• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Breaking News *POSTPONED* Southend Utd vs Cambridge Utd 21st November 2020 15:00hrs FL2

What would be your starting 11 for Saturday and what do you think the result will be?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Consider the situation facing Tranmere Rovers last month:

Tranmere chairman Mark Palios feels it was "incredible" that the club had to draft in youth players to fulfil their Sky Bet League Two fixture against Salford despite positive coronavirus tests depleting the squad.
Ahead of Saturday's match at the Peninsula Stadium, two unnamed Tranmere players returned positive Covid-19 results, which in turn resulted in four other players having to self-isolate.
The fast-developing situation, coupled with injuries and an international call-up, left Rovers boss Mike Jackson with only 10 first-team players available for selection.

Palios said the club had approached the EFL for guidance, but were told if they had youth-team players who were fit then "we had to play" or face an investigation into the circumstances surrounding the late cancellation and potentially disciplinary action which could result in a 15-point penalty.

An EFL spokesperson said: "To suggest that a sporting sanction of 'up to 15 points' could be applicable as a result of potentially not playing a fixture is at best extremely misleading for supporters of both Tranmere Rovers and other clubs across the EFL.

"As the League has stated previously, it is up for each individual club to determine whether it is able to fulfil its fixture commitments.

"There are clear Covid related protocols in place that all clubs must adhere to alongside government guidance.

"Each situation is looked at on a case-by-case basis depending on what factors are present within each club and that is why some matches have been postponed whilst other clubs have been cleared to play, with the health, safety and wellbeing of players always being the priority.

"In the event a club does inform the league it is unable to fulfil a fixture, in normal circumstances, the club is deemed guilty of misconduct and charged with a breach of EFL regulations. If that same situation arises as a result of Covid-19 positive tests, the League would firstly look at the specific circumstances, before determining whether a club was to be subject to a charge.

"In both scenarios it would be an independent disciplinary commission not the EFL that would determine any sanction, if applicable, having heard representations from both parties. However, there is no sporting sanction tariff in this regard and a commission determines the type of punishment and to what level.

Bournemouth are playing today but Josh king has tested positive. Obviously that's higher leagues.
I think clubs can play if others negative and no symptoms.
I think RM is making the most of a couple of positives for whatever reason. But probably within rights to do so. Shame as confidence was high.

I thought you had to self isolate anyway if in contact with someone who has tested positive as the symptoms don’t show straight away. A player may test negative that day but develop symptoms a couple of days later.

It's all very cloudy isn't it!
I can only assume there are other factors in play causing cancelation which aren't known but acceptable to those that count .

(I've edited myself because it's hard to post without causing a problem). Maybe to say, we must have been quite close to considering playing and continuing how we played last week bar a few squad changes.
Better safe than sorry in the covid world tho! ....

Last edited:
There's many things you can criticise our club for, but I won't hear a word of criticism about our media team - I think they're fantastic under the circumstances.

Agreed.

Ron's own self-typed (or dictated verbatim) statements, though, can sometimes be only a level or two above Steve Dale's.

He would really benefit from having a PR person on board, or somebody who's good with words and can make his statements more palatable.

If two players have tested positive and one other has been advised to self-isolate by the EFL doctor that suggests 3 players who travel together.

However if they only tested positive yesterday, it would seem wise to wait a few days to see if anyone else comes down with it too.

Maybe if the positive tests had been on Monday, there would have been less sympathy from the EFL, but surely safety has to come first here. The fact that this all came to light yesterday evening would suggest the test results came through quite late in the day.

I've an inkling he might be that daft, unfortunately!! What if it turns out we actually could have played if wanted to with not too much problem? Just saying...
Every team who hasn’t played due to COVID “could” have played- indeed with bigger squads and no restrictions far more so than us. But this is not the point. A positive COVID test is a question of fact as confirmed by the EFL doctor as is their recommendations on isolating if other players have been in ‘contact’ - remembering they all train together now and don’t carry their phones with tracing app turned on in the shorts.
So I think the question of “could” have played is bit of a red herring

Every team who hasn’t played due to COVID “could” have played- indeed with bigger squads and no restrictions far more so than us. But this is not the point. A positive COVID test is a question of fact as confirmed by the EFL doctor as is their recommendations on isolating if other players have been in ‘contact’ - remembering they all train together now and don’t carry their phones with tracing app turned on in the shorts.

Well we're in the hands of the independent disciplinary enquiry. Tranmere were forced to play despite having two players testing positive. They drew 2-2.

Consider the situation facing Tranmere Rovers last month:

Tranmere chairman Mark Palios feels it was "incredible" that the club had to draft in youth players to fulfil their Sky Bet League Two fixture against Salford despite positive coronavirus tests depleting the squad.
Ahead of Saturday's match at the Peninsula Stadium, two unnamed Tranmere players returned positive Covid-19 results, which in turn resulted in four other players having to self-isolate.
The fast-developing situation, coupled with injuries and an international call-up, left Rovers boss Mike Jackson with only 10 first-team players available for selection.

Palios said the club had approached the EFL for guidance, but were told if they had youth-team players who were fit then "we had to play" or face an investigation into the circumstances surrounding the late cancellation and potentially disciplinary action which could result in a 15-point penalty.

An EFL spokesperson said: "To suggest that a sporting sanction of 'up to 15 points' could be applicable as a result of potentially not playing a fixture is at best extremely misleading for supporters of both Tranmere Rovers and other clubs across the EFL.

"As the League has stated previously, it is up for each individual club to determine whether it is able to fulfil its fixture commitments.

"There are clear Covid related protocols in place that all clubs must adhere to alongside government guidance.

"Each situation is looked at on a case-by-case basis depending on what factors are present within each club and that is why some matches have been postponed whilst other clubs have been cleared to play, with the health, safety and wellbeing of players always being the priority.

"In the event a club does inform the league it is unable to fulfil a fixture, in normal circumstances, the club is deemed guilty of misconduct and charged with a breach of EFL regulations. If that same situation arises as a result of Covid-19 positive tests, the League would firstly look at the specific circumstances, before determining whether a club was to be subject to a charge.

"In both scenarios it would be an independent disciplinary commission not the EFL that would determine any sanction, if applicable, having heard representations from both parties. However, there is no sporting sanction tariff in this regard and a commission determines the type of punishment and to what level.
A perfect case of “could” have played but reading between the lines of the EFL’s very pointed response would haven very unlikely to have face sanctions if they hadn’t- Palios trying to make a point- what has he got to be so angry with the EFL about? Oh...hold on .,,

Well we're in the hands of the independent disciplinary enquiry. Tranmere were forced to play despite having two players testing positive. They drew 2-2.
They were NOT forced to play- they chose to- and as the angry EFL response pointed out their characterisation of the likely consequences was inaccurate..indeed as now clearly demonstrated by all the other cases that have resulted in no sanctions

Can't disagree with you. I'm not trying to be a red herring sprinkler. I can't and wouldn't say on here who tested positive as it would be completely wrong and inappropriate (if I knew of course).
Each case is looked at individually I think, so for example (and I stress this isn't what's happened it's an example !) If a player comes in each day sharing cars with many different players and on the coach tends to sit with lots of playetrs, then of course many may need to isolate. Conversely, the opposite may result in minimal people isolating.
The consequences of each on playing vary a lot.
I absolutely agree the hard facts are.... Covid positive tests mean a game may be cancelled.
More importantly, apparently the positive test ones are fine and ok.

Last edited:
Agreed.

Ron's own self-typed (or dictated verbatim) statements, though, can sometimes be only a level or two above Steve Dale's.

He would really benefit from having a PR person on board, or somebody who's good with words and can make his statements more palatable.
I bloody love Ron’s statements.

They were NOT forced to play- they chose to- and as the angry EFL response pointed out their characterisation of the likely consequences was inaccurate..indeed as now clearly demonstrated by all the other cases that have resulted in no sanctions

OK. Good point. Better to have said "Tranmere's chairman considered they were forced to play." I included the EFL's response in order to show both sides of the situation.

If two players have tested positive and one other has been advised to self-isolate by the EFL doctor that suggests 3 players who travel together.

However if they only tested positive yesterday, it would seem wise to wait a few days to see if anyone else comes down with it too.

Maybe if the positive tests had been on Monday, there would have been less sympathy from the EFL, but surely safety has to come first here. The fact that this all came to light yesterday evening would suggest the test results came through quite late in the day.

Which lines up with not having players.

23 registered. Gard, Ralph, Taylor injured. 20.

Seaden and Oxley goalkeepers. 18.

MMN and Kinali de-registered. 16.

2 players with COVID and 1 isolating. 13.

Rumours Lennon is injured and that's 12.

Who could the other 2 be?

Which lines up with not having players.

23 registered. Gard, Ralph, Taylor injured. 20.

Seaden and Oxley goalkeepers. 18.

MMN and Kinali de-registered. 16.

2 players with COVID and 1 isolating. 13.

Rumours Lennon is injured and that's 12.

Who could the other 2 be?
Kyle Taylor and Macca?

MMN & Kinali were not in the final 23 at start of season. Kyprianou is and out on loan?

Back