• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Post-Match Thread and Ratings Portsmouth 2-0 Southend United

Looked better in the second half but damage was done in first half, not a great line-up to begin with, too negative.

More...

SOUTHEND United skipper Sam Mantom felt a poor first half performance was to blame for Saturday’s 2-0 defeat at table-topping Portsmouth.

More...

Well why didn't they go on and do so then? If you're well on top against lesser opposition then you take full advantage of the situation, that's what top clubs do yet Pompey failed in that. For a top team can't say I was that overly impressed.

Think they have delusions of grandeur.

Even their fella who popped on our thread earlier said they like to go fast at teams and kill them off early, yet from the radio we had the better of the first 10 minutes or so.

I guess it would take an age to check, but if Turner is now injured, is there another League One side with nine or more first-team injuries?

The myth that we have nine or more 'first team injuries' needs nailing here and now. Hopper and Coker definitely. Demetriou out for a few weeks but arguably Elvis is a more than adequate replacement. The others are not first team regulars, whether any of them might eventually become so is a moot point but the injuries situation does not excuse eccentric team selections, questionable substitutions and the growing impression that Powell has lost his way.

The myth that we have nine or more 'first team injuries' needs nailing here and now. Hopper and Coker definitely. Demetriou out for a few weeks but arguably Elvis is a more than adequate replacement. The others are not first team regulars, whether any of them might eventually become so is a moot point but the injuries situation does not excuse eccentric team selections, questionable substitutions and the growing impression that Powell has lost his way.

nah - Southend support has lost its way and turned into a bunch of moaners ...

This is where we debate whether someone is/should be a 'regular'. Lennon? Kiernan? Turner? I think you might want to consider them added to the two above, and we'll split the difference at five if you think Elvis is better than Demi.
Even then, that's nearly half a team.

Both Bollocks and bollox are both swear filter proof for reasons completely baffling to me. It was the same on the old site too. Any way, bollocks to it as it is my favourite swear word when I'm grumpy.

I can clear this one up. They are both swear filter proof because I haven’t added them to the filter :Smile:

That was an oversight on part but I don’t find either of them particularly offensive personally so as long as they are used sparingly, and not too inappropriately, then I’m minded to not make a change just yet unless my fellow mods disagree

I can clear this one up. They are both swear filter proof because I haven’t added them to the filter :Smile:

That was an oversight on part but I don’t find either of them particularly offensive personally so as long as they are used sparingly, and not too inappropriately, then I’m minded to not make a change just yet unless my fellow mods disagree
i'm sorry ,but that answer is simply bollox

That's a fair point, but if that was the case, we have other players (youngsters) we could have had on the bench and the likes of McL and Dieng could provide cover at the back.

Which youngsters?

Thats because we expected so much more this season and its all gone belly up for one reason or another.

Why was so much expected this season? Did you not see the squad and League position inherited?

That’s on the fans, not the management. Mid table and a cup run was always going to be a good season with an ageing squad in decline.

Best case scenario was that Lennon and Barrett could lift us to upper mid table but injuries has put that to bed.

This is where we debate whether someone is/should be a 'regular'. Lennon? Kiernan? Turner? I think you might want to consider them added to the two above, and we'll split the difference at five if you think Elvis is better than Demi.
Even then, that's nearly half a team.
Can't include Kiernan in any discussion as he has never been anywhere near becoming even a potential squad member even during Brown's tenure. Lennon was a reckless signing, someone with a history of injuries, who has barely featured and can't be judged as a loss because we have only had glimpses of his potential. Still only two in my opinion. If Turner is out for any length of time, despite his poor performances, might grudgingly raise that to three!

LOL! .. Quality! :Smile::Smile:

That was to lure them into a false sense of security and catch them off their guard!

NO matter what the team selection or tactics, Southend United would have found Saturday’s trip to table-topping Portsmouth tough going.

More...

Back