• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Powell staying

Similar to my post on the other thread:
I think he CAN get us out of it. But now is the time to grow a pair with regards to team selection and tactics whilst he is unable to play his favoured style. Going super cautious and going 5 at the back, 1 up top and playing players out of position at home to the division’s bottom team is ridiculous. Even with the squad he has available. I’d rather he started Kelman, Wabo, Hutchinson, Klass et all in their natural positions and in a positive setup rather than playing senior players out of position in a negative one. If he really wants to go 5 at the back then make sure it’s Kiernan, Lennon and Moore. Put 2 STRIKERS up top, even if it means Kelman or Wabo. Make sure it’s 3 central midfielders across the middle and not a winger in there making it unbalanced.

The players need to be drilled until they’re blue in the face to keep their composure and patience if we go a goal down and to keep the ball on the ground because every time it’s lumped forward it comes straight back and puts us back under pressure. It’s so cheap. The only time we should EVER be lumping it forward is if it’s over the top of the opposition defence and into the channels with Wabo running onto it. Otherwise, it simply shouldn’t be happening until Humphrys or Hopper are back.

I’d like to see us go back to a basic 442 with Oxley/Bishop; Demi, Kiernan, Lennon, Hart; Bunn, Yearwood, Hyam, McLaughlin; Cox, Kelman/Wabo. With all players in the correct positions and some actual balance to the team. If he doesn’t want to do it away from home then at least do it at home and send them out to be positive and play on the front foot from the first whistle. I know most fans are backseat managers and think they can do a better job, but am I really asking too much??

I was calling for Powell’s head on Saturday night at the height of my anger. I’ve now calmed down a bitHe. I think he is currently on borrowed time but I sincerely hope that he gets us out of it and has a chance to make more of his own signings and to stamp his identity on the team a bit more for next season, because I don’t believe the notion that he’s tactically inept and I really believe that the sort of football we saw last season after he took over was effective and pleasing to watch - I don’t think it’s impossible that we can go back to it. Yes I’d like to see a bit more passion because while I think the “arm round the shoulder” father figure style of management had more of a place last season and was exactly what was needed to reverse the damage that Phil Brown had done, this season I wanted to see a bit more fire. But admittedly that is only going by what I see on the touchline - none of us know what he’s like behind closed doors.

What he said above ,That is all so basic that it why myself and others have been bewildered by what has been happening. NOW THE REALITY OF RELEGATION HAS HIT THE CLUB MAYBE IT WILL GALVANIZE ADDED EFFORT AND ENDEAVOUR.

There's a very dangerous game. There is no guarantee of that outcome. We stayed in the basement league for 5 years last time before we luckily won those play offs. Would the fans still feel the same? Tilson took us down twice but the caveat being is that he gave us some of the best years of SUFC. Powell has done nothing as a manager.

Why does everyone keep saying we were lucky to win the play offs - exactly what luck did we get? Was it when the ref failed to give us a blatant penalty or maybe it was their free kick that hit the bar, then hit Bentley to go in?

There's a very dangerous game. There is no guarantee of that outcome. We stayed in the basement league for 5 years last time before we luckily won those play offs. Would the fans still feel the same? Tilson took us down twice but the caveat being is that he gave us some of the best years of SUFC. Powell has done nothing as a manager.

I'm sorry but that's just a wrong statement. We were not lucky, we scored good goals and won according to the rules of association football. Goals are not more worthy or less lucky dependent upon which minute they are scored in. If we had scored a 30 yard screamer off someone's *** you might have had a point, but we didn't so IMO you don't!

Why does everyone keep saying we were lucky to win the play offs - exactly what luck did we get? Was it when the ref failed to give us a blatant penalty or maybe it was their free kick that hit the bar, then hit Bentley to go in?

That too, I'd forgotten about their goal! If anything the real argument is that we were unlucky not to have won by a greater margin!

Especially as it was a perfectly good tackle by Timlin and never a free kick anyway.

For some that day will always be spoilt because it was a victory under PB.

Alright, perhaps a bad choice of words, but this isn't really the point is it? The point is risking relegation and expecting instant promotion is a huge risk.

Especially as it was a perfectly good tackle by Timlin and never a free kick anyway.

For some that day will always be spoilt because it was a victory under PB.

If I recall correctly, I believe it was a foul, but Timlin was complaining about the ball going out in the build up to their free kick. I could be wrong though as my memory isn't that good!!

Regarding the pattern of play thing, it's obvious to me that SCP wants to play 4-4-2 – he ended with it last season and started with it this season – but he can't realistically do it with the personnel (or lack of it) available. Hopper was brought in to be Cox's partner, as was Humphrys, and two further targets fell through.

In the opening weeks of the season we played high-tempo, attacking football with crisp passing and movement and each player knew their job. It was fantastic to watch. Unfortunately as the horrendous injuries totted up our style of football gradually deteriorated both offensively and defensively so SCP was forced to look at other solutions, most of which haven’t exactly been pretty.

People claim that he’s clueless tactically; he isn’t, you only have to look at the video where he demonstrates the game plan he used to beat Wigan last season; and from what I understand he is very thorough on the training ground with his preparation for games regarding areas of the pitch he wants players to be given different situations. But the problem here, of course, is are the players capable of carrying out those instructions if they aren’t regular first-teamers, and this is something Powell has struggled with.

But that isn’t unusual. Gerard Houllier initially played 3-5-2 at Liverpool because he didn’t think his defenders were good enough to switch to a back four, and it was the same with Arsene Wenger when he first joined Arsenal. Even Glenn Hoddle struggled to get his ideas across to the England team when he first became manager, according to Tony Adams, because he had expectations that were too high in terms of technique in certain situations.

Equally it is also not true that a manager should play the same way in every game. If you read one or both of Gary Nelson’s books, he criticised Alan Curbishley (I think?) for always playing 4-4-2 regardless of the opposition because it was too predictable. And Eddie Howe has continually changed his tactics this season at Bournemouth depending on the opposition – mostly 4-4-2 but sometimes 3-5-2 or 3-4-3. And of course recently SCP set us up to play 4-4-2 against Pompey and we got slaughtered until Humphrys had to go off, at which point we switched to 4-5-1 and it worked on that occasion but obviously it hasn’t worked in other games.

I’d be less sympathetic with SCP if the transfer window didn’t exist and he was able to bring in players to cover the absences throughout the season; and equally if the injuries were short-term niggles; but come on, when the injuries are long-term, you have a reserve team in defence, meaning the likes of Turner have to play more often than they should, and you have to rely on youngsters to fill gaps then it’s have no access to transfers you are unable to do this. I like the look of Klass, Hutchinson and Kelman and of course Bishop, less so Elvis, but they are raw and need to be introduced gradually. Although funnily enough with more game time than would have been expected that might bode better for the future.

Is Powell blameless? Of course not and like most people here I was disappointed with the line-up on Saturday. I expected a fresher team with Dru and Moore in particular back in the side and the likes of Klass and Hutchinson on the bench, not to mention keeping faith in Bishop. Having said that, it was always going to be a horrible game with those conditions, regardless of the result.

One of the worst experiences at full-time is hearing the opposition fans cheering and chanting and there’s been too much of that season.

I know that the whole injury thing can become tiresome but we’ve had unprecedented and ridiculously bad luck. Humphrys being poleaxed while actually scoring a goal and likely to be out for the season sums it all up.

Just one more thing, I applaud Ron’s decision to keep faith in SCP and explain why. But the cynical side of me wonders whether the extra life is also based on guilt over what happened on transfer deadline day…

Well said Chris...............I mean Kris!

SOUTHEND United’s fans have their say on Ron Martin’s decision to back Blues boss Chris Powell amid his side’s bad run of form.

More...

Similar to my post on the other thread:
I think he CAN get us out of it. But now is the time to grow a pair with regards to team selection and tactics whilst he is unable to play his favoured style. Going super cautious and going 5 at the back, 1 up top and playing players out of position at home to the division’s bottom team is ridiculous. Even with the squad he has available. I’d rather he started Kelman, Wabo, Hutchinson, Klass et all in their natural positions and in a positive setup rather than playing senior players out of position in a negative one. If he really wants to go 5 at the back then make sure it’s Kiernan, Lennon and Moore. Put 2 STRIKERS up top, even if it means Kelman or Wabo. Make sure it’s 3 central midfielders across the middle and not a winger in there making it unbalanced.

The players need to be drilled until they’re blue in the face to keep their composure and patience if we go a goal down and to keep the ball on the ground because every time it’s lumped forward it comes straight back and puts us back under pressure. It’s so cheap. The only time we should EVER be lumping it forward is if it’s over the top of the opposition defence and into the channels with Wabo running onto it. Otherwise, it simply shouldn’t be happening until Humphrys or Hopper are back.

I’d like to see us go back to a basic 442 with Oxley/Bishop; Demi, Kiernan, Lennon, Hart; Bunn, Yearwood, Hyam, McLaughlin; Cox, Kelman/Wabo. With all players in the correct positions and some actual balance to the team. If he doesn’t want to do it away from home then at least do it at home and send them out to be positive and play on the front foot from the first whistle. I know most fans are backseat managers and think they can do a better job, but am I really asking too much??

I was calling for Powell’s head on Saturday night at the height of my anger. I’ve now calmed down a bitHe. I think he is currently on borrowed time but I sincerely hope that he gets us out of it and has a chance to make more of his own signings and to stamp his identity on the team a bit more for next season, because I don’t believe the notion that he’s tactically inept and I really believe that the sort of football we saw last season after he took over was effective and pleasing to watch - I don’t think it’s impossible that we can go back to it. Yes I’d like to see a bit more passion because while I think the “arm round the shoulder” father figure style of management had more of a place last season and was exactly what was needed to reverse the damage that Phil Brown had done, this season I wanted to see a bit more fire. But admittedly that is only going by what I see on the touchline - none of us know what he’s like behind closed doors.
I agree with a number of points, especially the lumping it forward aimlessly.
But what is everybody's obsession with the four lads: Klass, Wabo, Hutchinson and/or Kelman?
There's not a shred of evidence they're good enough - YET.
Frankly, I'd rather play a senior out of position alongside Cox. Anyone from the midfield will have to do.
It's not ideal, but Cox on his own is even worse.
I agree about this demonstrative show of 'passion' also demanded by many.
In the heat of the moment, the ranting, arm-waving manager is ignored by players in the thick of it..
I've spoken to many over the last 25 years, and it's only when called over specifically do they get an instruction. Note how many times the nearest player to the bench is the one who has to convey stuff.

I agree with a number of points, especially the lumping it forward aimlessly.
But what is everybody's obsession with the four lads: Klass, Wabo, Hutchinson and/or Kelman?
There's not a shred of evidence they're good enough - YET.

Whilst I’d agree there has been some evidence to suggest that they aren’t completely ready or showed complete consistency, to say there’s not been one shred of evidence to say they’re good enough is a ridiculous statement!!

Klass showed enough in the Portsmouth game and the Accrington game to suggest he is good enough...granted he has also shown a drop in standards typical of a young player that mean playing week in and week out is beyond him at the moment.....

Hutchinson showed enough in the 2-0 home won v Gills (our last home win?) and enough at Accrington (our last point?) to suggest he is good enough...again he has also shown inconsistency typical of a young player....but he has also torn the u23s to pieces all season which suggests to me he is good enough....

Kelman is the youngest of them all and has got in good positions, worked hard and shown enough to see he will get there but possibly yes I’d agree that he’s shown he’s not ready yet, however he has still had an impact in sub appearances....

Wabo, I agree he haven’t yet shown he’s good enough....but he definitely hasn’t shown he isnt good enough either, because he’s not had a bloody chance!!!! How many goals do you have to get in second string football to warrant at least an opportunity in a squad that has no forwards!!

So no they haven’t all necessarily nailed down a spot or demanded regular inclusion but they have done enough to “suggest” they are good enough!!!

I’d argue what have several senior players done to suggest they are better?

A small piece of irrelevant trivia for you.....

Southend United have only won two games at home in 2019 and only one player has played in both games.......

Last edited:
Playing "safe", defensive dull footie is obviously not working. At the end of last season I'd wager CP sent them out with intent to entertain and get on the front foot, score 3 if we concede 2 etc: and we are at the stage now (that Wombles are at) where wins, wins, wins are needed and playing for, hoping for, a draw is not likely to be enough.
Stop the 5 at the back and the side, side, side midfield, give Cox a partner. PLEASE!
Get a smile back, look like you (CP) can carry the responsibility and leadership mantel.

What ever happened to supporting your team through thick and thin?? Iv been brought up to do this and after 30 years of going would never turn my back on my club!! I have a 10 year old and he’s starting turn learn how it works with us ie it’s not all good!! People that say I’m done until Powell has gone wtf or am I the one that is wrong? I just think if that’s how you really feel ****ing do one and don’t come back.... any thoughts anyone?

Whilst I’d agree there has been some evidence to suggest that they aren’t completely ready or showed complete consistency, to say there’s not been one shred of evidence to say they’re good enough is a ridiculous statement!!

Klass showed enough in the Portsmouth game and the Accrington game to suggest he is good enough...granted he has also shown a drop in standards typical of a young player that mean playing week in and week out is beyond him at the moment.....

Hutchinson showed enough in the 2-0 home won v Gills (our last home win?) and enough at Accrington (our last point?) to suggest he is good enough...again he has also shown inconsistency typical of a young player....but he has also torn the u23s to pieces all season which suggests to me he is good enough....

Kelman is the youngest of them all and has got in good positions, worked hard and shown enough to see he will get there but possibly yes I’d agree that he’s shown he’s not ready yet, however he has still had an impact in sub appearances....

Wabo, I agree he haven’t yet shown he’s good enough....but he definitely hasn’t shown he isnt good enough either, because he’s not had a bloody chance!!!! How many goals do you have to get in second string football to warrant at least an opportunity in a said that has no forwards!!

So no they haven’t all necessarily nailed down a spot or demanded regular inclusion but they have done enough to “suggest” they are good enough!!!

I’d argue what have several senior players done to suggest they are better?

A small piece of irrelevant trivia for you.....

Southend United have only won two games at home in 2019 and only one player has played in both games.......

Great post, spot on.

Back