• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Hi,

I'm the pre-match reporter for the Port Vale Fans Forum One Vale Fan.

Part of my role is to contact fans of our forthcoming opponents to ask them a few questions and gain their views on the upcoming fixture between our sides in order to produce a report which we release on the site a couple of days prior to the game.

I wondered if one or more of you (up to a maximum of 3 due to space constraints) have a few minutes and would kindly be prepared to share a few views / your feelings on the game by answering the following few questions;
1. Tell us a bit about yourself & history as a fan?
2. How do you expect your team to do this season (including a forecast for a positional finish for the entire season)?
3. Who should we watch out for (one or more danger player/s)?
4. What are your thoughts on your manager and his signings this season?
5. What are your thoughts on your board & off field club activities?
6. Which one Vale player would you take past or present to add value to your squad?
7. How do you expect Vale to do this season?
8. What is your team's most memorable game with Vale (good or bad reasons)?
9. A score prediction (and potential scorers for both sides)?
Please also feel free to include any other information you feel worthy and I will knock it into a report as per the example below regarding contribution from Notts County fans from a game with them;
http://www.onevalefan.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?76437-Opposing-views-Notts-County-(H)

To enable me to produce this in good time I need a reply by Thursday and the report will appear on our website prior to the fixture.

Please also let me know if you would like me to include your name on the article and if you are prepared to share one a photo of yourself we can utilise with the article.

Many thanks for your potential support in this matter.

Best Regards,
REP :thumbsup:

Fan for 15 years and season ticket holder for 10, temporarily exiled due to university.

2. How do you expect your team to do this season (including a forecast for a positional finish for the entire season)?
More or less as we have so far. Struggling at times against the better sides, but picking up points against those around and below us and a season of midtable mediocrity. Injuries to strikers could cause us problems as we don't have much depth there, but Phil Brown has made us very hard to beat so I wouldn't expect too much of a relegation fight.

If fit, Noel Hunt has the intelligence to really cause problems and it's clear that he's played at a much higher level. Otherwise then David Worrall can cause problems for most defences in this league down the wing, particularly when combined with attacking left back Ben Coker, but your main issue will be getting the ball past Dan Bentley, who's been linked with the likes of QPR and Hull.

Pretty good, promotion last season was needed for Brown and he's carried on with the same tactics of being hard to beat and usually grabbing a goal and protecting a lead. It's working so fair play to him.
Summer signings, Noel Hunt and Anthony Wordsworth have looked great acquisitions but are yet to really get a run in the side due to injuries and the form of others. David Mooney has been good without setting the world alight and play-off hero Joe Pigott is back but adapting to this level. Stephen McLaughlin is yet to feature due to illness but was impressive on loan last season, and Glen Rea on loan and Luke O'Neill provide good cover.

This would be easier to answer if we had a clue what was going on, we were due to move into our new ground in 2011 and a spade is yet to go into the ground, with plans changing every 5 minutes. That said, Ron Martin has put the money in for a few signings and training ground improvements since Brown has come in.

6. Which one Vale player would you take past or present to add value to your squad?
I know a few would love Anthony Grantvback as pretty much the only player who didn't deserve us after relegation in 2010, but a striker with Tom Pope's record certainly wouldn't go amiss.

Midtable, maybe pushing for top half if you hit form or other sides drop off. Seems you're making slow and steady progress, the opposite of what we usually do!

Probably won't stand out to everyone, but probably our best season in recent history in 2005-06 when we achieved back to back promotions by winning League 1 kicked off with a home defeat to Port Vale.

We're unpredictable at home so hard to say, I'll go for 1-0 to SUFC with a goal from David Mooney.

Last edited:
<strong>1. Tell us a bit about yourself & history as a fan?<br></strong>Fan for 15 years and season ticket holder for 10, temporarily exiled due to university.<strong><br>
<strong>2. How do you expect your team to do this season (including a forecast for a positional finish for the entire season)?<br></strong></strong>More or less as we have so far. Struggling at times against the better sides, but picking up points against those around and below us and a season of midtable mediocrity. Injuries to strikers could cause us problems as we don't have much depth there, but Phil Brown has made us very hard to beat so I wouldn't expect too much of a relegation fight.<strong><strong><br>
3. Who should we watch out for (one or more danger player/s)?<br></strong></strong>If fit, Noel Hunt has the intelligence to really cause problems and it's clear that he's played at a much higher level. Otherwise then David Worrall can cause problems for most defences in this league down the wing, particularly when combined with attacking left back Ben Coker.<strong><strong><br>
<strong>4. What are your thoughts on your manager and his signings this season?</strong><br>
</strong></strong><strong></strong>Pretty good, promotion last season was needed for Brown and he's carried on with the same tactics of being hard to beat and usually grabbing a goal and protecting a lead. It's working so fair play to him. <br>
Summer signings, Noel Hunt and Anthony Wordsworth have looked great acquisitions but are yet to really get a run in the side due to injuries and the form of others. David Mooney has been good without setting the world alight and play-off hero Joe Pigott is back but adapting to this level. Stephen McLaughlin is yet to feature due to illness but was impressive on loan last season, and Glen Rea on loan and Luke O'Neill provide good cover.<strong><strong><strong><br>
5. What are your thoughts on your board & off field club activities?<br></strong></strong></strong>This would be easier to answer if we had a clue what was going on, we were due to move into our new ground in 2011 and a spade is yet to go into the ground, with plans changing every 5 minutes. That said, Ron Martin has put the money in for a few signings and training ground improvements since Brown has come in.<strong><strong><strong><br>
<strong>6. Which one Vale player would you take past or present to add value to your squad?<br></strong></strong></strong></strong>I know a few would love Anthony Grantvback as pretty much the only player who didn't deserve us after relegation in 2010, but a striker with Tom Pope's record certainly wouldn't go amiss.<strong><strong><strong><strong><br>
<strong>7. How do you expect Vale to do this season?<br></strong></strong></strong></strong></strong>Midtable, maybe pushing for top half if you hit form or other sides drop off. Seems you're making slow and steady progress, the opposite of what we usually do!<strong><strong><strong><strong><strong><br>
<strong>8. What is your team's most memorable game with Vale (good or bad reasons)?<br></strong></strong></strong></strong></strong></strong>Probably won't stand out to everyone, but probably our best season in recent history in 2005-06 when we achieved back to back promotions by winning League 1 kicked off with a home defeat to Port Vale.<strong><strong><strong><strong><strong><strong><br>
<strong>9. A score prediction (and potential scorers for both sides)?<br></strong></strong></strong></strong></strong></strong></strong>We're unpredictable at home so hard to say, I'll go for 1-0 to SUFC with a goal from David Mooney.<strong><strong><strong><strong><strong><strong><strong></strong></strong></strong></strong></strong></strong></strong>

strong posting.

Hope this is of some use to you

I'm a 3rd generation Blues fan, my grandad having been part of the group that helped build Roots Hall back in the 50s. Been coming along since the early 70s, still with my dad, but also with my husband and sometimes my son (when work permits). I'm a member of the Shrimpers Trust and run the Junior Blues on behalf of the club and the Trust, we currently have just over 300 members.

2. How do you expect your team to do this season (including a forecast for a positional finish for the entire season)? As one of the pre season favourites for relegation (amongst forecasters) I will be more than happy with an upper mid table finish this season, anything above and I will be ecstatic!

3. Who should we watch out for (one or more danger player/s)? Ben Coker, our left back. Also Noel Hunt, if he's fit, still shows an amazingly good footballing brain, just need to get a few others on the same wavelength! Our winger, David Worrall can be amazing on his day too, but can be marked out of a game sometimes. Plus, of course, our highly rated goalkeeper Dan Bentley, who was our star man with his penalty saves at the Play Off final at Wembley last season!

4. What are your thoughts on your manager and his signings this season? Phil Brown is a bit marmite, you either love him or loathe him. I've had a bit more opportunity to meet him in the course of Junior Blues events and he's always been great to work with, very proactive with the youngsters, I also got to witness him having his back waxed for charity as part of Sky's FL92 this season! He's brought in some real quality in Noel Hunt, Anthony Wordsworth and David Mooney, just need to get them to click.

5. What are your thoughts on your board & off field club activities? Off field I believe we have one of the best Youth Academies around in the lower leagues. We also have an excellent Community and Educational department. The board, well, our Chairman is despised by many supporters and our attempts to build a new stadium have been going on for decades so it's not really any big surprise! I do believe it will happen though and in the not too distant future.

6. Which one Vale player would you take past or present to add value to your squad? I think you have a great player in your Watford loanee Uche Ikpeazu!

7. How do you expect Vale to do this season? Similar to us I think, bubbling around mid table.

8. What is your team's most memorable game with Vale (good or bad reasons)? Our home game against you 5 years ago, when Paul Sturrock had just rebuilt our side in the summer and we had (and still do) your former player, Luke Prosser, playing in defence who just had an absolute mare, poor bloke! Lost his confidence for a while but has come back stronger and is now a consistent and reliable member of the defence. We lost 3-1 to you.

9. A score prediction (and potential scorers for both sides)? Our home support is not the most patient and they get on the players' backs. If we start well, then things will go ok but if we don't the impatient ones will start making things difficult for the players and it could all end up going wrong. I am hopeful, so will say 2-1 to us. I reckon Worrall and Mooney to score for us.

47 years old, blues fan for 35 years season ticket holder and shareholder

I think we'll struggle against sides with big budgets but the season has shown so far we should be able to hold our own in this division. I'll say 12th.

Noel Hunt is a class act, but due to injuries seems to only play one game in three! Dan Bentley is tipped for higher things by people that know.

Phil Brown sets his teams up to not concede so we don't often see many goals, however he's an astute man who seems well respected in the game by those who know (although often not by opposition fans). Signings so far have been OK - Hunt is class, Wordsworth should be OK, Mooney is proven at this level, O'Neill, McLaughlin and Pigott have good potential to succeed and Rea looks to be a decent loanee

Oh dear, where do I start? A new ground has been on the drawing board for decades now, there is a pattern that sees exciting new plans announced then silence for 9 months then a change of plan. We seem to be able to invest in the squad and facilities one month and then being taken to court by HMRC or another creditor the next. Who knows what is going on behind the scenes!

Anthony Grant was a very popular player at Southend as he stuck by us when many others walked away, so I'd have him back.

Probably a bit similar to us - mid-table

A 3-2 away win for us in August 2011 - Anthony Grant played for us that day (and got booked!)

2-1 Southend with goals from Mooney and Worrall for us and a rare Anthony Grant strike for you!

I sent this to you in a message, but here's my answers...

I have been a fan for 17 years, attending my first game when I was three, where I fell asleep according to my parents! I've been a season ticket holder since the 2004-05 season, when we won the League Two Play-Off Final.

I expect us to find our feet quickly. We won three in a row (beating Millwall away, Scunthorpe at home & Crewe away) prior to our defeat away at Burton on the 3rd. Based on that, if we can keep it up, we'll easily finish mid-table. Anything more than that is a bonus.

This one's easy, Ben Coker & David Worrall. Coker is our left back and works wonders with Worrall, who tends to switch wings. Ben is an attacking left back and Worrall is dangerous on both sides of midfield. Both are great free-kick takers too.

Brown is a decent manager and like any manager, wants to get the best out of each of his players. He's made some really good signings, especially the experienced striker, Noel Hunt. He, David Mooney & the returning Joe Pigott haven't had the best of starts goalscoring-wise, but i'm sure it will improve. I did expect much more from Anthony Wordsworth, who we signed from Ipswich. He's been very average so far. Right back Luke O'Neill, who we had on loan from Burnley a few years ago (when he only played 45 minutes before getting injured, after setting up a goal) seems to have settled in well and we now have him permanantly. O'Neill is currently keeping our captain, John White out of the team.

The board as a whole aren't bad but when it comes to Ron Martin, our chairman, the first thing people will mention (and I don't blame them) is our potential new stadium. He's promised us for ages that building will start but it never has.

Anthony Grant. No doubt. An excellent team player and in my opinion, one of Port Vale's best players. Would welcome him back to Roots Hall with open arms and I hope he gets a good reception on Saturday. Uche Ikpeazu is good too, but I'll stick with my first choice, Grant.

Like us, I think Port Vale will comfortably finish mid-table, although could be one of the sides to make a late push for the play-offs, having seen your run-in.

That would be a very entertaining 0-0 draw at Roots Hall a few years ago. I don't remember much about the game (which may seem strange, given your question), but I do remember it was entertaining. Although, I do know that Vale were wearing a pink kit!

I think we'll draw. 1-1, David Worrall scoring for us and Ikpeazu scoring for Vale.

Answers 1-5 may come later...

6 Ronnie Allen-became a fantastic player with the mighty Albion.
7. 15th
8 After many,many years of trying,I saw my first ever away league win at Vale Park ,first game of 67-8? Season 1-2 with a last minute twice-taken Mckinven penalty.
9. 2-1 to us.Leonard 2- I'm sure he'll come good,Plodder o.g. He won't.

7. 15th
8 After many,many years of trying,I saw my first ever away league win at Vale Park ,first game of 67-8? Season 1-2 with a last minute twice-taken Mckinven penalty.

I think we know you don't rate Luke Prosser. Maybe we don't need to be reminded in every post you make.

7. 15th

I know , why not start abusing him in the warm up or better still , become a mascot and do it pre-match in the changing rooms.
Let's hope he doesn't do another 'last ditch' block or tackle to get us out of trouble again..................

Brilliant replies guys thanks very much and more than enough for the article. I will piece it together and it normally appears on the One Vale Fan site on Fridays.

I know , why not start abusing him in the warm up or better still , become a mascot and do it pre-match in the changing rooms.
Let's hope he doesn't do another 'last ditch' block or tackle to get us out of trouble again..................

We have our fair share as I suppose all forums do that have already made their mind up on players.

That said Luke wasn't great for us in what was a god awful team so I'm not going to start defending him!!

We have our fair share as I suppose all forums do that have already made their mind up on players.

That said Luke wasn't great for us in what was a god awful team so I'm not going to start defending him!!

He was very poor when we got him from you guys , but it's been a few years now and he has IMO improved each year. Some however , will never look beyond the start and never accept a player can grow and change.
Last weekends own goal did not help.

He was very poor when we got him from you guys , but it's been a few years now and he has IMO improved each year. Some however , will never look beyond the start and never accept a player can grow and change.
Last weekends own goal did not help.

He wasn't though, he was signed as first choice alongside Phillips and started very well. It was only trying too hard, as a young man trying to impress his former employers, that did for him!

Back