• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Powell deserves a chance

Yep, bang average compared to the usual suspects. Hence why the bookies made them 500/1 to win the league in 2016.

The initial perception was those players were bang average. Looking back on it, and what those players have gone on to achieve, it’s fairly obvious that they were anything but bang average.

You think we’re higher?

After January our player wage bill is at £4 million. I don't know where that puts us in terms of a league table but I'd take a stab in the dark at well above mid table

After January our player wage bill is at £4 million. I don't know where that puts us in terms of a league table but I'd take a stab in the dark at well above mid table

Check *this* out - Don't know how reliable this is but looks about right to me.

When you consider that Sunderland just bought someone worth our entire yearly wage budget just shows how difficult it is for ANY club of our size.

Check *this* out - Don't know how reliable this is but looks about right to me.

When you consider that Sunderland just bought someone worth our entire yearly wage budget just shows how difficult it is for ANY club of our size.

Where have I said that Sunderland don't have a huge budget? Barnsley, Pompey and Luton will be higher than us too. But then I'm struggling

Ok, just spent sometime looking at the stats.

We've won 11 times. Only in 1 game did we score second and win (Burton Away)
We've lost 17 times. In 8 times we faied to score, in 8 we scored 2nd. Only in 1 game did we score first and lose (Wimbledon away and that was an O/G).
We've drawn 3. 1 we scored first, 1 second, and 1 0-0.

I think it's clear to draw from that, that's its vital that we score first as we've only twice (out of 32 league games) that we've come from behind.

If OBD’s link is correct, it backs up what I said.

Maybe @rigsby cant add some clarity.

Oh I forgot he was the club's accountant

He seems to have a better working knowledge of the ins-and-outs of the club, than most here.

If he says we have a mid table budget, and there is no evidence to disprove it, then I see no reason to disbelieve it.

I personally don’t know, so am open to being shown otherwise.

Have you found anything to prove we aren’t?

Wash your mouth out. The day that Riggers can't add some clarity will be the day Grapevine has the last word:Winking:

Haha

Listen, I know he cops some flack, but IMO, he’s one of the better posters on this site, and the place would be a lot duller without him.

Haha

Listen, I know he cops some flack, but IMO, he’s one of the better posters on this site, and the place would be a lot duller without him.
Totally agree mate. I was more questioning whether you meant 'can' rather than 'cant', and I couldn't resist the cheap tickle at the end!!!

He seems to have a better working knowledge of the ins-and-outs of the club, than most here.

If he says we have a mid table budget, and there is no evidence to disprove it, then I see no reason to disbelieve it.

I personally don’t know, so am open to being shown otherwise.

Have you found anything to prove we aren’t?

I'll just tell my source who's an ex player and an ex manager that he's wrong then

Ok, just spent sometime looking at the stats.

We've won 11 times. Only in 1 game did we score second and win (Burton Away)
We've lost 17 times. In 8 times we faied to score, in 8 we scored 2nd. Only in 1 game did we score first and lose (Wimbledon away and that was an O/G).
We've drawn 3. 1 we scored first, 1 second, and 1 0-0.

I think it's clear to draw from that, that's its vital that we score first as we've only twice (out of 32 league games) that we've come from behind.

I bet if you checked out every team you would come to the same conclusion - it’s not just us who lose if they concede first.

Football has become a game for athletes who play a bit of football - everyone is bigger more athletic and quicker than 50 years ago - pitches and the size of the goal have stayed the same. There’s comparatively less room and time to play football these days.

The days of the wizard on the wing and the midfield maestro have nearly gone for ever. It’s all about power and pace and we lack those attributes at the moment.

Can you prove beyond doubt that replacing the manager would...

A) Guarantee our status as a League One team.

B) Improve the players we have at our disposal

C) Improve our chances of being a bigger/better team in future seasons

I’ll wait.....

A&B: Yes, it's a statistical fact that the "new manager" bounce means that the team actually return to the norm, hence Man Utd with Solsjkaer. It's a statistical fact that a new manager would keep us up. Powell did it last year.

C: No, that I can't but at least we'd be in Lg1.

I feel like a stuck record repeating myself over and over. When will the Powell zealots lose the scales from their eyes and see that while he was a club legend when playing, he's seriously out of his depth as a manager. There's no shame in that - recently deceased Gordon Banks realised that managing a team was not his forte, when average player Alex Ferguson became an absolute legend for Man Utd.

And the I'll wait.....tag is getting old GBJ. I work in stats, I make sure I can back up my claims. You can choose to ignore them all you like.

Back