• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Powell Out Now

Chris in or out.

• Total voters
...why are some people saying we have got enough to stay up? imo we are the worst football team in the division, no shots on goal, crabby midfield and a totally clueless manager who plays a lone midget up front.
Lone midget with a big target man such as Hopper or Humphries in my opinion the best front pairing in league one

I really do not understand the few people who are jumping to defend Powell.
I have been questioning his tactics, post match interviews, team selections and tinkering methods since about 6 games into the season. We were pre-warned by other clubs of all these issues before we got to where we are now. And let's face it, it's not just about yesterday or the last few games. Be totally honest, how many games into this season was it before you had doubts?

I understand a lot of people have huge wads of respect for him as a player, and so do I but HE is the person potentially taking us into league 2. The buck stops with the manager.

I can handle losing 2-0 or 2-1 if the players have put in a days work. I cannot handle losing after yet another performance like yesterday and whatever is happening behind closed doors, it's Powell that is employed to deal with it.

I agree it is not a good time in the season to change managers and I don't think it will make a huge difference, BUT if it is Powell that is poisoning the team or whatever is happening n the changing rooms and training ground then you deal with that issue and the only way is to take him out of the equation.

I would rather see him go now, see what we can make of the last few games and get the mindset of the players right before heading into next season, where ever that is be it L1 or L2 otherwise we will be looking at more of the same later this year.

We're just not causing any side any prolonged problems at the moment. We might have a purple patch of 10-15 minutes or so, but if they weather that, then they see the game out.

Losing 0-1 at home to the bottom side that put in a gritty performance, you would expect their keeper to be man of the match. The fact it was their centre forward says everything you need to know about our mindset.

It's not just about tactics, it's leaving out two of our very best players in Moore and Yearwood. Two players that could make a massive difference. Turner was rightly targeted for lack of pace by Wimbledon, Moore may be a little low on confidence, but he doesn't lack pace. He's done more last ditch tackles than anyone this season. I think 99% would pick Moore over Turner, with CP being the 1%. We know Yearwood is a special player, he's had a dip in form, but he's so good, that it's worth giving him the chance to find his best form by playing him. He can't be any worse than Dieng, who's turning out to be a luxury player.

Someone mentioned last night that perhaps Turner and Dieng start to give us height, but in Turner's case, this is outweighed by the other issues. Not least of which, having watched him closely in the first half as I was in the East Blacks, his lack of leadership. He should be organising that defence, but instead seemed a bit like he was going through the motions.

If we had to play Lennon and Kiernan, I'd have sat Kiernan in front as a holding midfielder, personally, and played Moore and Lennon in a back-four.

It's a close call but if I were Ron I would stick with Powell but can understand why people want him gone. I would give Powell the benefit of the doubt. The only thing in his favour is the crippling injury situation over the season. The injuries to Hopper, seven goals in thirteen games and Humphreys four in six have cost us dear. If either of those had been playing regularly then an extra goal or two would have given us a few more points and being nearer safety. On the downside, some of Powell's signings have been disappointing especially in midfield, Dieng, Hyam, Mantom and Bunn have been average at best and between them don't score enough goals to make up for the loss of the strikers. His choice of coaches, Matthew and Keen also looks suspect. Also, Chris may be found wanting when it comes down to motivational skills. Overall, I would let him carry on but things need to happen quickly. If Humphreys comes back for a few games and Keirnon and Lennon stay fit then we may just about survive.

If we had to play Lennon and Kiernan, I'd have sat Kiernan in front as a holding midfielder, personally, and played Moore and Lennon in a back-four.
Other way round for me, Moore in front of the other two. He's quite mobile and he's young and enthusiastic.

That could work, yes. :Thumbs up:

Either way, we need to be more positive in midfield, so having someone in front of the centre-halves, rather than behind, allows us to push players on more and play with two upfront.

That role vacated by Lenny and Tims has been sadly missed this season.

That could work, yes. :Thumbs up:

Either way, we need to be more positive in midfield, so having someone in front of the centre-halves, rather than behind, allows us to push players on more and play with two upfront.

That role vacated by Lenny and Tims has been sadly missed this season.

My 16/1 to 70 quid relegation bet is looking a bit too good now......currently 7/4 with Skybet 3/1 best elsewhere which has to be a steal if Clueless Chris stays......reasonable bet at 3/1 would pay for next years League 2 season ticket......Ron pull the trigger please and let the bookies keep my money!

Give it up Rigsby. As of now nearly 80% want Powell out. It's time for a change or we're definately going down.

Yes how silly of me to make a joke at a lynching party.

I agree with the 80% and now there's enough of us we can be really brave a silence anyone of the 20%. Lets weed them out because why should there be any room for debate, forums are for venting your anger and some people just don't get it.

Yes how silly of me to make a joke at a lynching party.

I agree with the 80% and now there's enough of us we can be really brave a silence anyone of the 20%. Lets weed them out because why should there be any room for debate, forums are for venting your anger and some people just don't get it.

It's not a lynching party, and sarcasm really doesn't become you here.

There's an awful lot of sensible, moderate posters here who have seen enough to have made their minds up. I don't think any of us are enjoying seeing a club legend on the pitch stumbling towards disaster as a manager.

.....i've got no enjoyment watching that trash every week. I see absolutely no hope of Powell keeping us up because of his ridiculous tactics that are STILL not designed to win a game even at this stage, quite unbelievable. However i hope that Ron gets rid on Monday to give us a fighting chance of staying up.....Duncan, Maher, Tea lady i don't care but a change might spark a bit of life into the players and stop us going down to the dreadful League two courtesy of a nice bloke, very poor manager.

God the world has gone mad, Trump, Brexit and now me actually fully agreeing with Wiggy. Just drop the bomb now!

It's not a lynching party, and sarcasm really doesn't become you here.

There's an awful lot of sensible, moderate posters here who have seen enough to have made their minds up. I don't think any of us are enjoying seeing a club legend on the pitch stumbling towards disaster as a manager.

Well bloody said. :Clap::Worthy:

Who are you to say I’m on my own?

League position is always more important than points total! I know from day one which league position is safe and that never changes from day 1 to final day.....the points required to stay up is variable and not known until the last knockings.

You tell me the exact points needed to stay up and I’ll tell you the exact league position needed and we’ll see who’s closer....

I’ll go for 5th bottom as defo safe.....over to you...
Excuse me for butting but points wilo dictate your position plus if needed goal diff,end of

'80%'? Which mathematically sound poll is this? But I'll bet 100% would like a results improvement.
Any talents here certain that another manager will play differently with the resources at his disposal?
The more I think about it, the more we got shafted in the January transfer window.
I love the bit that Powell's tactics are designed not to win. Really? So he actually WANTS to draw or lose. In the name of common sense...

Zero room for sentiment.

Results based business and on that alone Powell has failed.

Seems to be a lovely bloke and a legend of a player but that shouldn’t be a reason that he is beyond being sacked.

Back