• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

post match comments

I have raised this issue before, and i am going to again. There are no two ways about it todays performance was woeful, uninspiring and unimotional. With no fluency, and i could certainly see no real sense of team spirit out there. I believe that the best way as fans we can help the team get through this is to be positive, however tilsons post match comments after the match seem to be completely off cue. What match does tilson view? does he have a random selection of post match interviews which he does in a cycle?

'we didnt take out chances'

come on mr tilson, its not the problem. yes we are not making the best of the chances we have got. But today the chances we had were limited and the build up play was woeful. (long hopeless balls). Many of the players looked lost with no one to pass to and build. We may have has possession but we never looked threatning.

I just dont understand where our man is coming from

I have raised this issue before, and i am going to again. There are no two ways about it todays performance was woeful, uninspiring and unimotional. With no fluency, and i could certainly see no real sense of team spirit out there. I believe that the best way as fans we can help the team get through this is to be positive, however tilsons post match comments after the match seem to be completely off cue. What match does tilson view? does he have a random selection of post match interviews which he does in a cycle?

come on mr tilson, its not the problem. yes we are not making the best of the chances we have got. But today the chances we had were limited and the build up play was woeful. (long hopeless balls). Many of the players looked lost with no one to pass to and build. We may have has possession but we never looked threatning.

See my earlier thread on this very subject...either he is dillusional or is going out of his way to defend players who don't deserve defence.

One criticism Maher gets a lot is too much sideways.
If there's no movement ahead (which there wasn't today) what is he meant to do?

Looking back I can count numerous occasios when we got into the oppos box but failed to deliver a sensible final ball. Personally, I class those as chances, and if Tilly does the same then he is right. We did this on about 12 occasions, mainly down our left side. So yes, we are not making the most of our attacking opportunities (and we must) - I'm sure this is what he means.

as i've said a million times. we past the times we're excuse after excuse is being made. fed up of em to be honest. you see other managers talking straight and simplw saying we were **** etc etc. but then again its the same after every game and nothings going to change.

I couldn't care less what Tilly says in his interviews. It's a minor part of his role, he clearly doesn't enjoy them and sees them as a chore and I doubt whether what he says in them is what he really thinks or is what he says to the players.

Definately your most productive rant ever mate, you're posts are definately improving from my view. :p

And yeah, I agree. It does annoy me a bit when he says we didn't take our chances, as we played rubbish all round. It's a hard job though, I wouldn't want to go out and slate the team if I was the manager. Tilson can never be sacked in my opinion.

Definately your most productive rant ever mate, you're posts are definately improving from my view. :p

And yeah, I agree. It does annoy me a bit when he says we didn't take our chances, as we played rubbish all round. It's a hard job though, I wouldn't want to go out and slate the team if I was the manager. Tilson can never be sacked in my opinion.

there getting better, i wouldnt go that far.

just trying to make the point that sometimes you have to be cruel to be kind. For example the england team. They know they can go out there do what they want and get a game the following week.

Tilly just needs work on hes interviews. Hes embarrissing himself

I couldn't care less what Tilly says in his interviews. It's a minor part of his role, he clearly doesn't enjoy them and sees them as a chore and I doubt whether what he says in them is what he really thinks or is what he says to the players.

i think this is part of his job and very important. fans listen to this and look for answers and a little insite into the club and whats going on.

sorry but excuse after excuse is clearly going to **** people off.

His interviews should be way down on his list of things to work on this evening.

i think this is part of his job and very important. fans listen to this and look for answers and a little insite into the club and whats going on.

Sorry matty, I just don't buy it. It's a tiny and very unimportant part of his job I'm sure that there are a lot of managers out there who can talk a lot of bulls**t in front of the cameras who haven't got anything like Steve Tilson's CV.

Last edited:
For Tilly to say we had the lions share of possesion and the better chances is quite frankly BOLLOX! I would respect the man more if he admitted we were gash and got what we deserved rather than wheeling out the phrase book 2 sub section 1B "We were unlucky" dross. 1point from 12 over Christmas says it all really.

His interviews should be way down on his list of things to work on this evening.

deffinately, clearly the team are his priority but this is also another important part of his job. a wider vocab is needed. rather than ermmmmm yeh well we need errrrrrrr well. only joking but you get my point.

after a **** performance you drive home to this and it gets you even more wound up.

deffinately, clearly the team are his priority but this is also another important part of his job. a wider vocab is needed. rather than ermmmmm yeh well we need errrrrrrr well. only joking but you get my point.

after a **** performance you drive home to this and it gets you even more wound up.

I do get your point, yes. I just don't agree with it.

His priority is sorting out the team and ensuring we don't have any more of those **** performances. What he says in front of the TV cameras is such a non-issue.

Last edited:
I do get your point, yes. I just don't agree with itl.

His priority is sorting out the team and ensuring we don't have any more of those **** performances. What he says in front of the TV cameras is such a non-issue.

we'll agree to disagree then. i think it is a very important part of his job but clearly i would prefer him to be a better coach than being better at interviews.

I do get your point, yes. I just don't agree with itl.

It may be his priortity but us fans can only gauge his reaction but what he makes public, so by spouting the same old sh!te doesn't exactly fill us with confidence does it!

BANG ON!

Why should Tilson reveal to the world what his team's failings are??
What's the point of saying we are cack??

He has to get the best out of these players for the next game,you think the players wanna read in the Echo how crap we are??

BANG ON!

Why should Tilson reveal to the world what his team's failings are??
What's the point of saying we are cack??

He has to get the best out of these players for the next game,you think the players wanna read in the Echo how crap we are??

To be honest, I couldn't care less what the players do and don't want to read about themselves in the paper - after the run of form they have been on lately, I don't think they are in any position to moan if Tilly comes out and publicly slates them.

Not good for team spirit and morale I hear you say.... Well there isn't much of that in evidence right now, and whilst defending your players to the hilt no matter what is admirable, I actually believe it does them more harm than good.

If they pick up the paper tomorrow and read an interview with the manager saying how dissapointed with them he was, and the performances of late are unacceptable, then they may actually think on about how they go about their business in the future. They are not stupid, they know full well when they haven't performed, and if they as professionals have any pride, then they won't appreciate a slating in the press from their manager, and may do everything in their power to ensure it doesn't happen again.

Beefy is right, communication skills with the press are not the most important part of a football manager's job, but none the less, it is part of his job, and it matters not that he doesn't enjoy being interviewed, he has to do it. The key point about it though, is it is important to a lot of the fans, as Matty says, fans look to him for confidence, and often try to gauge how serious a situation maybe depending on what the manager says, and the fans ARE the most important part of a football club.

I don't expect Tilly to supply us with chapter and verse on what he said in the dressing room, that is between him and the team, but what I do expect is a little more brutal truth when things are not as they should be, we and the players do not need to be treated with kid gloves.

To be honest, I couldn't care less what the players do and don't want to read about themselves in the paper - after the run of form they have been on lately, I don't think they are in any position to moan if Tilly comes out and publicly slates them.

Not good for team spirit and morale I hear you say.... Well there isn't much of that in evidence right now, and whilst defending your players to the hilt no matter what is admirable, I actually believe it does them more harm than good.

If they pick up the paper tomorrow and read an interview with the manager saying how dissapointed with them he was, and the performances of late are unacceptable, then they may actually think on about how they go about their business in the future. They are not stupid, they know full well when they haven't performed, and if they as professionals have any pride, then they won't appreciate a slating in the press from their manager, and may do everything in their power to ensure it doesn't happen again.

Beefy is right, communication skills with the press are not the most important part of a football manager's job, but none the less, it is part of his job, and it matters not that he doesn't enjoy being interviewed, he has to do it. The key point about it though, is it is important to a lot of the fans, as Matty says, fans look to him for confidence, and often try to gauge how serious a situation maybe depending on what the manager says, and the fans ARE the most important part of a football club.

I don't expect Tilly to supply us with chapter and verse on what he said in the dressing room, that is between him and the team, but what I do expect is a little more brutal truth when things are not as they should be, we and the players do not need to be treated with kid gloves.

spot on, by critisising a performance it can help a team. A GOOD manager knows when there team are not good enough. And im sure tilson knows this.

A GREAT manager has the courage to admit to everyone including the most important thing at the club the fans, that the team have simply not been good enough.

I, and many others are fed up of the silly, pointless unaccurate comments tilson has been making.

Are they completely inaccurate though? We have missed many chances over the Christmas period, and today we certainly missed a few good scoring opportunities, or chances to make chances if you get my drift. I don't think he said we played well, we missed chances. I thought we played well against both Gillingham and Oldham, and deserved at least 4 points from those games, against Donny he said we didn't play well, we didn't defend well etc.
I'd argue with the support during the second half Tilly did not have to say anything to them. I don't think that support deserved it.

Not sure criticising individual performances in public (i.e. in interview) is a good idea, isn't that considered to be unprofessional in business? Don't see why football should be any different.

Of course, what is said between manager/s and individuals behind closed doors is an entirely different matter and I sincerely hope that Tilly and Brush will be letting everyone know in training exactly what they thought of their performances. Especially those that could and should have done better.

Back