• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Possible Goalkeeper Targets

BoyWonder2

2024, the year of the Shrimpers 🍤 ⭐
The vast majoirty on here believe we need a new goalkeeper for next season, me included and I'd like to find out who we believe would be the best option to go for.

I saw that Tony Warner was released from Fulham a week or so ago. A tall (6 foot 4) commanding goalkeeper, who is also very experienced. Made a couple of errors earlier on in the season for Fulham but also put in some brilliant performances.

Other options include released Michael Oakes, although that was from our faviourite rumours website, so thats probably a no go.

Russell Hoult was mentioned a couple of times on here.

Then you have promising goalkeepers in our division, Kieran Westwood at Carlisle, which I think if he was to leave would go up a division seeing as his been in the Republic of Ireland squad. You also have Bunn at Northampton who spent a bit of time training at Manchester City.

Who would you like us to go for? Feel free to mention others on here.

Westwood & Bunn are way out of our league financially.

I mentioned Tony Warner last summer and at various times this year when potential replacements for Flahavan have been discussed. I think he's exactly the sort of proven quality, experienced goalkeeper we should be looking at. Had we had a Neil Sullivan or a Mark Crossley this season I think we could well have taken that second spot.

I would be happy with Warner or Hoult. Both experienced keepers that i think would do well here. Shame we didn't go in for Sullivan last year after he was released by Leeds. Thought he looked very assured when we played them (though with very little to do admittedly)

Wouldn't touch Warner with a barge pole! Did you see the Carling Cup game when he played in goal against us for Leeds? We were cheering him because he was sooooo bad! Fulham have released him for a reason - he's rubbish!

I would be happy with Warner or Hoult. Both experienced keepers that i think would do well here. Shame we didn't go in for Sullivan last year after he was released by Leeds. Thought he looked very assured when we played them (though with very little to do admittedly)

Have you actually seen Warner play recently? He really isn't very good.

Hoult is certainly the right height for a keeper (6ft 4) but hasn't played a lot of first team football in the last three years.

I tell you who I do like as a goalkeeper and wouldn't mind signing, not sure how old he is. But he was cracking at Roots Hall and at The Bescott is Clayton Ince. Would also love to sign Kieran Westwood but that is never going to happen. He will be wanted by a handful of championship clubs and maybe even some premiership clubs.

Dean Brill. He's a good keeper, better than what we have at the moment IMO, won't be on massive wages and Luton have put everyone up for sale.

Andy Marshall has fallen down the pecking order at Coventry.

Experienced keeper, played for Ipswich, Norwich and Millwall (played in the FA Cup Final).

Tilly was looking at him a few years ago IIRC.

Andy Marshall has fallen down the pecking order at Coventry.

Experienced keeper, played for Ipswich, Norwich and Millwall (played in the FA Cup Final).

Tilly was looking at him a few years ago IIRC.

good shout

def dont wanna see russell hoult down here went out on loan last year from stoke didnt really do that well in league 2.

dean brill would be a good buy for the club
bunn from northampton would be excellent too surely we're a bigger club than northampton

Got some mates who are Coventry fans, and they claim that Marshall ain't all that bad, definitely good enough for league one. We need someone to compete with Flavs!!

def dont wanna see russell hoult down here went out on loan last year from stoke didnt really do that well in league 2.

dean brill would be a good buy for the club
bunn from northampton would be excellent too surely we're a bigger club than northampton

Like Beefy said earlier on, I think Bunn is out of our price range, I think we are a bigger club than Northampton but not a massive club compared to them.

I still can't believe we have released Collis in all honesty. Such a reliable backup. Oh well, should move on. Definitely not Russell Hoult. Tony Warner is a great shout. Played in this league before hasn't he will Millwall? Stuart Nelson would be an ok backup. I personally like Dean Brill. Or what about Scott Flinders?

Like Beefy said earlier on, I think Bunn is out of our price range, I think we are a bigger club than Northampton but not a massive club compared to them.

In our price range we won't get anyone better than Collis, Flavs bashers get ready for a stiff between the sticks but as long as he's 6ft 6 we'll be ok won't we, can't get down quick but a giant in the air!

In our price range we won't get anyone better than Collis, Flavs bashers get ready for a stiff between the sticks but as long as he's 6ft 6 we'll be ok won't me, can't get down quick but a giant in the air!

I will give you a stiff between your sticks if you carry on my little sex pot

Back