• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Powell staying

Lots of people saying it’s the old dreaded vote of confidence but I don’t think it is. I think he’s genuinely backing him. Which I’m not actually surprised about as Ron has always been patient and given his managers time. He also said not long ago that CP is one of the most talented managers he’s ever worked with.

There was talk about the system he wants to play within that statement, so hopefully Ron has bollocked him about the ridiculous decisions of late. To be fair I did accept the part about injuries. I think a lot of people, including myself, just assumed that as soon as we got the injured players back we’d be instantly improved. But given how long they’ve been out for, they’re basically going to need another pre-season to get back to the same level of performance.

I imagine Ron has made it very clear that if we go down, CP will be fully expected to get us straight back up again, given the amount of quality we’ve got contracted for next season.

Whatever his reasons, I think in this current climate with managers coming and going and the lack of English managers in the game, he should be commended for taking the stance of a loyal supporter......

He’s done what everyone asks of a chairman in this situation and come out one way or another and made a public statement of support (or not) and let the supporters know exactly where they stand.

Now the line has been drawn and we know the situation and that for all the moaning in the world nothing is going to change, we need to do all we can to support discuss and get behind the team regardless of whether we agree or not.

Last edited:
I imagine Ron has made it very clear that if we go down, CP will be fully expected to get us straight back up again, given the amount of quality we’ve got contracted for next season.

There's a very dangerous game. There is no guarantee of that outcome. We stayed in the basement league for 5 years last time before we luckily won those play offs. Would the fans still feel the same? Tilson took us down twice but the caveat being is that he gave us some of the best years of SUFC. Powell has done nothing as a manager.

If we go down, paying the wages we are paying, it'll cripple the club no end. Remember what happened to Orient when they went out of L1 paying £9000 p/w?

There's a very dangerous game. There is no guarantee of that outcome. We stayed in the basement league for 5 years last time before we luckily won those play offs. Would the fans still feel the same? Tilson took us down twice but the caveat being is that he gave us some of the best years of SUFC. Powell has done nothing as a manager.

Thing is, last time we went down to League Two, we had a massive rebuilding job and it’s not hard to see why it took us so long.

Providing we keep them, the likes of Cox, Humphrys, Hopper, Yearwood, McLaughlin, Demetriou, Coker, Kiernan, Oxley, Bishop, Lennon etc. are all far too good for that league. So the expectation will be that we come straight back up again.

The danger is that we either lose all of our best players, or we keep hold of them, don’t go up and then end up in a massive financial hole.

Thing is, last time we went down to League Two, we had a massive rebuilding job and it’s not hard to see why it took us so long.

Providing we keep them, the likes of Cox, Humphrys, Hopper, Yearwood, McLaughlin, Demetriou, Coker, Kiernan, Oxley, Bishop, Lennon etc. are all far too good for that league. So the expectation will be that we come straight back up again.

The danger is that we either lose all of our best players, or we keep hold of them, don’t go up and then end up in a massive financial hole.

As I said before, will any of them fancy Lg2? Will they suffer a drop in wages? Most, if not all, could walk into a Lg1 club and keep or improve the pay they get here.

I want Powell to leave. He attracts bad luck.
That said my support will remain 100% behind the team during the matches and my frustration at Powell not doing the honourable thing and resigning will be vented here. Powell going will change both his and the teams luck. Neither of us are in a good place right now. The deck needs shuffling.

I bet Peterborough fans are pleased they got rid of Steve Evans and replaced him with Darren Ferguson.

Regarding the pattern of play thing, it's obvious to me that SCP wants to play 4-4-2 – he ended with it last season and started with it this season – but he can't realistically do it with the personnel (or lack of it) available. Hopper was brought in to be Cox's partner, as was Humphrys, and two further targets fell through.

In the opening weeks of the season we played high-tempo, attacking football with crisp passing and movement and each player knew their job. It was fantastic to watch. Unfortunately as the horrendous injuries totted up our style of football gradually deteriorated both offensively and defensively so SCP was forced to look at other solutions, most of which haven’t exactly been pretty.

People claim that he’s clueless tactically; he isn’t, you only have to look at the video where he demonstrates the game plan he used to beat Wigan last season; and from what I understand he is very thorough on the training ground with his preparation for games regarding areas of the pitch he wants players to be given different situations. But the problem here, of course, is are the players capable of carrying out those instructions if they aren’t regular first-teamers, and this is something Powell has struggled with.

But that isn’t unusual. Gerard Houllier initially played 3-5-2 at Liverpool because he didn’t think his defenders were good enough to switch to a back four, and it was the same with Arsene Wenger when he first joined Arsenal. Even Glenn Hoddle struggled to get his ideas across to the England team when he first became manager, according to Tony Adams, because he had expectations that were too high in terms of technique in certain situations.

Equally it is also not true that a manager should play the same way in every game. If you read one or both of Gary Nelson’s books, he criticised Alan Curbishley (I think?) for always playing 4-4-2 regardless of the opposition because it was too predictable. And Eddie Howe has continually changed his tactics this season at Bournemouth depending on the opposition – mostly 4-4-2 but sometimes 3-5-2 or 3-4-3. And of course recently SCP set us up to play 4-4-2 against Pompey and we got slaughtered until Humphrys had to go off, at which point we switched to 4-5-1 and it worked on that occasion but obviously it hasn’t worked in other games.

I’d be less sympathetic with SCP if the transfer window didn’t exist and he was able to bring in players to cover the absences throughout the season; and equally if the injuries were short-term niggles; but come on, when the injuries are long-term, you have a reserve team in defence, meaning the likes of Turner have to play more often than they should, and you have to rely on youngsters to fill gaps then it’s have no access to transfers you are unable to do this. I like the look of Klass, Hutchinson and Kelman and of course Bishop, less so Elvis, but they are raw and need to be introduced gradually. Although funnily enough with more game time than would have been expected that might bode better for the future.

Is Powell blameless? Of course not and like most people here I was disappointed with the line-up on Saturday. I expected a fresher team with Dru and Moore in particular back in the side and the likes of Klass and Hutchinson on the bench, not to mention keeping faith in Bishop. Having said that, it was always going to be a horrible game with those conditions, regardless of the result.

One of the worst experiences at full-time is hearing the opposition fans cheering and chanting and there’s been too much of that season.

I know that the whole injury thing can become tiresome but we’ve had unprecedented and ridiculously bad luck. Humphrys being poleaxed while actually scoring a goal and likely to be out for the season sums it all up.

Just one more thing, I applaud Ron’s decision to keep faith in SCP and explain why. But the cynical side of me wonders whether the extra life is also based on guilt over what happened on transfer deadline day…

Regarding the pattern of play thing, it's obvious to me that SCP wants to play 4-4-2 – he ended with it last season and started with it this season – but he can't realistically do it with the personnel (or lack of it) available. Hopper was brought in to be Cox's partner, as was Humphrys, and two further targets fell through.

In the opening weeks of the season we played high-tempo, attacking football with crisp passing and movement and each player knew their job. It was fantastic to watch. Unfortunately as the horrendous injuries totted up our style of football gradually deteriorated both offensively and defensively so SCP was forced to look at other solutions, most of which haven’t exactly been pretty.

People claim that he’s clueless tactically; he isn’t, you only have to look at the video where he demonstrates the game plan he used to beat Wigan last season; and from what I understand he is very thorough on the training ground with his preparation for games regarding areas of the pitch he wants players to be given different situations. But the problem here, of course, is are the players capable of carrying out those instructions if they aren’t regular first-teamers, and this is something Powell has struggled with.

But that isn’t unusual. Gerard Houllier initially played 3-5-2 at Liverpool because he didn’t think his defenders were good enough to switch to a back four, and it was the same with Arsene Wenger when he first joined Arsenal. Even Glenn Hoddle struggled to get his ideas across to the England team when he first became manager, according to Tony Adams, because he had expectations that were too high in terms of technique in certain situations.

Equally it is also not true that a manager should play the same way in every game. If you read one or both of Gary Nelson’s books, he criticised Alan Curbishley (I think?) for always playing 4-4-2 regardless of the opposition because it was too predictable. And Eddie Howe has continually changed his tactics this season at Bournemouth depending on the opposition – mostly 4-4-2 but sometimes 3-5-2 or 3-4-3. And of course recently SCP set us up to play 4-4-2 against Pompey and we got slaughtered until Humphrys had to go off, at which point we switched to 4-5-1 and it worked on that occasion but obviously it hasn’t worked in other games.

I’d be less sympathetic with SCP if the transfer window didn’t exist and he was able to bring in players to cover the absences throughout the season; and equally if the injuries were short-term niggles; but come on, when the injuries are long-term, you have a reserve team in defence, meaning the likes of Turner have to play more often than they should, and you have to rely on youngsters to fill gaps then it’s have no access to transfers you are unable to do this. I like the look of Klass, Hutchinson and Kelman and of course Bishop, less so Elvis, but they are raw and need to be introduced gradually. Although funnily enough with more game time than would have been expected that might bode better for the future.

Is Powell blameless? Of course not and like most people here I was disappointed with the line-up on Saturday. I expected a fresher team with Dru and Moore in particular back in the side and the likes of Klass and Hutchinson on the bench, not to mention keeping faith in Bishop. Having said that, it was always going to be a horrible game with those conditions, regardless of the result.

One of the worst experiences at full-time is hearing the opposition fans cheering and chanting and there’s been too much of that season.

I know that the whole injury thing can become tiresome but we’ve had unprecedented and ridiculously bad luck. Humphrys being poleaxed while actually scoring a goal and likely to be out for the season sums it all up.

Just one more thing, I applaud Ron’s decision to keep faith in SCP and explain why. But the cynical side of me wonders whether the extra life is also based on guilt over what happened on transfer deadline day…
Maybe the best post I ever read:Clap:

Free coach travel obviously cheaper than getting rid of Powell and his backups, but much more costly if we go down. I wonder on what basis Martin thinks things will change over the last 8 games?

The chairman needs to be taking a longer term view than the next 8 games.

The short term solution is sack the manager. It "worked" last year but did it work if we just end up in the same position the following season?

Whilst our short term future looks perilous, I believe our medium term future looks brighter. I think we're better placed to not be in this position this time next year if we stay up.

I think the worse thing that happens to the club isn't the financial blow of relegation but the financial blow of having a load of players on the wage bill that the manager doesn't want, on top of having to pay-off Powell and his coaching staff. That would really hamstring the new manager, making his job harder whilst driving us closer to economic ruin. Imagine that on top of the new manager not being able to keep us up?

There's not always a new manager boost. We didn't get it when we appointed Brown. We actually did worse for the rest of the season. They weren't his players, he didn't know them.

Which players are back to fitness in the next 8 games? The players that were on the pitch yesterday and were ****ing dreadful? Only Humphrys due back imminently.

Demetriou, Kiernan, Lennon, Oxley, Hyam and Bunn.

They are all coming back from injury.

Surely you don't think they are at peak form already?

I would expect all six to improve over the next 2-3 games.

A noble thing to say Spiff and I really mean that but sorry, no, I can't do that anymore, not with CP in charge. I'm done until he is gone.

Wow. Even if he turns things around and say wins the next 3 matches?

Even if we won the opening five matches of next season?

Ron can't afford it, obviously. Any chairman witha bit more the bank would have sacked Powell months ago. He's gambling bigtime with the future of the club IMHO.

I genuinely believe that at this stage it is a bigger gamble for the future of the club to sack the manager.

If we go down, paying the wages we are paying, it'll cripple the club no end. Remember what happened to Orient when they went out of L1 paying £9000 p/w?

Don't think we're paying anyone £9k a week and if we are that's going to be an issue regardless of the division we are in.

Probably a form of revenge on how we treated him as a youth. :ROFL:

Damn right. Giving a young winger that donkey Dr*we Br**ghton as the forward to get on the end of his crosses is against Article 5 of the UN Declaration of Human Rights.

Spot on mate

In all honesty the performances just haven't been there since Sir Chrissy trotted out the "I was quite pleased to only lose 3-0" line at Doncaster. What kind of message does that send to the players? The bottom line is yes we have injuries and I have sympathy for Powell on that front however we're heading for League Two at an alarming rate and the decision to keep faith will likely lead to relegation. Can Ron afford for that to happen? Can he afford to possibly spend another 5 years getting out of that dreadful league like last time? And what financial impact could relegation possibly have on Fossetts Farm? We need a lift from somewhere to get us out of trouble, it's as simple as that and unfortunately when that's the case the manager almost always loses his job. Would he be unlucky to do so? Perhaps but there won't be many here who can argue that there have also been some very, very strange team selections in recent weeks. Why the hell for example is Turner favoured over Taylor Moore at this point in the season? The Taylor Moore who should be second only to Cox for PotY this campaign. How has Mantom kept his place given his current form? Injuries will I'm sure continue to be the "go to" excuse and it's true they've been cruel to us this season but look at the X1 we've been putting out over the past couple of months - can anyone HONESTLY say that this side doesn't have the quality to stay out of the bottom 4? Really? :Unsure:

Last edited:

Yep - that about sums it up :Clap::Clap::Clap:

All we can hope for is that we stay up in spite of the current Manager

According to some we won our last promotion in spite of our last manger. We finished 7th in L1 in spite of our last manger.

So if we go down it must be the players fault because they clearly don't listen to managers.

Back