• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Powell staying

So he gets the sack at the end of the season. He will not get us out of league to either.

Managers show their true ability when under pressure, whether that be chasing promotion or in adverse situations such as ours.
Powell has done nothing to convince me and many others that he has the tactical nous to adapt to the situation we are in with regard injuries. He and his assistants are responsible for identifying how to counteract our woes and setup a team with a system to be hard to beat, and steal points wherever possible. Every week he overhauls the formation and line up, even on the odd occasion where we win a point, and if this confuses the fans, it sure as hell will confuse the players. That would appear to be the case as they look like headless chickens every week.
Furthermore, when the chips are down you want to see a manager and his team motivating his players - nine times out of ten, one looks over to dugout, and Powell is nowhere to be seen - head down, hands in pockets and seemingly wanting the ground to swallow him whole.

Not all of us put the same credence on whether or not a manager is going apoplectic on the touchline. In fact, when I was playing and I saw our manager static, looking cheesed off and hands in pockets, I knew we were in trouble at half or full time.

That's what YOU want to see... which is fair enough. But it doesn't mean it's always effective and SCP just isn't that sort of manager.

I know we’re all hurting and there are specific criticisms people have, but if the club stick by Chris then we need to as well. It’s in all our interests that we stay up and if Chris is here for that journey we need to do our bit as fans to try to lift the atmosphere - at games and away from them. We need to try to trust and believe.

A noble thing to say Spiff and I really mean that but sorry, no, I can't do that anymore, not with CP in charge. I'm done until he is gone.

Not all of us put the same credence on whether or not a manager is going apoplectic on the touchline. In fact, when I was playing and I saw our manager static, looking cheesed off and hands in pockets, I knew we were in trouble at half or full time.

That's what YOU want to see... which is fair enough. But it doesn't mean it's always effective and SCP just isn't that sort of manager.

...and how about your opinion on the first part of my post?

Some sense and reason from Ron Martin there. The thing that I am surprised about is just how many of our own fans think that the injury situation is somehow something to be ignored and that anyone else is suddenly going to turn our team into a winning one.

The injured players are coming back, we have enough time. Can we therefore now stop all these "Powell Out" posts until the end of the season please and focus all the energy on supporting the mighty Blues.

Be interesting to see with the offer of free coach travel the uptake of supporters now going.
Personally I was going anyway and driving.

Some sense and reason from Ron Martin there. The thing that I am surprised about is just how many of our own fans think that the injury situation is somehow something to be ignored and that anyone else is suddenly going to turn our team into a winning one.

The injured players are coming back, we have enough time. Can we therefore now stop all these "Powell Out" posts until the end of the season please and focus all the energy on supporting the mighty Blues.
What has he done that inspires any confidence?? He still has a half decent squad to choose from and the guy has only made us worse and worse every week.

This, exactly this. Just shouting and screaming doesn't make or break success. There is a lot more to it than that

Whether people like it or not we've got 8 cup finals. Get behind the team, stay positive and cheer them on

I don’t see it happening. If we lose next week and then again the week after why do you think a free bus ride to Peterborough and a few words from Ron is going to calm anybody’s nerves and frustrations?

Be interesting to see with the offer of free coach travel the uptake of supporters now going.
Personally I was going anyway and driving.
Will still cost me £72 in tickets for 2 adults and 2 teenagers!! As some have suggested may have been better offering half price tickets??

The underlying reason for Martin's decision must be he simply cannot afford to pay up. He trots out the injuries alibi but there's probably a VAT bill looming and looking at Companies House info there's an unfair dismissal bill of nearly £19k to pay as well.

Ron’s clarified the position which ends a week of uncertainty and speculation. I be said on other threads that I think Powell’s number is up, but Martin has made his call and we now need to get behind Powell and the team. When are Humphrys or Hopper fit?

Last edited:
This, exactly this. Just shouting and screaming doesn't make or break success. There is a lot more to it than that

I'm not fussed if he jumps up and down whilst screaming at the players for 90 minutes or not. Some do, some don't.
What I am interested in is tactics, systems, game plans and in game management. This contributes to whether a team is successful or not. And on all counts, Powell falls below the required level. IMO.

The underlying reason for Martin's decision must be he simply cannot afford to pay up. He trots out the injuries alibi but there's probably a VAT bill looming and looking at Companies House info there's an unfair dismissal bill of nearly £19k to pay as well.

Is there? :Stunned::Think:

I think this (free coach travel) is a smart move by the club, although even this is criticised by some!

Hopefully we will travel not only in numbers, but those that travel will be 100% behind the team (including the Manager).

At the risk of becoming a broken record it still beggars belief just how close we came to victory at Blackpool against all expectations we were set for 3 points only to have it cruelly snatched and we've not recovered since. Had the ref blown up on 95 minutes the picture would have looked significantly better today and i don't just mean the additional 2 points.

Consult who?

If you look at Twitter, this is already causing confusion there for people who have already paid for coach travel. Neither the Trust not ZT were consulted, as both say on Twitter. Organisationally, it would help if they were.

Back