• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Post Lockdown Attendances

Blue Yonder

Schoolboy⭐⭐
It's beginning to look that even with the roll out of a vaccine this season may end with only restricted attendances allowed. In the past enforced closure of grounds or competitive football has led to a boom in attendances. Post World War II in particular but I also remember I think season 1962-3 after freak weather leading to a couple of months of football being postponed that several thousand of us turned up at Roots Hall for a reserve game for a taste of live football. Can anyone remember any detail of that match... attendance, opposition etc ?

Assuming its next season before unrestricted attendance is allowed I'm guessing there will be some big attendances initially even if its Conference football for us. How long would the boom last ? Could conference/L2 attendance records be beaten ?

I wonder how many fans have lost patience with watching poor level football without fans and have turned to Premier League football instead.

I for one have probably spent more time watching Southend games recently than I had before. I’ve recently moved back to the area and can’t wait for grounds to be open. Will be my first home game for 20 years if it happens soon although I have attended many away games) and i will attend regardless of the division we are in.

Assuming its next season before unrestricted attendance is allowed I'm guessing there will be some big attendances initially even if its Conference football for us. How long would the boom last ? Could conference/L2 attendance records be beaten ?

Well Bristol Rovers and Oxford both had more than 11,000 for Conference games.

I dont live in the area anymore so despite it being largely cack ive enjoyed being able to watch each week.

I hope it continues if and when things go back to normal. I always go when back in town, so they would only lose money from me if it goes back to overseas only.

It must benefit away revenues as well? Die hards and people local will still go, surely 1000+ people paying on ifollow will only help lower league revenues?

How long would the boom last ? Could conference/L2 attendance records be beaten ?
Can't see League 2 (4th tier) record being beaten the highest average crowd was Crystal Palace 1960/1 season just over 19,000 with a highest crowd of 37,774.

Not so sure we will get a boom in crowds when restrictions are lifted. We are probably looking at a drop in crowds.

Can't see League 2 (4th tier) record being beaten the highest average crowd was Crystal Palace 1960/1 season just over 19,000 with a highest crowd of 37,774.

Not so sure we will get a boom in crowds when restrictions are lifted. We are probably looking at a drop in crowds.

Whats the record in the conference.

I would hazzard probably beyond roots halls capacity.

As for the blues. Unfortunately it will be slow return which will dampen any mass rush to sample live football.

Whats the record in the conference.

I would hazzard probably beyond roots halls capacity.

As for the blues. Unfortunately it will be slow return which will dampen any mass rush to sample live football.

I've just checked and its a fraction over 11k. So would be doable.

It's beginning to look that even with the roll out of a vaccine this season may end with only restricted attendances allowed. In the past enforced closure of grounds or competitive football has led to a boom in attendances. Post World War II in particular but I also remember I think season 1962-3 after freak weather leading to a couple of months of football being postponed that several thousand of us turned up at Roots Hall for a reserve game for a taste of live football. Can anyone remember any detail of that match... attendance, opposition etc ?

I seem to remember Rodney Marsh playing in a reserve match around that time in his QPR days, which added thousands to the gate.Can't help with any more details I'm afraid, though I'm sure some statto can.

Would be quite nice if the government said football stadiums are open for the usual boxing day games. Even if its just a one off.

Back