• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Echo News Powell vows to fight on as Blues boss

I'm not fussed who would/could/should be appointed as long as they keep us up.

Speaking of Solskjaer, it would be good if we appointed someone on the basis of if we stay up the job is yours rather than committing to heavily.

Me too. It hadn't occurred to me not to renew my season ticket but I'm not buying a season ticket if Steve Evans is in charge.

I hope not, you're clearly a passionate and dedicated southend fan like many who post on here. Whilst I completely agree not wanting Evans to manage the club I wouldn't stop going just on this factor. If it's down to morals we should of all stopped years ago as Rons are incredibly poor.

I hope not, you're clearly a passionate and dedicated southend fan like many who post on here. Whilst I completely agree not wanting Evans to manage the club I wouldn't stop going just on this factor. If it's down to morals we should of all stopped years ago as Rons are incredibly poor.
Blimey if your talking morals in relation to owners and managers most grounds would be empty most games.

My first season ticket was during the dark days of the late nineties and I have never EVER turned my back on the club. Regardless of league, manager or players. Geographic reasons and work commitments keep me away but whenever I get the chance I go.

I understand some not wanting to renew due to a relegation as the price is astronomical for league two football! But to not renew because of a manager appointment? Even if he did come in a steadied the ship! I know he’s an absolute **** but maybe it takes an absolute **** to get a decent performance out of this lot.

It’s not about Chris Powell and never has been for me but I’m afraid it’s being made all about him and some need to take the blinkers off. I’m convinced if this bloke hadn’t done so well for us as a player then there would be next to no support for him.

Would you go to as many away games?

The question is, what do I do with my SZ mug if (and when) he gets the boot? Can I get a refund. :Smile: :Winking:

Would you go to as many away games?

Not going to as many as previous seasons for various reasons (life). I would normally never consider missing Peterborough away but with no trains running from Rayleigh and having no confidence in Powell my friends and i are debating whether to bother.

Not going to as many as previous seasons for various reasons (life). I would normally never consider missing Peterborough away but with no trains running from Rayleigh and having no confidence in Powell my friends and i are debating whether to bother.

Every home game is an away game for me.

One thing I've observed in my years watching Southend is that whenever the football is going well the various (life) reasons that stop people (myself included) attending as many matches as they like seems to diminish.

I really hate this stance of if we appoint him I won’t renew. I won’t visit if he stays etc! It’s embarrassing and you should support the club no matter what. There are players and managers I have disliked or been unhappy with how the club has been run. None of that would ever keep me away from the club I love and support.

Each to their own, but the only person I would do this for is Evans - I can't stand the bloke, his methods or the way that he has cheated other clubs in the past.

If you don't know what he's done or have forgotten then read this: http://twohundredpercent.net/steve-evans-football-manager-convicted-criminal/ - a couple of ex-Southend players get a dishonourable mention in the article and the following quote sums up my thoughts on Evans:

Ultimately, whatever else Evans achieves in his career will be tarnished by his past and whichever club employs him will be tainted by his involvement with them. Promotion is one thing, but respect can’t neccessarily be bought.

There's not much an individual can do to protest, but withdrawing my season ticket money is one thing. I would never stop supporting Southend, like most people I'm "Southend 'til I die" whatever the results, performances or division we play in. However if clubs keep giving Evans jobs in football we'll never get cheats like him out of the game. I want to send a message that we don't want him at our club.

As Edmund Burke once said: "The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing".

Last edited:
Vows to fight on? I have seen no evidence of fight. Perhaps he means from now on he will fight for survival. Lets see.

You bad man. Just a box or three left. :Smile: ..They will be collectors items soon.
Yep. they are a collectors item already, luckily as I actually purchased four (unlike some) I still have three left as well, not sure how many I will have left at the end of the season though. :Smile:

Every home game is an away game for me.

One thing I've observed in my years watching Southend is that whenever the football is going well the various (life) reasons that stop people (myself included) attending as many matches as they like seems to diminish.

Fair enough. Agree with what you say there.

I am surprised that Ron has not said something. He can’t be happy with this situation.

I think he is waiting until after Saturday. He's not going to publicly criticise Chris and we all know about the dreaded 'vote of confidence' so probably decided to say nothing yet.

I think he is waiting until after Saturday. He's not going to publicly criticise Chris and we all know about the dreaded 'vote of confidence' so probably decided to say nothing yet.
If he has change in mind quicker the better.Could be another 3 points down the pan come Saturday.

Back