• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

southend4ever

I used to play a little.
I've been searching for weeks on end for a holiday. The Mrs and I are after a relaxing beach holiday. She is a student and is on a tight budget. The exchange rate of the Euro is still bad. Therefore, we have gone down the route of All Inclusive holidays. I have been on these before and I am aware of many of the pro's and cons of these holidays but every site that I go on I look at the 4* and 5* accomodation. I find 5* accomodation 10 nights in Turkey for £470 and then I type in the hotel on tripadvisor and it is very low down the list for hotels in that area of Turkey. This seems to happen with all of the different locations and hotels I try.

Now in my opinion the comments on the website are either awful or very good and then the odd person being completely honest and taking a neutral viewpoint always weighs up what has been said and they appear to offer a valuable explanation about what to expect. I realise that different operators offer different hotels. However, if the official star rating (not the operator rating) is 4* and 5* I am becoming confused as to why I find so many derogatory comments. I notice that many people post at the end of the year. I would think many post as soon as they come back from holiday. Therefore maybe many people have these bad experiences in the off season because parts of hotels are closed and there is less staff etc. That in my opinion is standard but probably not advertised. I also try my level best to see the age of the people writing the reviews because I think age has an effect on expectations.

All I want is a 10day ish holiday, somewhere hot, with a sandy beach that in total will be at the most under £600 per person. I have looked at so many different destinations and like what I see but tripadvisor puts me off. I like the concept of the site but it is making me believe that no one is ever happy with their holiday! The only alternative is somewhere further away outside of the Euro which may be expensive to travel to but costs little to enjoy your time there e.g. Thailand.

Can anyone recommend any good websites to look at for all inclusive packages or any good operators to go through? I thought I would try walking into a few high street travel agents a month or so ago and as I thought they still seem to charge a lot more than what is offered on the internet and when I asked the young lady why I should book through First Choice she seemed slightly baffled only offering me the idea that they are a big company and if anything goes wrong they will sort it. I couldn't accept generally paying hundreds more for each holiday and wouldn't buy their prices.

Has anyone any good links or holiday suggestions?

Cheers all,

Boris

i think it all comes down to expectations tbh

people paying £450 for an all inclusive for two weeks in a lovely country and expecting 5* dubai style luxury are kidding themselves, and therefore lies the problem.

If you are realistic about your expectations and what you have paid, in reality you shouldnt be disapointed.

Go to Canvey mate, there's sandy beaches galore, it's abroad, well about 10 feet at least, the sun shines occasionally, there's cafe society (a Wimpy Bar with a table outside). There's views of outstanding beauty and also a wonderfully appointed holiday camp. What more could you want from a holiday island?

:unsure:;)

Nurse!!!

The sites I use are teletextholidays.co.uk and icelolly.com

Davros, I am not kidding myself mate. That is what it comes in at. I do not give the hotel a star rating. I presume the websites to be telling the truth. It is more 10 days than 2 weeks I am looking at. Again, if you look at canary islands it is possible.

I spent too many of my younger years in Canvey when I was growing up. Not due back there until at the very earliest I am in an old persons home.

Albania I would feel under threat from locals who have no standards, which is probably why you advise it. Lots of looting. An unknown quantity.

Turkey is outside of the Euro. For £600 each I would expect you to be able to do a package holiday and then pay for meals/drinks etc seperate easily - as long as you stick to local alcohol (Efe's beer is very good)

Have you tried Portman Direct? they dont use tarvel agents and pass savings on to the customer? When I was at Unijet Holidays when I was 18 we could never beat there prices. All be it that was 12 years ago.

Why do you not try some of the 7-10 cruises that are available. Some of them have excellent prices and you can barter with the companies - works for me everytime

Feuataventura mate. North eastern beaches and dunes are some of the most secluded you can find, after a walk that is. Relatively cheap accomodation if staying on the outskirts of Corralejo and the coastal town centre is but a cheap taxi ride away. With the African coast a mere 60 miles away your also going to get plenty of sunshine.

Phil

Back