• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Powell Out Now

Chris in or out.

• Total voters
Probably I would’ve thought if it was a sacking it wouldn’t be an article for later. Could be the dreaded vote of confidence.
If a new man was watching yesterday as rumoured it may take some time to convince him that he stands a chance with those players .Luckily the tour of the Fossetts farm blue fence might just swing it......Seriously some change must be on the cards even if it's Powell's back room staff

OK, Luton have nine players with 35 or more appearances, most of them 40plus. Southend have had just four, and sadly, Turner is one of them.
This 'someone else' filling a role for the injured? Who would that be in most Southend cases?
We have used 35 players in all competitions; including the formidable Ba, Batlokwa, and Stockdale on loan.
Luton have used 47. Don't believe me? Check.
Luton have used 47 players this season? Where can I check that?

So, for the moment the answer is 'Powell in'. As @Spaceman Spiff says, all we can do now is support the side for the remaining games and back them as best we can. I realise that that will brass off many on here, but no amount of lobbying on here is going to change Ron's mind (if it ever was in the first place).

I voted in, but if i turned up every week watching this dross like you guys i might come away with a different point of view.

If they have, it rather proves my point that if you have a set way of playing that brings success, personnel are interchangeable.
Mercy me! You have to have the 'personnel' in the first place - we don't. Note that most of the 47 have played very few games.
It also suggests Luton have been lucky with injuries, and therefore mostly able to play a settled side.

CP really didn't look like he knew how to adapt yesterday - the whole performance seemed anxious at best and not like a team that wanted to be in this league. Obviously you can't expect any miracles given the circumstances we're in but hopefully if we bring in someone new at this stage they can offer a Plan B and boost the confidence of the players.

As a person who liked Powell as a player but not as a manager, I really hope this is a wake up call for him

It must shock him that the fans are not united with him and his team,both on and off the pitch.
Nothing will give pleasure than see us stay up,and I'll just stay off the forum, whilst the "told you so " brigade come out of hiding and swarm the site came season end :ROFL:

Chris does not seem to be one of these managers that sits on the managerial roundabout with others that swop their roles every 18 months, so I really hope he finds the spirit to get the players up for the next 8 games

Line drawn in the sand by Ron, Chris has to do the same to players and the season starts today in training, forget the mess of last ten games, concentrate on Saturday and clear the air, even if it means players being harsh to him and the coaches, no fall out just honest opinions, take them on board and move forward, its the only way we can stay up

Sentiment will not help,only a unified team on and off the pitch, the crowd will join in if they see the effort as Portsmouth game,( though we seem to forget their 4 th goal for them which was not off side ,would have killed us off), but that's the luck we need to survive

UTS

As a person who liked Powell as a player but not as a manager, I really hope this is a wake up call for him

It must shock him that the fans are not united with him and his team,both on and off the pitch.
Nothing will give pleasure than see us stay up,and I'll just stay off the forum, whilst the "told you so " brigade come out of hiding and swarm the site came season end :ROFL:

Chris does not seem to be one of these managers that sits on the managerial roundabout with others that swop their roles every 18 months, so I really hope he finds the spirit to get the players up for the next 8 games

Line drawn in the sand by Ron, Chris has to do the same to players and the season starts today in training, forget the mess of last ten games, concentrate on Saturday and clear the air, even if it means players being harsh to him and the coaches, no fall out just honest opinions, take them on board and move forward, its the only way we can stay up

Sentiment will not help,only a unified team on and off the pitch, the crowd will join in if they see the effort as Portsmouth game,( though we seem to forget their 4 th goal for them which was not off side ,would have killed us off), but that's the luck we need to survive

UTS

Why not keep posting regardless of the outcome @Blueronron? All views are always welcome regardless of their slant and both sides of the 'I told you so' brigade are lurking whether we stay up or are relegated.

I think he CAN get us out of it. But now is the time to grow a pair with regards to team selection and tactics. Going super cautious and going 5 at the back, 1 up top and playing players out of position at home to the division’s bottom team is ridiculous. Even with the squad he has available. I’d rather he started Kelman, Wabo, Hutchinson, Klass et all in their natural positions and in a positive setup rather than playing senior players out of position in a negative one. If he really wants to go 5 at the back then make sure it’s Kiernan, Lennon and Moore. Put 2 STRIKERS up top, even if it means Kelman or Wabo. Make sure it’s 3 central midfielders across the middle and not a winger in there making it unbalanced.

The players need to be drilled until they’re blue in the face to keep their composure and patience if we go a goal down and to keep the ball on the ground because every time it’s lumped forward it comes straight back and puts us back under pressure. It’s so cheap. The only time we should EVER be lumping it forward is if it’s over the top of the opposition defence and into the channels with Wabo running onto it. Otherwise, it simply shouldn’t be happening until Humphrys or Hopper are back.

I’d like to see us go back to a basic 442 with Oxley/Bishop; Demi, Kiernan, Lennon, Hart; Bunn, Yearwood, Hyam, McLaughlin; Cox, Kelman/Wabo. With all players in the correct positions and some actual balance to the team. If he doesn’t want to do it away from home then at least do it at home and send them out to be positive and play on the front foot from the first whistle. I know most fans are backseat managers and think they can do a better job, but am I really asking too much??

I was calling for Powell’s head on Saturday night at the height of my anger. I’ve now calmed down a bit. He is currently on borrowed time but I sincerely hope that he gets us out of it and has a chance to make more of his own signings and to stamp his identity on the team a bit more for next season, because I really believe that the sort of football we saw last season after he took over was pleasing to watch and I don’t think it’s impossible that we can go back to it. Yes I’d like to see a bit more passion because while I think the “arm round the shoulder” father figure style of management had more of a place last season and was exactly what was needed to reverse the damage that Phil Brown had done, this season I wanted to see a bit more fire. But admittedly that is only going by what I see on the touchline - none of us know what he’s like behind closed doors.

Agree with pretty much all of that and particularly the proposed team selection.

Some you wanted PB sacked for his 'over confident' interviews and spending to much time on the touchline.

With CP its his lack of 'passion' in interviews and for sitting down.

You didn't like 'clean sheets' but we have ended up losing 11 at home so far and going out in all 3 cups by losing at home.

Lets hope the next man can be somewhere in the middle.

Why not keep posting regardless of the outcome @Blueronron? All views are always welcome regardless of their slant and both sides of the 'I told you so' brigade are lurking whether we stay up or are relegated.

Because RHB, it could/will be come like the politics thread and become tainted, 99.9 % percent are honest posters who feelings run high but are understanding with other view points, its when the odd 00.1 % become aggressive and play the poster and not the post that I stop

We all want Powell to keep us up and love to be proven wrong, but one or two will shout from the roof tops and become Billy Big Balls, too old to reply to them or view them,I will call my self "Snow flake" "Mr PC " ETC before the verbals begin :ROFL: and yes I have blocked a few

Because RHB, it could/will be come like the politics thread and become tainted, 99.9 % percent are honest posters who feelings run high but are understanding with other view points, its when the odd 00.1 % become aggressive and play the poster and not the post that I stop

We all want Powell to keep us up and love to be proven wrong, but one or two will shout from the roof tops and become Billy Big Balls, too old to reply to them or view them,I will call my self "Snow flake" "Mr PC " ETC before the verbals begin :ROFL: and yes I have blocked a few
The Politics Forum is no more for that very reason @Blueronron. As for your concerns on folk becoming aggressive, we, as owners and mods, are determined that the culture of playing the poster not the post, will not be allowed to grow and it will be monitored closely, and action taken where necessary. Chitchat has improved in terms of quality considerably since the Politics bit closed and we are keen to develop that trend more. Use the ignore button by all means, but keep posting mate, it all helps make the Zone as good as it is.

The Politics Forum is no more for that very reason @Blueronron. As for your concerns on folk becoming aggressive, we, as owners and mods, are determined that the culture of playing the poster not the post, will not be allowed to grow and it will be monitored closely, and action taken where necessary. Chitchat has improved in terms of quality considerably since the Politics bit closed and we are keen to develop that trend more. Use the ignore button by all means, but keep posting mate, it all helps make the Zone as good as it is.

That's very disappointing to hear. One of you mods said it's just taken down temporarily to let people calm down and for personal abuse to stop. I understood and agreed with the calm down period, but not now banning it completely. I've only started posting in the politics thread for about the last year because there's so much to talk about at the moment. I also liked it because I learnt so much from those more knowledgeable than me. Going by that you might have to ban the shrimpers chit chat threads, especially after a loss. There's just as much nasty disagreement and personal attacks, a few in these Chris Powell threads. I would have understood if you brought the politics thread back and things carried on as bad as they were, then fair enough if you closed it down permanent. It was only a small number of posters that were causing all the trouble.

I'm not a politics buff, but given the current situation, it should be re-opened as a channel of discussion.

Also, blueron, I feel the same way as you. As long as debate is healthy and honest, respecting other viewpoints and not having people individually being called out and questioned for their opinion, then we have a great forum here.

We also need to keep threads to a minimum and discussion focused. Currently we have way too many threads on Powell. Including an in and an out. Anyone posting on the wrong thread could be re-directed to the correct one and their post deleted from the wrong one. Just for continuity.

Back