• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Official Match Thread Portsmouth FC vs Southend United

The Big Dady

¡Viva la Kevolución! ⭐️ ⭐️
Staff member
The Official Match Thread brought to you by ShrimperZone.com

So here we are the eleventh away game of the 2018/19 season and the 20th away game since Chris Powell’s return and time in charge at the Mighty Shrimpers.

Our tenth away match is against Portsmouth.
SkyBet League One.jpg

image.pngVS.pngSUFC.jpg

It is now time for ALL of us to get behind him and the team whether you are at Fratton Park, listening on the radio, or watching on ifollow.

Chris Powell's 11th Southend United League One Away Team of the 2018/19 season and we will be wearing our Orange away kit ((See bottom of post).

Dt5i14JXgAELeB-.jpg

Fratton Park, is ready for action at 3.00pm Saturday 8th December, it looks like we are going to have a very windy afternoon with driving rain so wrap up warm.

Dt5RuzRX4AAzvGu.jpg

Dt5RuCfXQAAD8Jt.jpg

The weather forecast for day at Fratton Park

Portsmouth v SUFC Weather.png

Chris Powell’s current away record after 20 games

Won 8
Drawn 4
Lost 9
Goals scored 23
Goals conceded 26

League Positions Last Season

8th (2017/18) Portsmouth
10th (2017/18) Southend United

League Positions Current Season

1st (2018/19 Season) Portsmouth
14th (2018/19 Season) Southend United

Recent League Positions Change
Portsmouth v SUFC Positions.png
Previous five Meetings

Southend United 3-1 Portsmouth (L1 17/02/18 Att. 9,397)
Portsmouth 1-0 Southend United (L1 18/11/18 Att. 18,431)
Portsmouth 1-2 Southend United (L1 24/01/15 Att. 15,573)
Southend United 2-0 Portsmouth (L1 13/09/14 Att. 7,023)
Southend United 2-1 Portsmouth (L1 1/01/14 Att. 7,736)

Head to Head record

Southend United Wins: 11
Draws: 8
Portsmouth 16

Southend United will be playing in our Orange away kit confirmed by the club pre-match, (Please Note @Mark Stevart: This has been checked and verified by the club before the game)

Dt5jXcEW4AAxHXu.jpg

Wiggle it, Just a Little Bit!

Managers Pre-match Views

Portsmouth

Kenny Jacket talks to the Portsmouth OS before the game

You have to travel back 16 years to find the last time that Pompey managed to win seven matches in succession.

That run – which stopped at eight victories – came at the start of the 2002/03 campaign and helped lay the foundations for securing promotion to the Premier League.

The latest sequence includes league successes over Bradford, Scunthorpe and Walsall, FA Cup triumphs at Maidenhead and Rochdale, and Checkatrade Trophy wins against both Tottenham and Arsenal’s youngsters.

It is points rather than cup progress that most concerns Kenny Jackett, though, and he hopes his side can continue their fine form.

The Blues boss said: “It’s a pleasing statistic to hear and we are ticking along nicely in all three competitions.

“What was effectively our second string on Tuesday night produced a good performance – both as a team and individually.

“Now we quickly swing back to what is undoubtedly our priority, which is the league, and look forward to a vital run of games.

“We have to break each match down individually and take confidence from the last one, while also focusing on what’s ahead.

“If you go with a humble mentality of making sure you work hard enough to earn your points, then hopefully it will help you keep a degree of consistency.”

Pompey will have to see off Chris Powell’s mid-table Southend side if they are to extend their sequence.

Jackett said: “They have not scored too many goals and not conceded too many either, so they’ve been quite consistent in that sense.

“I think they’re more than good enough to compete in this division and have a strong squad – now their challenge is to transform into a top six side.

“It’s a different type of challenge for us, but it’s the most important game of the season because it’s our next one.”

Jackett will have Tom Naylor available against the Shrimpers after the midfielder recovered from a minor groin injury.

He said: “Tom has trained this week and is fit for Saturday, but David Wheeler is still out and while Dion Donohue is back in full training, he’s not quite ready to play yet.

“As we stand at the moment, it’s a relatively fit squad we’ve got and that can only be good news for me.”

Full text can be found here:-
https://www.portsmouthfc.co.uk/news/2018/december/the-magnificent-seven/

Southend United

Chris Powell talks to the Southend United OS before the game

Chris Powell’s side won’t have much time to reflect on their Checkatrade Trophy win over Luton Town on Wednesday with a third game in a week seeing Blues travel to Portsmouth...

The Southend boss knows of the challenges that his side will face when they take on Pompey, but he believes that the crowd and their top of the table form can boost Blues and give them that energy that they will need to get the result over the line.

On facing Portsmouth

“We are going to go their (Fratton Park) and be prepared on what to expect, on what we can hopefully do against them and how we deal with certain situations.

“We know they are league leaders, they have good players at this level in key areas, but we’ve got to be up for it and ready for the battle. We’ve faced Barnsley and Luton this week and we end it with a trip to the league leaders which is always a tough place to go with their fans, regardless of what's going on they will ring their bells and sing their songs and we’ve got to be ready to stand up for ourselves and be brave enough to play our football in the right areas.

“We need to be better in the final third, because we build up well but it's just that final bit that lets us down, so if we can do that then we have a real chance, because we know our chances will be at a premium, it will be tough, but I know we can summon up some energy because Barnsley and Luton have been real tests for us physically, but we will go there and do our absolute best to come home with a victory.”

On their strong home support

“As a player, I think you should embrace going to places where the fans are trying to put you off.

“When their team gets a corner, they put you under pressure, but that’s why you're in the game for, you want to show people that you can get through that and actually group the other end and be positive, be creative and take chances.

“We’ve been to Sunderland and I know the final result wasn't to our liking, but we went there and really put them on the back foot, and we have to be of a similar ilk, a similar stature and impose ourselves as much as we can down in the South coast.”

An injury update

“Simon Cox, Timothée Dieng and Harry Bunn were rested on Wednesday, they’ve got knocks and would have been 50/50 for the Luton game and I’d rather give some other players a go.

“We went there (Luton) strong enough with the 11 and the 18 so hopefully they will be in contention on Saturday.

“Tim has given us a lot physically lately and having a rest won’t do him no harm.

“Cox took a heavy whack against Barnsley and eventually we took him off and he hasn’t trained since so hopefully they’ve had enough treatment and enough rest now to be ready for Portsmouth.”

Full text can be found here:-
https://www.southendunited.co.uk/news/2018/december/powells-pompey-preview/

Wiggle it, Just a Little Bit!

Questions being asked on twitter about who is going to play left wing back?...McLaughlin?

Surely it will be Macca at left-wing back. Something he did in his Forest days. I'm surprised we haven't seen it more than we have over the years. I'm happy with that tbh.

Oli Hawkins is going to run rings around White and Turner.

Yep, that side's OK I think.

Good to see Isaac on the bench.

I see that as a 4-5-1 with Bwomono playing left-back and Bunn on the right rather than the left. McLaughlin does his defensive duties, that's one thing he can't be faulted for so Elvis will get some protection. It's the same formation we played vs Scunthorpe which for the most part in my recollection worked well but we need to stay a lot more focused than that night!

It could be the other way. I just assume they put it left to right because that's how we read things.

If you're going to listen on BBC Essex I think Glen Speller is back. I live in hope.

Back