• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Floval Flyer

Licensed to ill⭐
You would surely think that old Ron must be looking at available managers, in light of the fact he must pull the trigger soon...

If you were in RMs shoes who would you be touting? A lot of 'out of work' managers have a better win ratio than PB, whether we can afford their salaries, or meet their expectations in terms of transfer kitty is another thing. Who would you target?

I would put Kenny Jacket at the top of my list, or possibly Nigel Adkins - both would get results considering their track records, but would they consider Southend? I'd also be surprised if the likes of Lambert or Chrissy P would be interested, not even sure Danny Cowley would. I have lost faith in PB, but who is going to take the job, I mean realistically?

or do we go with one of our own, it worked with Tilson, AB maybe??

Phil Brown - Win ration 34.9%

Job seekers;
Kenny Jacket 43.4%
Steve Cotterill 41%
Nigel Adkins 44%
Brian McDermott 40%
Paul Lambert 39%

In work;
Chris Powell 37.5%
Danny Cowley ??%

Untested/Limited;
Adam Barrett / Kevin Maher na%

Ron knows Cotterill I think. Didn't he ask him to assess the team in that period when Tilly and Brush were employed only in a caretaker capacity?

I'm not quite convinced it's time for Brown to go yet, but surprised to see Tony Mowbray's name not come up.

You would surely think that old Ron must be looking at available managers, in light of the fact he must pull the trigger soon...

If you were in RMs shoes who would you be touting? A lot of 'out of work' managers have a better win ratio than PB, whether we can afford their salaries, or meet their expectations in terms of transfer kitty is another thing. Who would you target?

I would put Kenny Jacket at the top of my list, or possibly Nigel Adkins - both would get results considering their track records, but would they consider Southend? I'd also be surprised if the likes of Lambert or Chrissy P would be interested, not even sure Danny Cowley would. I have lost faith in PB, but who is going to take the job, I mean realistically?

or do we go with one of our own, it worked with Tilson, AB maybe??

Phil Brown - Win ration 34.9%

Job seekers;
Kenny Jacket 43.4%
Steve Cotterill 41%
Nigel Adkins 44%
Brian McDermott 40%
Paul Lambert 39%

In work;
Chris Powell 37.5%
Danny Cowley ??%

Untested/Limited;
Adam Barrett / Kevin Maher na%

Jacket won't be looking to lower himself that far. Adkins managed to Finish 11th with Sheffield United and had one of the biggest budgets in L1 last season.

Looking at the results of 2016 it would be easier to draw up a list of managers that could have overseen getting less points. It's easy to say ' better the devil you know' but in our case it's easier to believe that very few could be worse.

Jacket won't be looking to lower himself that far. Adkins managed to Finish 11th with Sheffield United and had one of the biggest budgets in L1 last season.
and isn't that a failure with that club with that money?

Ron sold PB a dream of FF and the clubs potential.Now it appears we haven't a pot to p*** in.......who apart from a desperate man would want this job.Another issue is what sort of a manager PB would have been if the no doubt promised funds had been given to him.Remember none of the bigger names he wanted have come here ....why?

Ron sold PB a dream of FF and the clubs potential.Now it appears we haven't a pot to p*** in.......who apart from a desperate man would want this job.Another issue is what sort of a manager PB would have been if the no doubt promised funds had been given to him.Remember none of the bigger names he wanted have come here ....why?

It's hardly a mystery we're skint and FF has been a long distant pipe dream. There's plenty of pages on SZ and court appearances for reference. If PB didn't see that, he only has himself to blame. Funds have been made available, look at the players PB has been able to sign

and isn't that a failure with that club with that money?

To be fair, no-one seems to be able to get them promoted. I'd happily have Adkins here, he's won promotion from this division 3 times.

Can't see Jackett coming here, Cotterill would be my third choice, McDermott or Lambert - no thanks. Chris Powell would be my no1 choice with Barrett/Maher as assistant.

I am not sure that is true about Kenny Jackett. Under the right management, Southend has the potential to at least be on a par with a club like Ipswich, and he will be aware of that.

As for Nigel Adkins, he knows how to operate on a modest budget and demonstrated that brilliantly during his time with Scunthorpe.

I am not sure that is true about Kenny Jackett. Under the right management, Southend has the potential to at least be on a par with a club like Ipswich, and he will be aware of that.

As for Nigel Adkins, he knows how to operate on a modest budget and demonstrated that brilliantly during his time with Scunthorpe.

That's true but he was also lucky to have 25-a-season strikers at that time in Billy Sharp (first promotion in 2007) and then Gary Hooper (second promotion in 2009). It's much easier to gain promotion with goalscoring machines like that in your side, Tilly did a great job here but there's not a hope-in-hell we'd have achieved that double promotion without Eastwood.

I do not think there was anything lucky about Adkins's management at Scunthorpe. He ran a tight ship there. And he should be given credit for having players like Sharp and Hooper at his disposal. Unlike Steve Tilson, Adkins was absolutely convinced about Gary Hooper's goalscoring potential and paid a big fee by Scunthorpe's standards to get him.

I do not think there was anything lucky about Adkins's management at Scunthorpe. He ran a tight ship there. And he should be given credit for having players like Sharp and Hooper at his disposal. Unlike Steve Tilson, Adkins was absolutely convinced about Gary Hooper's goalscoring potential and paid a big fee by Scunthorpe's standards to get him.

can't argue with Adkins win ratio - and we do have Cox and hopefully a fit Ranger, both potentially top level forwards at League 1 level...

Drastic™;1906573 said:
To be fair, no-one seems to be able to get them promoted. I'd happily have Adkins here, he's won promotion from this division 3 times.

Can't see Jackett coming here, Cotterill would be my third choice, McDermott or Lambert - no thanks. Chris Powell would be my no1 choice with Barrett/Maher as assistant.

Chris Powell.....Currently doing well as temp Derby No 1 and aiming to get the job full-time. He would not look to drop down to a struggling League 1 side....even if it was us.

Southend has the potential to at least be on a par with a club like Ipswich, and he will be aware of that.

Sorry but we are nowhere near Ipswich. Their fan base, wage budgets, stadium are at least double the size of ours. No manager is going to charge that. It would take years if investment we have never seen at this club before eg Reading in the late 90/00s to change this club. Now Ron has built up a silly amount of debt that looks more unlikely than ever.

Don't you mean under the right owner.

Otherwise its a tough gig for your new manager.....Clear debt, attract new investors for retail park, Build 22,000 capacity stadium, find 15,000 fans and achieve promotion to championship whilst scoring lots of goals.

No money available for transfers and players wages will be in the lower half of L1. However will be allowed to do media work as there will be managers in L2 that earn far more than you.

That's true but he was also lucky to have 25-a-season strikers at that time in Billy Sharp (first promotion in 2007) and then Gary Hooper (second promotion in 2009). It's much easier to gain promotion with goalscoring machines like that in your side, Tilly did a great job here but there's not a hope-in-hell we'd have achieved that double promotion without Eastwood.

I really don't think he was lucky. I would argue, he set the team up to allow his strikers to get that many goals. We currently have a goal scorer who scored a lot of goals at this level. The way Brown sets up his teams, you would never know. Let's not also forget that we had the aforementioned Hooper in our ranks and he was deemed surplus to requirements. We were lucky to have him but rather unlucky that our management team couldn't recognise his potential.

The Hooper situation was different, as we already had a striking partnership that was working, restricting Hooper's opportunities to sub or playing out wide right.

I never said I thought the success Adkins had was lucky in the same way I'd never say Tilly was lucky. Both did a fine job. Just making the point that he wouldn't have a 25-a-season striker here that's all & in my opinion his stock has dropped after his disappointing stints at Reading & Sheffield United. I'd much prefer Powell or Jackett.

Back