• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Powell Out Now

Chris in or out.

• Total voters
We are a league one club. ‘Quliaity, consistent players’ don’t stay around this league for long. That said we have individuals in our team who on their day are very good players at this level, far better than what they are showing under CP. The likes of Kightly and McLaughlin are more than capable of causing opposition defenders all sorts of problems and creating goal scoring chances. Cox is a match winner but doesn’t do it consistently.. again if he did he’d be playing at a higher level. Furthermore the likes of Demetriou, Yearwood, Hyam to name a few all have qualities about them that if used in the right way can produce match winning contributions.

The fact CP is failing, miserably to get a tone out of this side speaks volumes about his management.
And there we agree to differ.
I take your point about League One, and relative quality. My examples of Leonard and Bentley who had it, and Demetriou, Yearwood, currently, Hyam, Kightly, sadly no longer, and McLaughlin, who do not, is down to interpretation.
Would ANY Blues fan say Bentley lacked quality in his last two seasons with us?
I'll bet the list that you offer would open up a for-and-against debate.

And there we agree to differ.
I take your point about League One, and relative quality. My examples of Leonard and Bentley who had it, and Demetriou, Yearwood, currently, Hyam, Kightly, sadly no longer, and McLaughlin, who do not, is down to interpretation.
Would ANY Blues fan say Bentley lacked quality in his last two seasons with us?
I'll bet the list that you offer would open up a for-and-against debate.

Bentley and Leonard who had the quality and consistency both have something else in common.. they’ve both left to play at a higher level. Those I mentioned have qualities in their game but not the consistency but also at times we haven’t set up to play to their strengths.

That was an honest appraisal of a dreadful night, and NOT before a game as implied by Chairman Trigg.
There are a lot of personal agendas here...

True it was honest, but it was still a strange thing to say and didn't inspire any confidence. It certainly wasn't said before a game though.

Edit - I don't see why you think Chairman Trigg implied it was said before a game, he didn't. 'By not saying you're happy to only lose 3-0 for a start' is the quote, nothing about it being said before a game there, or am I missing something?

Bentley and Leonard who had the quality and consistency both have something else in common.. they’ve both left to play at a higher level. Those I mentioned have qualities in their game but not the consistency but also at times we haven’t set up to play to their strengths.
At the risk of getting into a semantics argument: quality and consistency are not the same, although quality players are more likely to be consistent.

At the risk of getting into a semantics argument: quality and consistency are not the same, although quality players are more likely to be consistent.

I never said they were the same but if you have both then you don’t tend to stay at league one level for very long. The reason we have the players we have is because they are either a) quality but not consistent or b) consistantly average.

However, I’m not sure what this has to do with CP getting what he deserves, the sack and who should replace him. We are just derailing the thread further and further.

I never said they were the same but if you have both then you don’t tend to stay at league one level for very long. The reason we have the players we have is because they are either a) quality but not consistent or b) consistantly average.

However, I’m not sure what this has to do with CP getting what he deserves, the sack and who should replace him. We are just derailing the thread further and further.
I think you will find further back you said we had quality players. No we don't - well, not enough.
I think you'll rarely find players who are 'quality but not consistent'. Frankly, we have neither.

My hope is for Southend to remain a League One club.
Have already said that if that means sacking CP guarantees it, I'm all for it.
Funnily enough, no one can. And don't tell me we stand a better chance with him gone. Who says?

No one is saying we will definitely stay up if we sack him. Some are suggesting, as am I that getting a new face in the dressing room it might just give us that new manager bounce that will help keep us up. I can’t sit here and tell you either way what will happen but I believe if we don’t make a change we are going down without a fight. If we make a change we might just survive but if we don’t then so be it, it was going to happen anyway.

It doesn't matter whether you have an abundance of quality players if the manager can't get the best out of them. If you take Luton as an example, you would look at their squad and see what on paper looks like a pretty average bunch of journeymen who have forged a decent career over the years with a variety of clubs. What makes the difference is management that develops a system and pattern of play that everyone can understand and buy into, so when changes are necessary through injuries or suspensions or loss of form by individuals, someone else comes in who understands their role. As we have seen, once a model like this is developed, it can even withstand a change of manager with Harford just as, if not more, successful than Jones. That is what has been sadly lacking during Powell's time, a complete lack of a recognisable style, pattern, call it what you will. The only recognisable characteristic has been a negative, defensive mentality aimed at eking out points with a few exceptions. If you set your sights this low it is no wonder we are only out of the bottom four on goal difference.

It doesn't matter whether you have an abundance of quality players if the manager can't get the best out of them. If you take Luton as an example, you would look at their squad and see what on paper looks like a pretty average bunch of journeymen who have forged a decent career over the years with a variety of clubs. What makes the difference is management that develops a system and pattern of play that everyone can understand and buy into, so when changes are necessary through injuries or suspensions or loss of form by individuals, someone else comes in who understands their role. As we have seen, once a model like this is developed, it can even withstand a change of manager with Harford just as, if not more, successful than Jones. That is what has been sadly lacking during Powell's time, a complete lack of a recognisable style, pattern, call it what you will. The only recognisable characteristic has been a negative, defensive mentality aimed at eking out points with a few exceptions. If you set your sights this low it is no wonder we are only out of the bottom four on goal difference.
OK, Luton have nine players with 35 or more appearances, most of them 40plus. Southend have had just four, and sadly, Turner is one of them.
This 'someone else' filling a role for the injured? Who would that be in most Southend cases?
We have used 35 players in all competitions; including the formidable Ba, Batlokwa, and Stockdale on loan.
Luton have used 47. Don't believe me? Check.

Probably I would’ve thought if it was a sacking it wouldn’t be an article for later. Could be the dreaded vote of confidence.

Makes little to no sense if it is. Say we lose our next two games and Ron finally has enough.. that leaves us 6 games to save ourselves. We currently have 8 games and albeit on goal difference, we aren’t yet in the drop zone. Two/three games more under Powell and I fear we’ll be 4/6 points adrift.

Back