• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Powell staying

Whether we agree with the decision or not is irrelevant now. We must get behind Powell and the players and give them 100%, no more negativity from the stands. Moaning isn’t going to keep us up but our support might at least help.

As for the free coach travel, it’s a nice gesture but at £26 a ticket is anyone that wouldn’t have gone before going to be encouraged because of free travel? The free coach travel hasn’t worked well before but I think the support at Charlton showed how a large, vocal following can help get the team over the line so I hope it does encourage a few extra.

I thought the crowd were pretty good on Saturday, considering the little chances we created, and didn't help then.

But it works both ways; CP needs to start picking a side to inspire the crowd and make it look like we want to want, rather than picking a side for damage limitation.

Just for the sake of asking ,how many games were left last season when CP took over from Brown.
When SCP was appointed on 23 January 2018 we were 20th with a gap of 1 point over 21st, and there were 18 games remaining.

If you look at Twitter, this is already causing confusion there for people who have already paid for coach travel. Neither the Trust not ZT were consulted, as both say on Twitter. Organisationally, it would help if they were.

I feel like this was a decision he made today, after his meeting with Powell. Announcing it now makes far more sense as the story will be printed in the papers tomorrow morning, allowing fans enough time to see it and book onto coaches. It would've been good for him to say in that statement that he'd be in touch with both supporter groups on Monday (which I will assume he will do as most will be back in office by then) to sort out all the fine details.

Either way, this is a very positive thing for Ron to do, and I applaud him for going all out to make sure our support in our final 8 games is as strong as it can possibly be. Whatever your opinions of Chris Powell are, put them aside for the final games of this season, because the safety of our club in this league is far more important than anything else, and at the end of the day, the team NEEDS their fans more than ever before.

I know it sounds stupid but does Ron actually want/need us to be relegated?

If it's true that we have the fifth highest wages bill in League One, would relegation help alleviate the higher wages bill? Would the lower attendances in League Two cost us more than the drop off in the wages bill if we stayed in League One?

With the possible go ahead for the new stadium if we're relegated could we lift ourselves out of League Two by the time the new stadium is completed? (I know we're still awaiting from the go ahead in 2008).

I have no real idea of the inner workings of how to run a professional football club but there could be things that might help if we take a backwards step.

Ron will remember no doubt how long it took the club to get out of the basement in our last spell there 5 years!!!! close each year if memory serves me right. It's certainly not a given that if we are relegated that we will bounce straight back up at the first attempt.

Considering that the new stadium seems to be edging closing to the horizon I think he would consider it a disaster if we found ourselves trying to get out of League Two again and again whilst simultaneously attendances will drop , The club then has less appeal to any of the casual supporters, I for one don't believe that ties in very well with our argument to the council that in order for the club to grow we need a 22,000 seat stadium when in all likelyhood we wont be getting much than 5k through the gates.

only adds for more hiccups and potential room for the council to turn down or delay the application even further despite it being vital that we leave Roots Hall ,

Just my opinion that's all.

The underlying reason for Martin's decision must be he simply cannot afford to pay up. He trots out the injuries alibi but there's probably a VAT bill looming and looking at Companies House info there's an unfair dismissal bill of nearly £19k to pay as well.

unfortunately this is probably depressingly closer to the truth than we care to admit.

What ever happened to supporting your team through thick and thin?? Iv been brought up to do this and after 30 years of going would never turn my back on my club!! I have a 10 year old and he’s starting turn learn how it works with us ie it’s not all good!! People that say I’m done until Powell has gone wtf or am I the one that is wrong? I just think if that’s how you really feel ****ing do one and don’t come back.... any thoughts anyone?

yeah I've got some thoughts on someone saying they're done until Powell has gone.
they can say what the f*** they wish after over 40 years of support home and away and they're welcome back whenever they feel.

Who benefits there though?

You lose out, the club loses out, and you will be part of the problem. Granted a very small part, but if 500 people act like this, our budget next season gets substantially smaller. The club relies on its fans.

of course but you can't expect people to shell out every other week and get served up the same dire fare - if it was a restaurant they would either change the chef or go under.

yeah I've got some thoughts on someone saying they're done until Powell has gone.
they can say what the f*** they wish after over 40 years of support home and away and they're welcome back whenever they feel.
Really that’s a suprize obviously has other things to do on a Saturday then !! Tel him thanks for his support over the years

Ron will remember no doubt how long it took the club to get out of the basement in our last spell there 5 years!!!! close each year if memory serves me right. It's certainly not a given that if we are relegated that we will bounce straight back up at the first attempt.

Considering that the new stadium seems to be edging closing to the horizon I think he would consider it a disaster if we found ourselves trying to get out of League Two again and again whilst simultaneously attendances will drop , The club then has less appeal to any of the casual supporters, I for one don't believe that ties in very well with our argument to the council that in order for the club to grow we need a 22,000 seat stadium when in all likelyhood we wont be getting much than 5k through the gates.

only adds for more hiccups and potential room for the council to turn down or delay the application even further despite it being vital that we leave Roots Hall ,

Just my opinion that's all.

I think there's a lot of sense in this.

Under PB, he was given the remit to get us into The Championship, as this was the package to go with the new stadium. Primarily, for me, this was the cause of the downfall the season after we finished 7th. The expectation that we could go one better in 2017-18.

I'd be surprised if Ron keeps CP on if we lose our next two matches. He would do everything to try and keep us afloat in League One.

Attendances is an interesting one, as they might not be a lot different if we found ourselves top of League Two next season than they are now. Possibly less away fans being the key factor.

Whether a drop would result in a successful return is debatable though and if we went the way of some relegated sides in recent years, it could get a whole lot worse.

In short, I reckon CP has to win at least one of the two remaining games this month.

Last edited:
Agree with you Andy re the attendances, with possible Orient and Colchester in lower division will be same as Portsmouth and Sunderland home gates
We have a steady crowd and depends on how we start to see if crowds go higher, but the worry is if we dip to below 5k the finances will be dire

In the unlikely event off a slip up.....will the price of season tickets for 19-20, be reduced....says the bloke who's already laid out for one (dedication / foolhardy), but still a Shrimper through and through....

In the unlikely event off a slip up.....will the price of season tickets for 19-20, be reduced....says the bloke who's already laid out for one (dedication / foolhardy), but still a Shrimper through and through....

Probably freeze your price for 20/21 season when we go back up :Thumbs up:

Ron can't afford it, obviously. Any chairman witha bit more the bank would have sacked Powell months ago. He's gambling bigtime with the future of the club IMHO.

Back