• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Prague,Vienna and Budapest

Tangled up in Blue

Certified Senior Citizen⭐
We're off on our family hols. to these three cities in August and if anyone has any tips they'd like to pass on I'd be more than grateful.Thanks in advance.

We're travelling independently and have booked a flight over to Prague and a flight back from Budapest.Travelling in between by train.Haven't booked hotels yet -so any recommendations?

I visited Vienna in Inter-rail days as a student but all I remember was a trip to the Hapsburg Palace and to the Prater(Ferris wheel in the Third Man film).

So restaurant,cafe,hotel,places to visit tips, all welcome.Cheers.

Last edited:
I visited Prague in March 09, beautiful city.

The metro system is very easy to navigate and a transport pass is well worth the money (was about £10 for 3 days) covers buses, metro and trams, you can buy these in the arrivals hall of Prague Airport.

I stayed at the Ibis Old Town (very similar to a Premier Inn), also included breakfast which was continental. Hotel was only a short walk from the Old Town Square, with the Tynn Church and the astronomical clock. In fact some of the best views of prague are from the top of the clock tower (entrance is in a seperate building on the left from the clock.)

Prague used to be very cheap for eating out and drinking, but prices have gone up a little over the last few years. The Czech people were also extreamly friendly.

If you have a spare day in Vienna, it is only a short hop to the city of Bratislava. Possible by boat, train or coach from Vienna. Could make for an interesting day trip.

The Mrs and I went to Budapest last November and we had mixed feelings.

There is a place called Fishermans Wharf which is nice, we liked Heros square too and the Hungarian Parliment buildings were worth a visit. We walked everywhere and it was fairly safe altough late at night on the tube was a bit hairy at times. The local people cant help you enough so would recommend that.

The food I must warn you is pony. If you imagine a country that is not allowed to season anything then you basically have got hungarian cuisine. We eat all the local dishes and must say was really disappointed in the food.

2 days was more than enough for us personally.

Andels hotel in Prague was amazing when we went 6 years ago, about 10 mins out of Wenceslas Square via the subway, but a very smart and up & coming part of the city.

My parents have just done a similar holiday, although it was all train from London & they also went to Berlin too.
They really enjoyed Vienna & Budapest but less so the other two.

Got Statue Park in Budapest - http://www.szoborpark.hu/index.php?Lang=en - a load of old Soviet statues in one place.

Also the House Of Terror there too - http://www.terrorhaza.hu/

We did a similar trip a few years ago (not Vienna, but flew into Parague, train to Budapest and flew home from there) and really enjoyed it. Prague is more traditionally touristy, Budapest I found had more recent history which was fascinating.

Went to Prague twice last year, in June and October. Lovely city, especially when the sun is shining but be warned it will be heaving with tourists (no surprise I guess as it is the capital), its very popular being out of the Euro and comparatively quite cheap to the rest of europe. It is also home to the finest beer I have tasted in Europe.

Stayed at the same hotel both times, Hotel Atlantic. Slap bang in the centre (about 2 mins walk from the Old Town Square), v reasonable rates with great staff and a wonderful buffet breakfast to start the day with. As you can see v positive reviews.

http://www.tripadvisor.co.uk/Hotel_Review-g274707-d276682-Reviews-Hotel_Atlantic-Prague_Bohemia.html

Of course at peak summer time they may jack their prices up but it is an excellent hotel.
Things to do well there is plenty and its not the biggest city in terms of size so most of it walkable, although if you have children you may want to hop on one of the trams or buses which are very cheap. Also can be very cobbled and hilly in places especially near the Castle.
An excellent online guide which I used was from the inyourpocket website, you can print off a PDF version. A good map is essential as its very easy to get lost due to the unpronounceable street names and windy streets.

Two good restuarants- Celnice (right near the old town square) and U Medvedku (home to the best pint of Budvar you will ever have) and there are some good places near Wenceslas Square. Both have very good menus, which makes a change as the food in most places was very limited and basic. Its not a city of fine cuisine, its main selling point is definitely its beer! I found the people very friendly and most spoke English if you get stuck. As I say though in August you will find it very much like London, full of Germans, Japs and Yanks and you may well have to queue for a while to see some things.

Got Statue Park in Budapest - http://www.szoborpark.hu/index.php?Lang=en - a load of old Soviet statues in one place.

Also the House Of Terror there too - http://www.terrorhaza.hu/

We did a similar trip a few years ago (not Vienna, but flew into Parague, train to Budapest and flew home from there) and really enjoyed it. Prague is more traditionally touristy, Budapest I found had more recent history which was fascinating.

Word of warning. The Mrs and I left the House of Terror until the last day (Monday) which was a bit of a ******* as all the museums close all day on Mondays...

Hotel Julian in Prague is worth a look - central, reasonable and very nice. They'd overbooked the week we went and so they upgraded us from a double room to a whole suite :clap:

I have been to all 3, please bare in mind I was 19 so my main interests were going out on the lash so tourist shizzle wasnt on the agenda

Vienna - very boring
Budapest - good night life, make sure you visit the baths, they are good fun and most people will know what your talking about if you ask them.
Prague - great city, to many churches and but a visit to the castle and bridge is a must.

I went to Prague about 10 years ago now, and like others have said it's a beautiful city, the locals are really friendly & helpful. Wencelas Square & the Old Town Square are at the centre of everything with plenty of restaurants & pubs etc. As Sammyboy said, make sure you check out Charles Bridge across the river and the Castle just above it on the hill.

A few other good places I went to included;

The Old Jewish Cemetary - morbid sounding I know, but a remarkable place.
The Žižkov TV Tower - amazing views of the whole city.
Veletnrzi Palace Museum of Modern Art
Mucha Museum - Small museum dedicated to work of Alphonse Mucha

Also done the fly to Budapest-train to Prague thing. Ended up in a coach full of farmers having a drinking contest with potato moonshine. Much fun. Also, please note that the machine gun-toting train guards who come round and check your passport do not have a sense of humour. At all.

Anyhoo, the centre of Prague is small enough to wander round on foot; it's very touristy and wouldn't look out of place on a chocolate box. The Cathedral is the main tourist area for a reason; it's a stunning - if slightly comically overblown - piece of gothic architechture. Eating and drinking there is pricey, though there's a Brazilian restaurant there which is a cracking all-you-can-eat parade of meat. Ambiente Restaurant Brasiliero it's called, I think. Don't go there just before you head to the airport, though, as you will have horrible, horrible meat sweats at 27,000 feet which I do not recommend.

I preferred Budapest, though it is far more sprawling, and (as previously mentioned) the metro isn't too safe at night. The river view of the Danube knocks London's river view into a cocked hat. There's a massive hill right opposite the parliament buildings, and it's got loads of statues and caves on the way up, with some absolutely stunning views from the top. It's also an easy wander from there to the old town and castle which are very nice. Budapest is also home to lots of natural hot spring spas which are nice for a swim and also for viewing the excellent local bird life. The commie statue park is well worth a visit, and though Hero Square itself is pretty dull, there's a gorgeous 'fairytale castle' just round the corner which the kids will enjoy. As for grubbing up, then I recommend Fatal's just off Vaci Utca near the river and the massive indoor farmer's market. Huge portions and a good atmosphere - have the red snapper if you like fish. Get there early though, as the locals all eat there.

I'll pop back if I think of anything else.

J_S

I preferred Budapest, though it is far more sprawling, and (as previously mentioned) the metro isn't too safe at night. The river view of the Danube knocks London's river view into a cocked hat. There's a massive hill right opposite the parliament buildings, and it's got loads of statues and caves on the way up, with some absolutely stunning views from the top. It's also an easy wander from there to the old town and castle which are very nice. Budapest is also home to lots of natural hot spring spas which are nice for a swim and also for viewing the excellent local bird life. The commie statue park is well worth a visit, and though Hero Square itself is pretty dull, there's a gorgeous 'fairytale castle' just round the corner which the kids will enjoy. As for grubbing up, then I recommend Fatal's just off Vaci Utca near the river and the massive indoor farmer's market. Huge portions and a good atmosphere - have the red snapper if you like fish. Get there early though, as the locals all eat there.

I'll pop back if I think of anything else.

J_S

The hill opposite the parliament buildings is Buda. If you cross the Margaret Bridge going from Pest to Buda there's also Margit Sziget (Margaret Island) on your right which you can visit. The Vaci Utca mentioned is the main shopping area in Budapest. Well done J_S for mentioning the Fatal (pronounced fataal). As he says it's a very popular place with the locals and quite a few people that I know eat there regularly. It's a nice restaurant which serves excellent food and is cheap (especially compared to a lot of the restaurants in the Vaci Utca area).

We're off on our family hols. to these three cities in August and if anyone has any tips they'd like to pass on I'd be more than grateful.Thanks in advance.

We're travelling independently and have booked a flight over to Prague and a flight back from Budapest.Travelling in between by train.Haven't booked hotels yet -so any recommendations?

I visited Vienna in Inter-rail days as a student but all I remember was a trip to the Hapsburg Palace and to the Prater(Ferris wheel in the Third Man film).

So restaurant,cafe,hotel,places to visit tips, all welcome.Cheers.

Buy a guidebook you tight git

Back