• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

RHB

I'm a Mod too⭐⭐
Staff member
After an barren Saturday afternoon last week this coming Saturday brings a welcome return to action away to Portsmouth FC at Fratton Park.

Its confirmed that the match is all ticket and a 4 figure following for the Blues is looking very likely. Portsmouth sit in 11th position, one above us with both clubs on 23 points.

So, my starting eleven for the match is:
Oxley
Demetriou Ferdinand White Timlin
Kightly Wright Lenny Wordsworth
Cox Fortune​

This is the team I think PB will go with. I reckon Turner will make the bench but not start for this one.

Thoughts?

The only difference I would make is White at LB and Turner, if fit, CB alongside Ferdinand, I still feel Timlin is a liability at LB.

Oxley
White Ferdinand Turner Demetriou
Kightly Wright Leonard McLaughlin
Cox Fortune

We'll see...​

The only difference I would make is White at LB and Turner, if fit, CB alongside Ferdinand, I still feel Timlin is a liability at LB.

I personally feel to play Ferdinand and Turner at the back together you need to play a third in there alongside them to offer some pace

Oxley
Demitrou Ferdinand White Turner Timlin
Wright Leonard Wordsworth
Cox Ranger​

I don’t like Timlin at left back but he’s one of 3 ever presents in the league this season so he’s not getting dropped

Oxley
Demitrou Ferdinand White Turner Timlin
Wright Leonard Wordsworth
Cox Ranger​

Yeah, I like the look of that, though to be fair to Turner, he looked more than capable in the Chuck it up trophy game - oodles more pace than Ferdinand, that's for sure!

Not sure about Ranger though, Theo seems to have hit more form and Marco is, I think, still Cox's preferred partner.

Looking forward to this immensely, new ground - finally - for me!

Their back four are collectively a big unit, all four a big guys. So aimlessly launching the ball up to Ranger won't work. Additionally, they have Hawkins up top who is also a big unit. White has been beaten in the air by big number 9's a few times this season and Ferdinand hasn't been much better in the air either. It could well mean an unlikely start for Turner.

They also play a 4-2-3-1 formation, so playing our usual 4-4-2 may mean getting over run in midfield. There is a lot for Brown to think about. Let's hope our 'scouts' have done their homework.

It's similar to Walsall away, stick Lenny on Pitman like he stuck to Otzumer, then we have a good chance.

Utb!

Their back four are collectively a big unit, all four a big guys. So aimlessly launching the ball up to Ranger won't work. Additionally, they have Hawkins up top who is also a big unit. White has been beaten in the air by big number 9's a few times this season and Ferdinand hasn't been much better in the air either. It could well mean an unlikely start for Turner.

They also play a 4-2-3-1 formation, so playing our usual 4-4-2 may mean getting over run in midfield. There is a lot for Brown to think about. Let's hope our 'scouts' have done their homework.

It's similar to Walsall away, stick Lenny on Pitman like he stuck to Otzumer, then we have a good chance.

Utb!

Interesting views Dan. Although Nile started against Colchester I can't see him starting against Pompey. I'm not sure whether it's a fitness thing or maybe Phil is trying to get him to man up a bit more in terms of effort etc. If I'm right then we will pumping aimless balls up to Coxy and Fortune instead (I really hope not). As for Turner, I think he still needs a bit more game time to dominate in the air. Again, Colchester players did him a few times in the air, and for a big unit like him that shouldn't happen.

Cant see PB changing his back four. Two clean sheets in the last 2 league games and despite what some claimed on here they weren't that bad at Yeovil.

Kightly was poor and Wordsworth certainly needs to look over his shoulder with Wright and Dru capable of playing in the middle. Personally I think Ranger done enough against Col U to get a start at Pompey. We need more punch in the first 20 than MAF provides. I guess it depends on last Fridays inter club game....Did Ranger fancy it ?

Start with Robinson. I no you guys dismiss him, but he seems to have turned his game round. I would like to see him given a start.

Start with Robinson. I no you guys dismiss him, but he seems to have turned his game round. I would like to see him given a start.

Agreed. Relegating him back to the bench will only destroy his confidence again. Him up top with Cox could work providing we don't play direct balls to their heads from the back.

:loyalsupporter::loyalsupporter::loyalsupporter:
Looking forward to this as only down the road for me.... where's everyone drinking beforehand

:loyalsupporter::loyalsupporter::loyalsupporter:
Looking forward to this as only down the road for me.... where's everyone drinking beforehand

That's a good question.

Why don't we let Harold Baim and one of his wonderful Public Information Films help out, along with Telly Savalas, of course! :smile: :-

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6EmrGSqteGo

These films are broadcasting gold. If you haven't seen the Birmingham one, then it's a must!

LOL :smile:

I think Baim was commissioned to put some films together in 1981 to promote certain towns and Portsmouth was chosen as one, along with Birmingham and Aberdeen.

They are great viewing. There's even one called 'Enfield - My Kinda Town!' :smile: :-

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=frKzMXglJH8

It will be a tough game in a hostile environment, but I'm hopeful more than expectant that we can pick up points.

1500 odd Shrimpers in a crowd of 18k should be a decent away day.

No idea on the team or whether turner should get the nod but it's a tough team choice now with players returning from injury.

C'mon you blues

Back