• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Mick

Life President
For our visit to Portsmouth where we have only ever won once (last year!), the man in charge tomorrow is Lee Collins from Surrey. He was fast tracked through the system and rose to the level of League referee remarkably quickly, this being his fourth season.

He started his career off with 6 red cards in his first 11 matches, then calmed down a lot.

He has now settled at an average card rate and his last Southend match was Wimbledon at home this season - one of many disappointing home matches - when we lost 1-0. Four yellows: Bolger for us and three for them.

Before that it was the 0-0 home draw with Bury last March when he sent off Barry Corr and cautioned Egan and Leonard (and two of theirs).

Previously it was our wretched performance at Newport last season where he was comfortably more competent than the players. Atkinson's yellow was the only card of the match.

His previous home match was the League Cup defeat by Yeovil. A yellow for Prosser and four of theirs.

And before that, he killed the game for Dagenham with a unjustifiable red card after 8 minutes (which was subsequently rescinded). A further yellow for Phillips and a comfortable 3-1 win thanks to two goals from Britt.

He has refereed Southend on two other previous occasions. More recently, Oxford away at the end of the 2011/12 season (one caution for us, two for them) and before that at, co-incidentally, Dagenham in the 3-2 League win when he cautioned Mohsni and again two of theirs. He didn't attract much comment, adverse or otherwise.

His 17 matches this season have seen 57 yellows and 2 reds with 10 of the yellows coming in one match - his last visit to Fratton Park !!

All four of the team hail from Surrey. Assistants will be Nigel Lugg from Chipstead and Dan Robathan from Dorking. Charles Breakspear, a fully fledged but unconvincing League referee, is 4th Official. He is from Walton-on-Thames and recently refereed the home match against Burton.

Interestingly we won away at Portsmouth last season after being 1 goal down and having a player sent off, with BBBC scoring the winner.

We did that again last week, so let's hope for something a bit less eventful, but with the same outcome.

So now Mr Collins has red carded Barry twice.
And given us 2 reds in 7 games.
Although as we seem to be getting reds most weekend perhaps his average is lower than ours.:'(

Thought of this thread as soon as Corr was sent off as remember reading this ref had sent him off before!!

I hope we don't see this ref again as he was at best woeful! Gave us nothing, including a foul on Thompson in the first half that was borderline sexual assault! If I could see it from 10-15 yards away the ref has no excuse other than the no guts to give a decision.

He didn't let things flow & was definitely a homer. The first booking on Corr was harsh & some of the fouls deserved bookings, but the ref couldn't decide what kind of ref he wanted to be!

I was saying the same thing yesterday .I said just that the ref was a defo homer gave them everything and us nothing . Then to red cards in a short space of time .

He was awful, most one-sided ref I've seen in a long time.

I said said same during game.
Couldn't wait to send Corr off

blatant handball against them first half, then exactly same incident second half given against us.
Influenced by crowd and occasion

Back