• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Powell deserves a chance

There is no such thing as luck. Just cause & effect.
From a cause and effect perspective Paul, do you think losing Oxley to a back injury, Coker to a knee injury, Demetriou to a knee injury, Hyam to a hamstring injury, Barratt to a knee injury, Hopper to a knee injury, Kyprianou to an achilles injury, Hendrie to a hernia, and Bunn to a hamstring injury has had a significant effect on our season?

Last edited:
All i asked for in my post yesterday was a bit of fight and refusal to give up when the chips are down! Despite the awful start i'm proud of how the lads fought till the end. Any chance some of the squad were reading Shrimperzone last night ( only kidding )

From a cause and effect perspective Paul, do you think losing Oxley to a back injury, Coker to a knee injury, Demetriou to a knee injury, Hyam to a hamstring injury, Barratt to a knee injury, Hopper to a knee injury, Kyprianou to an achilles injury, Hendrie to a hernia, and Bunn to a hamstring injury has had a significant effect on our season?

Yes it has i agree. This doesn't detract from some of the shambles on show (notably in the first 30 mins yesterday), the lack of passion and guile, the quite frankly bizarre tactics sometimes. At 0-3 I firmly believe Powell was facing the chop yesterday. Cox saved him - but you can't judge him on a handful of games alone. Let's see what the next game brings.

Back to back performances that as Blues fans we can say we are proud of is what I am looking for. Of late there have not been any. Next Saturay will be a tough game where we haven't got the best of records. Let's see if there is the same level of passion and conviction next weekend.

No way Ron will give Powell the chop with most of his squad injured. The guff on here is truly amazing. Why I rarely read it anymore to be honest. I’m definitely not happy with performances or passion at times but aanyone at Charlton will have been able to testify to the passion of all. Likewise yesterday. Confidence is at all time low so everyone just needs to stand together and survive the season. Powell should be judged on next season with full squad

For all those that don’t want to give SCP a shout please recognise that all of the Sky media coverage was on how well we were doing against 12 players in the squad injured. These comments are from professionals so get off his back and support the man. Even after all that has happened statistically he is still the second best United manager so careful what you wish for.

How many swallows have you actually seen that makes you think he isn’t “completely out of his depth”?

This season? Not many. The tail end of last season was a virtual swallow free zone, but we were safe and there was nothing to play for.

As I've said, if the squad can perform like the 2nd half of the Portsmouth game rather than the Donny game then we'll stay up. We'll see what happens on Saturday vs Accrington and what team turns up.

As I've said, if the squad can perform like the 2nd half of the Portsmouth game rather than the Donny game then we'll stay up. We'll see what happens on Saturday vs Accrington and what team turns up.

I’d be over the moon if the squad didn’t make such Sunday League errors, which saw us go 3-0 down against Pompey.

In any workplace, being understaffed is a tough ask, without then adding to your workload by making basic mistakes

I'm sick and tired of the continued clap trap about Chris Powell.Yes,he's made mistakes, but with our injury list, not many ,if any, could have worked the magic.I'm fully supportive of CP,and believe next year in League one will be ok.

CP deserves credit for taking Mantom off; yes, he was putting in a god awful performance, but being the captain, CP could have easily left him on.

I think we've done alright this season all things considered. We have a load on here who only want to moan but we've had to overcome a lot of adversity and we're still alive and kicking. That is good going

See this as a typical Southend season for me. Of the 49 years I've been a "Shrimpers" fan, these type of inconsistent performance based seasons seem more common. Only a few highly successful or dreadful seasons sprinkled in there. Back home to see away at Blackpool and Scunthorpe, can't wait. COYB

Back