• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Potential Weymouth players

palexander

Life President
If it is going to be Molesley as the next manager, I thought I'd take a look over their squad and see if anyone could potentially step up and come along with Mark. These caught the eye particularly;

Jake McCarthy. 24. Midfielder, 10 goals, 7 assists in 40 starts. Was at Bournemouth but dropped to Totton, Dorchester then Weymouth.

Ollie Harfield. LB can also play in MF. 22. Was at Bournemouth, then daggers and Poole. 39 starts, 10 assists.

Josh McQuoid may be a wildcard. 30, so on the way down, but played for a lot of league clubs. Weymouth captain, 9 in 23 starts.

Watching his interview and he generally goes for young, hungry players that want to get better and back to full time, so I see no reason why he wouldn't be against looking at previous players like this and following through on his promise to help players achieve more if they want it.

He could well look at Weymouth players but he may also have his eye on some players in the conference or national league top division what ever it is called now a days

Forget about more LBs - and doubt any would be better than we have. I also doubt we would get an influx of wonderful loans from Bournemouth - never happens (Big Sam & PB et al and so on and so forth..)

He might find one or two non-league nuggets, better still continue the development of the youngsters we have already got (better still let Fagan continue developing them). Much will depend on whether our ambition is to get out of L2 or just stay in it. If the former he will have to learn quickly how to bring in the right players from those probably already playing in the EFL or on fringes of Prem/Championship clubs.

It will be good though to go back to speculating on the search for famished, half starving (hence hungry) youngsters who would make all the difference :-)

As much as I like the sound of a few no league gems, I think some league 2 experience is required too. I don't mean 30+ year olds but ideally mid to late 20's to help the youngsters.

He could well look at Weymouth players but he may also have his eye on some players in the conference or national league top division what ever it is called now a days
Agree and no doubt we may get one or two although the idea it takes a NL manager to know where these people are is wide of the mark- EFL clubs are all over the NL looking for the same.
Those that are decent are also not necessarily cheap either. Our transfer dealing will need to be focussed on the EFL at least if we are serious about trying to get back into L1.

Agree and no doubt we may get one or two although the idea it takes a NL manager to know where these people are is wide of the mark- EFL clubs are all over the NL looking for the same.
Those that are decent are also not necessarily cheap either. Our transfer dealing will need to be focussed on the EFL at least if we are serious about trying to get back into L1.
Don’t disagree at all

One thing to remember as well is he managed Goodship and hopefully will be able to get the best out of him.

It could be like having a new signing.

And there it is....the thread about which non league players the new manager can bring with him - that none of us have ever seen play

Reactions: RHB
One thing to remember as well is he managed Goodship and hopefully will be able to get the best out of him.

It could be like having a new signing.

Goodship done well last season. Until Sol got his hands on him (and others) and stripped away their confidence and self worth.

A good return of goals from wide areas after stepping up 4 levels suggests he was a successful signing

He’d be more familiar with the Conference South. I wouldn’t mind hoovering up all the best talent at that level. It may even be a greater source of talent than the largely full-time Conference.

As much as I like the sound of a few no league gems, I think some league 2 experience is required too. I don't mean 30+ year olds but ideally mid to late 20's to help the youngsters.

Do you need L2 experience or just senior men’s experience?

I ask because Molesley’s own career was similar to Mark Bentley in that he made the jump to League football aged 27 or so. I wouldn’t mind another Mark Bentley.

And there it is....the thread about which non league players the new manager can bring with him - that none of us have ever seen play

I didnt say we SHOULD sign them lol. Just potentially which of the Weymouth squad have potential.

Last edited:
Do you need L2 experience or just senior men’s experience?

I ask because Molesley’s own career was similar to Mark Bentley in that he made the jump to League football aged 27 or so. I wouldn’t mind another Mark Bentley.

Maybe not but even if we did I doubt we'd be able to get them.

I didnt say we SHOULD sign them lol. Just potentially which of the Weymouth squad have potential.

I didn’t say anyone said we should.....I made the observation that ever new manager suggestion is met with a list of players that they COULD bring with them. Most of which none of us have ever seen play!

Remember many of us weren’t convinced by Goodship and the manager who signed him was held accountable for that

If it is going to be Molesley as the next manager, I thought I'd take a look over their squad and see if anyone could potentially step up and come along with Mark. These caught the eye particularly;

Jake McCarthy. 24. Midfielder, 10 goals, 7 assists in 40 starts. Was at Bournemouth but dropped to Totton, Dorchester then Weymouth.

Ollie Harfield. LB can also play in MF. 22. Was at Bournemouth, then daggers and Poole. 39 starts, 10 assists.

Josh McQuoid may be a wildcard. 30, so on the way down, but played for a lot of league clubs. Weymouth captain, 9 in 23 starts.

Watching his interview and he generally goes for young, hungry players that want to get better and back to full time, so I see no reason why he wouldn't be against looking at previous players like this and following through on his promise to help players achieve more if they want it.
These players are not the answer! Conference players lack the quality we need.I remember when mark stimson got the job at gillingham and his first move was to sign a load of players from greys and it backfired on him badley!! As we all know freddy Eastwood was a diamond in the rough but they are few and far between.Tried and tested at football league level is what we need now added to our good batch of youngsters.

These players are not the answer! Conference players lack the quality we need.I remember when mark stimson got the job at gillingham and his first move was to sign a load of players from greys and it backfired on him badley!! As we all know freddy Eastwood was a diamond in the rough but they are few and far between.Tried and tested at football league level is what we need now added to our good batch of youngsters.
Just as well fleetwood didnt say that about Vardy or Palace about Wright. There are gems to be had in lower leagues. WHilst we do need some players with experience the lower leagues are also a good area to look for some unearthed talent.

All three sound better than Hyam and probably cost half of his wages combined.

Few and far between, but thats not to say its impossible to find good players. Off the top of my head... you mention Eastwood, but we've had Gower, Flahavan, Bentley, Coker - thats 5, probably tonnes more I've forgotten.

So you cant just say non league players lack quality.

Goodship at times showed he was hanging with the level at League 1 and you'd expect him to better this year.

We need a raft of Centre Backs. Please God send us a ferry from Calais, whatever their immigration status!

Back