• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Powell, Brown & Campbell?

Fagan comes across as a dedicated, intelligent, and determined character who knows how to get the best out of players and commands their respect at the under-23 level. Yes, it is a jump to becoming first-team manager but he has shown promise that he could make the transition quite quickly.

By the way, Brown has got a lot of respect for Fagan.
Brown had a lot of respect for most of the people who work/ed at the club. He also certainly never had a go at Ben Clarkson for his physical appearance but respected that here was a man who knew his job inside out and performed miracles on some of our walking wounded!

I would like to see Sol Campbell remain at Southend and be given a chance to rebuild the side. So fair he has not been allowed to bring in a single player.

If there is to be a change, I would rather see Craig Fagan given a shot than Phil Brown. I think Phil Brown did okay at Southend but he certainly under performed at Swindon (unlike his successor).

Fagan comes across as a dedicated, intelligent, and determined character who knows how to get the best out of players and commands their respect at the under-23 level. Yes, it is a jump to becoming first-team manager but he has shown promise that he could make the transition quite quickly.

By the way, Brown has got a lot of respect for Fagan.
Good shout that and would be a relatively cheap option. Cost cutting I think will be the primary motivation for Ron moving forward.
I was talking about Brown in answer to the Bolton fan. I’d not want him back here and certainly not to replace Sol at this point.

I didn't realize how much the majority of you Shrimper fans rated Browny tbh, personally I think he would be a decent appointment for us at this moment in time. Nigel Clough and Ryan Lowe are the current bookies favourites with Skybet, but forget them, they aren't coming imo.

I get the feeling that our new owners, football ventures, maybe they wouldn't like Browny's brash personality, I get the impression they would prefer a quieter and younger type manager, but I could be wide of the mark.

I think we should pass on Powell, he sounds too nice and we don't need that type of manager at this moment in time. Campbell is too much of a gamble imo, but our head of football knows him from Macclesfield, but I can't see us paying you guys compo for him.

I’d have thought Bolton know enough about Brown to not even be considering him.
I gather Steven Reid is a candidate.Surely that’s the direction you should be going—someone working their way up not the likes of Powell or Campbell. I had high hopes of Larssen for us,Fagan looks promising.

Right.

He plays them. Did he have much choice in that? Did he say, screw the senior lot, I’m throwing the youngsters in? Did he say, these lads are the future? Did he say he trusted and had faith in his young players?

Wasn't there a post on here from someone (who many believed was Liam Ridgewell) saying that he did do just that? Something along the lines of Sol didn't like the older pros and wanted to use the youngsters who didn't question him etc?

Wasn't there a post on here from someone (who many believed was Liam Ridgewell) saying that he did do just that? Something along the lines of Sol didn't like the older pros and wanted to use the youngsters who didn't question him etc?

From memory, the kids didn’t really come into the fold, until January/February time, after we’d lost 8 players.

I wonder if he [Brown] would’ve jumped ship if things hadn’t improved.

Possibly (probably ?) - after all, he was quick to hold his hand up when Sam Allardyce took over the England job and was looking for coaches - bit like Donkey in Shrek jumping up and down shouting "Me, me, pick me !". That didn't work out too well as we all know..... but maybe gave a pointer to his loyalty to the club.

Last edited:
Possibly (probably ?) - after all, he was quick to hold his hand up when Sam Allardyce took over the England job and was looking for coaches - bit like Donkey in Shrek jumping up and down shouting "Me, me, pick me !". That didn't work out too well as we all know..... but maybe gave a pointer to his loyalty to the club.

I would have to question the ambition of anyone content to stay at Southend.

CP comes across as a nice guy but sadly things did not pan out for him as our manager and it would be difficult to recommend him to another club. I would love to be proved wrong with him being successful. Sol is, at the very least, an enigma. I have not seen enough of his tenure to be sure about him and, his well documented interviews and social media use, make him seem a little 'strange.'
Brown was not a favourite of mine. I do not think he fully appreciated the limited ability of many lower level players and did not set up to suit their strengths. Do I think is a bad manager? No. If he was at a club, whose budget allowed the signing of players that can play the way he likes, then he may do very well. I didn't know him personally and have no axe to grind with him. Indeed, the way he left, with players being unprofessional, was unfair on him. If Bolton can provide him with the right players then why not give him a go?

Well, these same players was like that for last 15 months, the kids showed them up with their display including our 3-1 win over Bristol Rovers.

I only see the video highlights of the matches ,but i must admit the highlight of the season to me was watching those young lads rejoicing after the win against Lincoln ,god willing next season you can all see more of that .I thought it was absolutely brilliant .MORE PLEASE .Yes and if Sol were to leave (i hope not ) then i think Fagan would be a bloody good replacement ,him and Heidrasson if he decides to stay ,i think would be a decent team .

People will probably never realise just how much effort Brown put into trying to force a move to Bolton in 2016.

I don’t doubt that, he was always trying to better himself you can’t blame the bloke.

Maybe he could’ve be a little more discreet and professional about it though.

I don’t doubt that, he was always trying to better himself you can’t blame the bloke.

Maybe he could’ve be a little more discreet and professional about it though.
Let's face it every new manager normally has a life expectancy in the job of under five years.Brown probably without a FF bonus had taken the club as far as he could with the existing set up.
If there is any bounce with FF we have to have the right man in place and not your normal journeyman manager.
Ron had actually tracked and chased Brown believing he was a higher calibre candidate than your normal lower league manager for that scenario .Just arrived about 10 years too soon!!

As much as i would like Sol and his team to stay,if he decides to go ,i would like Fagan to be given the opportunity either with Hidaersson or Milligan as his assistant, then i would like Kelman to be given an extra bowl of porridge each morning ,change his name to Oliver Twist and im sure he will be picking
the pockets of every CD in league 2 in no time at all. And we all be wondering why the Dickens didnt RM do this sooner

Ryan Lowe is odd favourite with Sky Bet. He would be mad to leave Plymouth for Bolton.

Ryan Lowe is odd favourite with Sky Bet. He would be mad to leave Plymouth for Bolton.

He's a northern lad so may well suit him/his family.
Crazy though to think that he would have twice got clubs promoted to league one only to join a club back in league two the following season.

He's a northern lad so may well suit him/his family.
Crazy though to think that he would have twice got clubs promoted to league one only to join a club back in league two the following season.

You can understand him jumping ship at Bury. Wonder if he will be cautious about Bolton because of their issues. Plymouth seem a pretty stable club, it’s a nice part of the world and they have a decent fan base.

But as you say he’s a northern lad and may want to return back there ala Coughlan.

Back