol Campbell again just his second job and clearly can't be professional off the pitch and then when we need another luggy we go for PE teacher Phil, who prob only got the PE teacher job because he was working as the janitor on the day the PE teacher quit. Not only was he vastly inexperienced he then goes and brings in the least experienced and biggest back room staff in the history of STFC!! Absolutely the worst Molesley since Oswald

Back