• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Powell, Brown & Campbell?

Gaz_BWFC

Schoolboy
Hi Guys,

Obviously we're looking for a new manager at the moment, Brown & Powell have been linked, (Powell today) and finally Sol Campbell, think it's because of our head of football, Tobias Phoenix who worked with Campbell at Macclesfield.

Just out of curiosity, who do you rate as the best manager? Personally, I think Powell would be the better choice, but am interested in what your views are for the threesome.

Ta!

I actually thought of Brown when I saw Hill was leaving. Not only does he have the club connection but he will buzz off the big stadium etc

Brown came in at the wrong time. The way he started his tenure (not his fault) didn’t make him popular do to Sturrock being a fan favourite. His first game was leading the team out at Wembley it didn’t go down well.

He made some great signings and also made some poor signings not just in the playing department. Some of the signings he made have caused a dressing room environment that has been problematic even to this day. Most of the bad apples are gone as Campbell has got rid of them and other managers too. But whether this has infected the current crop only time will tell.

I liked Brown, he got us promoted and really did make some impressive signings. He brought in Cox who at the time was an exceptional signing. He was forever touting himself for other jobs and that wore thin. He will always tend to favour his media work over spending time at the club, which used to rile a lot of fans, especially when results were bad.

Powell came in when we were pretty ****, Brown had gone on an awful run before Powell came in. He was always going to get a better chance than others as he is a Southend legend. He was your typical victim of the new manager bounce. Went on a great run and then managed to keep us up and looked like he would do well. He was really unfortunate with injury issues! A lot of talk about his training methods were poor and the fitness of the players massively dropped. Whether that was down to Powell or the fact our great fitness coach left is something we don’t know. When Bond took over one of the things he said was how unfit the team were.

I liked Powell, it was great when it was good but when it was bad it was awful! I don’t think he was given enough of a chance but unfortunately it was that far gone that we needed the change. That poisonous dressing room atmosphere probably didn’t help his case.

Campbell, well what can we say! He came in and got rid a lot of the bad apples and the high earners. He hasn’t had the chance to make any signings due to our financial situation. When he came in the chairman and Sol sat down and said to us we would be making 5 or 6 signings in Jan. We signed no one! We were broken when we came in and the game After he was announced (not in charge) we lost 7-1 at home to Donny. Results did get better and we looked like were getting somewhere. All he had to work with was a couple of pros and the majority of youth lads. Even having to have a 16 year old in the squad.

He is expensive as is his coaching team. The fitness of the squad has massively improved but that’s down to Wenger’s fitness guy. He isn’t someone you can relate too, his Instagram is awful and he will probably call you Burton.

Personally if I was choosing it would either be Brown or Powell. That is only if choosing from those 3 otherwise I would look at a young up and coming manager and steer clear of the usual names.

Chris Powell was a great player for us, a lovely guy and true gentleman but made some terrible recruitment decisions during his time as our manager and, by all accounts, was not tough enough with discipline and training. Most fans were delighted with his appointment but I remember a fan from either Charlton or Huddersfield posting on here and being very critical of his tenure as their manager -.it wasn't what we wanted to hear at the time but, in hindsight, much of what he said was true and it was horrible to see Chris struggling with the job here before leaving. It's early days for us the judge Sol but personally am indifferent to him so would definitely say, of the three, Phil Brown is the best fit for you.

Last edited:
Fair assessment by Ricey.
I do not think any of them is a good fit for a broke and squad less Trotters.

I wouldn't so sure of that pal, even Shrewsbury & Plymouth fans think their managers going to "Tinpot" Bolton would be a backward step, think we'll do well to get the current Barrow manager Ian Evatt, but compo is needed for all of the mentioned managers.

I wouldn't so sure of that pal, even Shrewsbury & Plymouth fans think their managers going to "Tinpot" Bolton would be a backward step, think we'll do well to get the current Barrow manager Ian Evatt, but compo is needed for all of the mentioned managers.

well if it's anyone, Brown would be best for you. But if Tobias Phoenix if that is his real name, was at Macclesfield, then that seems like Better Call Sol. (and would make sense of his IG posts)

I was on a zoom with Phil Brown the other day, he's certainly keen on a new challenge. You'll not recognise him, he's gone very rustic!

Difficult to judge Campbell, who inherited a **** show, hasn't had a pre-season with the team and his only transfer window we were embargoed throughout. He has improved performances, fitness and results whilst shedding salaries and going with the kids but there's a long way to go for respectability. There are plenty waiting for him to fail.

Brown was a disaster and sowed the seeds that put us were we are. His short-termism will kill your club.

Powell did a decent job of trying to recover from Brown's mistakes but got taken out at the knees by the most ridiculous injury crisis I've ever seen where everything that could have gone wrong went wrong. I wish we'd have stuck with him instead of Bond but it had seemed like he'd run out of ideas (as well as fit players). I don't know how scarred he'd be by that experience.

Hi Guys,

Obviously we're looking for a new manager at the moment, Brown & Powell have been linked, (Powell today) and finally Sol Campbell, think it's because of our head of football, Tobias Phoenix who worked with Campbell at Macclesfield.

Just out of curiosity, who do you rate as the best manager? Personally, I think Powell would be the better choice, but am interested in what your views are for the threesome.

Ta!

Brown head and shoulders above the other two

Id go for our u23 coach,give him the chance,hes done well with the u23s and the young players like him,give him and may Heidresson ( so i spell it wrong ) a go if they willing .

Tobias Phoenix the one who played an part in ****ing Macclesfield Town up & left them in debt?

Back