• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Breaking News *POSTPONED* Southend Utd vs Cambridge Utd 21st November 2020 15:00hrs FL2

What would be your starting 11 for Saturday and what do you think the result will be?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
I still cannot believe that happened. Absolutely stinks.

Did you get some form of reimbursement from Tottenham? How can they just progress?

Their fans were great; they bought thousands of pounds worth of Orient merch to try and make up for the shortfall (helps that we’re sponsored by their Captain, I suppose). But the EFL just bent over for the PL club like they always do.

Jeez ! The amount of players those big clubs have sitting in their academies, aswell.

Indeed, mostly stolen from clubs like ours for a pittance. Of course the real kicker was that we agreed to get tested and were punished, whereas other clubs (Hull and more) refused and were allowed to play.

Indeed, mostly stolen from clubs like ours for a pittance. Of course the real kicker was that we agreed to get tested and were punished, whereas other clubs (Hull and more) refused and were allowed to play.

It stinks, but well done to the Spurs fans. If it were down to the fans the Premiership would have supported the other 72 clubs with grants long ago.

No points deduction, but we did get kicked out of the League Cup because Spurs were too busy to play us at a later date. The slags.
That sure wasn’t fair to the O’s—but a Spurs reserve team would have still won easily.

Statement on Cambridge website:

Statement on Cambridge website:

They aren't happy are they? They probably don't have to worry about facing a stronger Southend team though after the January window.....

They aren't happy are they? They probably don't have to worry about facing a stronger Southend team though after the January window.....
No- as has been said he knows that they would have had a much easier game had we been able to play our academy players (and one thing we can't be accused of is being reluctant to play them!!).
It does shed some light however. We have a very limited senior squad (it is understandable we are under an embargo but these things have unintended consequences- and here is one of them. The EFL will understand that and Cambridge should). So in these circumstances and with such a limited squad if you lose 4 players due to COVID the day before then you are quite possibly going to be stuffed. It was impossible to use our academy players because there was not enough time for them to be tested as they would have to be. Again these are the EFL's rules to protect all involved (particularly as players tend to be asymptomatic). He seems to be saying either COVID should give more notice that its going to strike, or the EFL needs to look at the rules to enable contingencies to be in place- in other words have all our academy players tested just in case. If all clubs have to have all their academy players tested just in case COVID depletes the first team squad to the point it needs them then there would be a whole load of admin & costs that presumably the clubs/EFL didn't want to pay for? And hence this was not required. In highlighting that he feels clearer rules need to be in place and more direction regarding contingency planning he, in doing so, highlights the absence of any such rules (and hence suggests we haven't broken any). He wants to play us before the Jan window and a quick investigation- well the EFL should be able to decide that tomorrow and set another date well before then.

BTW maybe Ron will have phoned the EFL at some point and said look, you still have us under an embargo, as a result I have players I can't register and this is an unintended consequence- can I register these players. The EFL probably will have said no they are the rules and if you can't play due to losing players or because of COVID so be it. I suspect the EFL will not regard it as their own fault, but at the same time equally importantly not ours either.

Clearly they are chessed off with the postponement as they thought they could get an easy 3 points and now when we do play them we will have a stronger team and it wont be so easy

Clearly they are chessed off with the postponement as they thought they could get an easy 3 points and now when we do play them we will have a stronger team and it wont be so easy
What's the betting that when he phoned Ron to complain he said "don't worry we wont be letting you down again when it's replayed- I've just found an absolutely huge great war chest to spend in the Jan window, and I promise you next time we meet you will be wishing we had fewer players not more.."

Has any one considered that in the circumstances the EFL might just award Cambridge a 3-0 victory .....?

Has any one considered that in the circumstances the EFL might just award Cambridge a 3-0 victory .....?

Not sure that's allowed anymore under FA regulations. Can award matches and points but not goals. (well that applies to grassroots anyway!)

Maybe in a normal situation but highly unlikely given the situation with Covid.

Bolton did this last season without Covid as an excuse and a 3-0 win wasn’t given to Doncaster and the game was re-arranged.

Well, let's see what happens when the EFL take a rook. We are all just pawns in their game really. I'm sure RM had a check of the rules beforehand. Its probably all there in black and white.

Well, let's see what happens when the EFL take a rook. We are all just pawns in their game really. I'm sure RM had a check of the rules beforehand. Its probably all there in black and white.
Could we have tried to recall Michael Knightly & Sam McQueen as cover?

I bet they are. It'll become the proverbial "away game at Southend on a cold Tuesday night". There'll almost certainly be a bit of a draught too.

Reactions: RHB
Back