• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Powell, Brown & Campbell?

We have Ron for that.

Luckily for us we are in a much better position than a lot of other clubs because it makes financial sense to save us.

Yes, long term as I mentioned before. But in your dealings with the club, you must have heard some of the stories. We are temporarily potless. Ron seems to be struggling getting an injection this time.

Yes, long term as I mentioned before. But in your dealings with the club, you must have heard some of the stories. We are temporarily potless. Ron seems to be struggling getting an injection this time.

Yes we are potless just like 90% of the other clubs.
We are tuning over £5+m per year and it’s still not enough to put on 25 shows a year in a neglected stadium...... That’s about £200,000 per show. The biggest expense is of course players who are clearly paid way to much at all levels....From PL to Essex Senior.

The answer is not to winge that the PL should give us more because players and agents would just demand more. How about football living within its multi means.
There will be dozens of posts over the next 3 months demanding we rack up more debt because some poor little cherubs can’t stand L2..... If you can’t then your not a Southend fan.

Me I think it will be grate if far more clubs had to rely on there own young players. It’s far better than journeyman pros on inflated and clearly unaffordable contracts.

I want to see more scenes like Elvis mobbed in the South East corner by his own and in front of his own.... Anyone would think we had just won the league rather than our first home game and money had nothing to do with it... Just the pure joy of being united and It does the world far more good than political statements on shirts or bended knees.

I want to see more scenes like Elvis mobbed in the South East corner by his own and in front of his own.... Anyone would think we had just won the league rather than our first home game and money had nothing to do with it... Just the pure joy of being united and It does the world far more good than political statements on shirts or bended knees.

That was indeed one of those special moments at Roots Hall and I say that having watched for some 55 years.

Not this time, we're in good hands now, fingers crossed! We just need a decent manager this time, if we do manage to bring in Evatt from Barrow after paying the compo, that will show if our new owners means business.

Not this time, we're in good hands now, fingers crossed! We just need a decent manager this time, if we do manage to bring in Evatt from Barrow after paying the compo, that will show if our new owners means business.

Ian Evatt has done very well at Barrow, but there is a lot of snobbery in football about appointing outstanding managers from the non-league teams. Ironically, young managers like Evatt and the Cowleys - that have already demonstrated they can run successful teams on a shoestring - are just the sort of talent that cash starved lower league clubs should be looking at.

It is refreshing that Bolton are prepared to consider Evatt on the basis of his track record rather than simply appointing a formerly great player with little managerial record or a journeyman manager that somehow keep getting jobs without ever really having much success.

Ian Evatt has done very well at Barrow, but there is a lot of snobbery in football about appointing outstanding managers from the non-league teams. Ironically, young managers like Evatt and the Cowleys - that have already demonstrated they can run successful teams on a shoestring - are just the sort of talent that cash starved lower league clubs should be looking at.

It is refreshing that Bolton are prepared to consider Evatt on the basis of his track record rather than simply appointing a formerly great player with little managerial record or a journeyman manager that somehow keep getting jobs without ever really having much success.
Another reason why should SC leave to appoint Fagan in his place , hes young has done extremely well with our u/23s,wont cost the earth and is liked by all at the club.And im sure will be keen to impress also.

Yes we are potless just like 90% of the other clubs.
We are tuning over £5+m per year and it’s still not enough to put on 25 shows a year in a neglected stadium...... That’s about £200,000 per show. The biggest expense is of course players who are clearly paid way to much at all levels....From PL to Essex Senior.

The answer is not to winge that the PL should give us more because players and agents would just demand more. How about football living within its multi means.
There will be dozens of posts over the next 3 months demanding we rack up more debt because some poor little cherubs can’t stand L2..... If you can’t then your not a Southend fan.

Me I think it will be grate if far more clubs had to rely on there own young players. It’s far better than journeyman pros on inflated and clearly unaffordable contracts.

It is quite clear (and has been for a very long time ) that FF (even under the "new" planning arrangements) will only be developed if the Chairman manages to get someone else to provide the finance.Not only don't we as a club have a pot to **** in (that's the way the Chairman's arranged it),nor does he.

It is quite clear (and has been for a very long time ) that FF (even under the "new" planning arrangements) will only be developed if the Chairman manages to get someone else to provide the finance.Not only don't we as a club have a pot to **** in (that's the way the Chairman's arranged it),nor does he.

Ron’s finances don’t come into it.... Not one bit.

If anyone owns land with planning consent for a football stadium, hotel, 800 residential units and another plot with run down stadium but 7 acres with agreed consent for nearly 500 houses.... They can sell it on to builders.... Or borrow the money and do it themselves.....Or sell off the housing bit build the stadium and try and reach the Championship and then sell on a club with some potential for even more money to a foreign owner with no real interest in the town..

If it all goes well in 10 years time me and you could be sitting in a sterile stadium with a load of Johnny-come-latelies moaning about finishing only 14 th in the PL....We might even take a look round the Adam Barrett lounge to see our new stadium plans.... To the site off the A130 to attract people from Basildon and Chelmsford......After all that might get us into the World Super league.

Ron’s finances don’t come into it.... Not one bit.

If anyone owns land with planning consent for a football stadium, hotel, 800 residential units and another plot with run down stadium but 7 acres with agreed consent for nearly 500 houses.... They can sell it on to builders.... Or borrow the money and do it themselves.....Or sell off the housing bit build the stadium and try and reach the Championship and then sell on a club with some potential for even more money to a foreign owner with no real interest in the town..

If it all goes well in 10 years time me and you could be sitting in a sterile stadium with a load of Johnny-come-latelies moaning about finishing only 14 th in the PL....We might even take a look round the Adam Barrett lounge to see our new stadium plans.... To the site off the A130 to attract people from Basildon and Chelmsford......After all that might get us into the World Super league.

Perhaps you can explain why the Chairman has never been able to deveop FF? (What is it 22 years now and counting)?

Perhaps you can explain why the Chairman has never been able to deveop FF? (What is it 22 years now and counting)?

Unlike in Spain where a decent bung to the right official will get you what planning permission you like....Here in Britain we have to go via the council and the government.

Plus we had the added set back of an agreement with Sainsbury’s for 16 of those years..... You know this as it’s been mentioned dozens of time’s but they deliberately stalled and delayed things for their own selfish and business reasons...... But hey if you don’t like Ron these facts get in the way.

Unlike in Spain where a decent bung to the right official will get you what planning permission you like....Here in Britain we have to go via the council and the government.

Plus we had the added set back of an agreement with Sainsbury’s for 16 of those years..... You know this as it’s been mentioned dozens of time’s but they deliberately stalled and delayed things for their own selfish and business reasons...... But hey if you don’t like Ron these facts get in the way.
The biggest set back being the calling in of a public enquiry by John Prescott if my memory serves me right ....in the year FF was delayed ,the global financial crisis hit and the banks stopped lending .Was it was political move at the time and lobbied for by certain councillors?. The fact that the area was a Tory stronghold both at local and national level may have influenced two jags

If you regularly read the Spanish press, (as I do), you'll know that a lot of local and national politicians have been jailed on corruption charges (most of them from the Conservative ie right -wing Partido Popular or PP).

While I take your point about Sainsbury's ,it still begs the question as to why nobody has been signed up to replace them in the 6 years or so since that particular deal collapsed.

The biggest set back being the calling in of a public enquiry by John Prescott if my memory serves me right ....in the year FF was delayed ,the global financial crisis hit and the banks stopped lending .Was it was political move at the time and lobbied for by certain councillors?. The fact that the area was a Tory stronghold both at local and national level may have influenced two jags

The global financial crisis of which you speak was back in 2008.That's 12 years ago now.In recent years, there's never been a time like the present, when it's been so comparitively cheap to borrow money at record low rates of interest from the banks.

Last edited:
If you regularly read the Spanish press, (as I do), you'll know that a lot of local and national politicians have been jailed on corruption charges (most of them from the Conservative ie right -wing Partido Popular or PP).

While I take your point about Sainsbury's ,it still begs the question as to why nobody has been signed up to replace them in the 6 years or so since that particular deal collapsed.

The global financial crisis of which you speak was back in 2008.That's 12 years ago now.In recent years, there's never been a time like the present, when it's been so comparitively cheap to borrow money at record low rates of interest from the banks.
Don't think Ron has ever been in a stronger position than he was back then with age also on his side.The position today and prospect of completion appears to favour the council who really hold all the cards with the demands of central government housing policy being the priority.The promises Ron stated of the benefits back then of clearing debts and alternative income to the club from the retail side have now clearly gone.So my fear now is the club might end up with a new ground ,but financially running wise be in the same mess as today if the debts aren't cleared.
Your Sainsbury point is probably more explained by change in Uk shopping habits away from large supermarkets and the rise of Aldi and Lidl

The housing development is the safest option for Ron and SUFC. After the financial crash eight years ago there were no backers for the original plan involving shops etc . Just as well it did not take off in view of the emergence of on line shopping and COVID . The days of large scale shopping centres may be numbered and any income the club might have received from the original plan if it had arose would have disappeared in the light of the change of shopping habits and this nasty bug.

Don't think Ron has ever been in a stronger position than he was back then with age also on his side.The position today and prospect of completion appears to favour the council who really hold all the cards with the demands of central government housing policy being the priority.The promises Ron stated of the benefits back then of clearing debts and alternative income to the club from the retail side have now clearly gone.So my fear now is the club might end up with a new ground ,but financially running wise be in the same mess as today if the debts aren't cleared.
Your Sainsbury point is probably more explained by change in Uk shopping habits away from large supermarkets and the rise of Aldi and Lidl

While I make you right on your point about a new ground I'd say that's down to the Chairman who has inextricably mixed SUFC's fortunes/future with his own.

With the benefit of hindsight (always such a wonderful thing) the biggest mistake in SUFC's history has to be the (then) supporter's club gifting the freehold of Roots Hall to the Rubin family for nothing.All our financial troubles date from then.

In those 6 years Ron did find backers.... British Land were the first but wanted to much from the deal, so Ron found someone else..... Then the council decided it needed houses more than an empty and failing out of town retail park.

until that is finalised and the project is fully approved then the money is not needed....I don’t know but now that it’s houses it may have changed again and the money could be from a new bank/ company.

it’s planning Permission rather than money that is the problem.....That has always been the case.

I'm going to leave you guys in peace for now, just hearing Evatt is a done deal, even though its not been made official yet.

Good luck for the coming season, certainly should be an interesting one!

You’ve certainly made a better choice than the names in the original post. Good luck next season except against us!

In those 6 years Ron did find backers.... British Land were the first but wanted to much from the deal, so Ron found someone else..... Then the council decided it needed houses more than an empty and failing out of town retail park.

until that is finalised and the project is fully approved then the money is not needed....I don’t know but now that it’s houses it may have changed again and the money could be from a new bank/ company.

it’s planning Permission rather than money that is the problem.....That has always been the case.

Planning permissision for FF was originally confirmed in 2008.

Back