• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Powell

Maldon Shrimper

First XI⭐
Lots of comments regarding his poor end product especially in the last few games.Does he needs someone like SC to offer some advice to improve his finishing or his he not good enough.Personally he would be best as a impact sub coming on against a tirring defence rather a starter.Curious to know what others think

There are certain things you just can't practice; you either have a natural ability or you don't. He'll score goals, but he probably won't get as many as he should do. However, if he did, he wouldn't be playing at this level!!

Personally I think he works well with someone like Cardwell, so no issues with him starting at the moment.

He’s more a 10 than a 9… or. Even a 7.5… but should start.. pace, can score.. he’s right for our level

The stats show he should absolutely be starting. His best work is off the ball energy/pressing which no-one else up top offers and although on the ball he does lack composure and is at times very frustrating he still is our top goalscorer. If he had some more composure infront of goal he wouldn't be in this league or league 2 in my opinion.

The trouble for Callum will be if Murphy/Hyde start scoring.
Cardwell has started to show he can, and you can't surrender a place just because he's a threat.
Yes, I know he's our leading scorer: 7 from 21. But Hyde has 3 from 9.
'Goals pay the rent', as David Coleman once said.
Tricky decisions lie ahead (I hope!).

Cardwell has started to show he can, and you can't surrender a place just because he's a threat.

To actually have the luxury of choice should be a game changer for us and may well work in Powell’s favour.

A real conundrum of a player.

If I recall, SVC did say earlier in the season that they were giving him all the support that he needs in order to improve his finishing and decision making.

Powell's attitude is fantastic, his effort is unbelievable, he never hides or shirks and yes so far this season we have played better with him in the Team then without. However that is against a backdrop of Murphy and Hyde both being unavailable and Cardwell only recently returning.

Would he have been a first choice if those three remained 100% fit and available ? I think the answer would have been a resounding no.

I agree that he is best suited as an impact sub, as despite the support and encouragement of the Management I am seeing zero improvement with regard to either his finishing, composure or decision making.

Never really seen a player like him who seems to be really loved by many (including me) but is so terribly poor with regard to his primary function which is scoring and creating goals.

I recall Andy Thomson being known as 'jigsaw' because as soon as he was out of the box his game fell apart, Powell is the polar opposite.

Notwithstanding this then based on our current squad he has to remain in or around the starting eleven based on his positive attributes which at this level outweigh his negative attributes.

However imho his negative attributes remain huge and probably mean that's he's not up to League 2 standard week in week out - like I said, "A real conundrum of a player."

Powell is one of the first names on the team sheet for me. He works incredibly hard and his work rate sets the tone for the rest of the team. It’s no surprise we score more and look more dangerous with him in the side.

A real conundrum of a player.

If I recall, SVC did say earlier in the season that they were giving him all the support that he needs in order to improve his finishing and decision making.

Powell's attitude is fantastic, his effort is unbelievable, he never hides or shirks and yes so far this season we have played better with him in the Team then without. However that is against a backdrop of Murphy and Hyde both being unavailable and Cardwell only recently returning.

Would he have been a first choice if those three remained 100% fit and available ? I think the answer would have been a resounding no.

I agree that he is best suited as an impact sub, as despite the support and encouragement of the Management I am seeing zero improvement with regard to either his finishing, composure or decision making.

Never really seen a player like him who seems to be really loved by many (including me) but is so terribly poor with regard to his primary function which is scoring and creating goals.

I recall Andy Thomson being known as 'jigsaw' because as soon as he was out of the box his game fell apart, Powell is the polar opposite.

Notwithstanding this then based on our current squad he has to remain in or around the starting eleven based on his positive attributes which at this level outweigh his negative attributes.

However imho his negative attributes remain huge and probably mean that's he's not up to League 2 standard week in week out - like I said, "A real conundrum of a player."
As others have said,we greatly miss his amazing influence if he’s not on the pitch.I can’t see any reason why he won’t be able to improve on his finishing and take at least a few more of those chances he wins for himself.

We're much better with him in the team than without, the stats also support this after Chris Phillips said something similar. He's massively frustrating because he normally gets 2 or 3 clear chances in a game and then several more half chances. It's good that he's getting himself in positions to get those chances but that being said, his finishing and composure is extremely poor, maybe even woeful even at NL level. It's incredible annoying because finishing is the worst part of his game which isn't great considering he's an attacker but he could of had so many goals this season. Some of his shots are weak and tame but others are just horrendously wide of the target and I'm not sure coaching will really ever fix that.

His off the ball work though is outstanding, as well as his desire. He really does cause a lot of problems especially making teams make mistakes and us getting the ball back, so he does have a lot of good qualities. Overall I do like him and want him to play but my god if he could take even 25% of his chances we'd have the top scorer in the league by far.

Lots of comments regarding his poor end product especially in the last few games.Does he needs someone like SC to offer some advice to improve his finishing or his he not good enough.Personally he would be best as a impact sub coming on against a tirring defence rather a starter.Curious to know what others think

I don't think Stan could teach what he had.

So exactly the same goals to game ratio then.

Its good to see Murphy and Hyde getting minutes. Hopefully by the end of January Kev will have decisions to make about our forwards. Far to often we haven't had that option.

I feel the team and CP, if he plays, will have a run of goals and points in the next few months. Missing chances and hitting the 'woodwork' 4 times in a game I see as a positive thing.

So exactly the same goals to game ratio then.

Its good to see Murphy and Hyde getting minutes. Hopefully by the end of January Kev will have decisions to make about our forwards. Far to often we haven't had that option.

I feel the team and CP, if he plays, will have a run of goals and points in the next few months. Missing chances and hitting the 'woodwork' 4 times in a game I see as a positive thing.
Yes, the same goals ratio: hence those tricky decisions if everyone stays fit.
That's a big 'if' in Hyde's case, and of course one can factor in Wreh too.
Even without the embargo, I'm not sure NL management would go looking for another forward when you have five on the books already.

Powell would easily make my all-time team of “players you would bring on to change the game in the last 20 minutes”.

Back