• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

There are many (including myself when being blind to reality) who want Chris Powell, Edinburgh, Harris etc - because they are ex-Shrimpers.

Next time we require a manager (I hope we start winning again ..so it is a long time ahead) - we need the best man for the job. Our record of bringing ex-Shrimpers back is abysmal. From Peter Taylor as manager to Barnard & Eastwood as players. Dreadful and particularly sad failures second time around. Such a bloody shame.
I would be VERY wary.

Look at Forest and one of their all-time icons - Stuart Pearce. They should have kept the burning glow of love & pride from the past - not end up with sacking a legend. It rarely works.

I totally agree with your sentiment about ex-players. In the case of Edinburgh if we ever to consider him it should not be based on the fact that he is an ex-player which is why people have been touting Chris Powell but on his managerial ability. Which in the case of Edinburgh is not too bad...

Speaking to a mate at the weekend re Harris, he was not a popular member of the dressing room when with us. Not sure his style will get the best out of the players

Kenny Jackett was in the crowd for MK Dons vs Bristol Rovers last night. From a good friend of mine and MK Dons fan if they lose to us at the weekend Karl Robinson is gone and Jackett will replace.

Jackett is the outstanding candidate available at the moment, and if MK Dons can land him they've done well. That would leave Karl Robinson available of course.

After the Rochdale game I called for Browns reign to be over and 4 points from 6 after that have muddied the waters a bit. I think if we were able to attract Jackett I'd let brown go now. Apart from that he earns a stay of execution.

Jackett is the outstanding candidate available at the moment, and if MK Dons can land him they've done well. That would leave Karl Robinson available of course.

After the Rochdale game I called for Browns reign to be over and 4 points from 6 after that have muddied the waters a bit. I think if we were able to attract Jackett I'd let brown go now. Apart from that he earns a stay of execution.

No thanks, I go and watch a lot of MK Dons games when my mates Dad can't go I get a free ticket. He has been very lucky with some of his loan signings. He would be just as frustrating if not more than PB with signings, team selections, subs etc!

There are many (including myself when being blind to reality) who want Chris Powell, Edinburgh, Harris etc - because they are ex-Shrimpers.

Next time we require a manager (I hope we start winning again ..so it is a long time ahead) - we need the best man for the job. Our record of bringing ex-Shrimpers back is abysmal. From Peter Taylor as manager to Barnard & Eastwood as players. Dreadful and particularly sad failures second time around. Such a bloody shame.
I would be VERY wary.

Look at Forest and one of their all-time icons - Stuart Pearce. They should have kept the burning glow of love & pride from the past - not end up with sacking a legend. It rarely works.

I don't want a manager just because they use to play for us - Chris Powell wouldn't be in my top 10 choices for example - but the idea that bringing back someone is a terrible idea is clearly flawed logic when our most successful managers in history were both on their second stints at the club.

I don't want a manager just because they use to play for us - Chris Powell wouldn't be in my top 10 choices for example - but the idea that bringing back someone is a terrible idea is clearly flawed logic when our most successful managers in history were both on their second stints at the club.

Fair point but Spencer Prior and Barrett apart, I'm struggling to think of players who have done well as players when they have returned. I presume you are referring to Webb and Tilson who of course were both wonderful managers in their time.
Oh, i suppose you include Paul Brush in that list and Paul Clark - there's going to be loads aren't there?!

Now it appears Kenny Jackett is in talks with Rotherham.

Fair point but Spencer Prior and Barrett apart, I'm struggling to think of players who have done well as players when they have returned. I presume you are referring to Webb and Tilson who of course were both wonderful managers in their time.
Oh, i suppose you include Paul Brush in that list and Paul Clark - there's going to be loads aren't there?!

Andy Edwards is another that came back and performed well in their second stint at the club

Back