• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Pre Match Thread: England vs USA Semi Final 2nd July 2019 20:00hrs

England vs USE WWC final result

• England win

Votes: 4 44.4%
  • USA win

Votes: 5 55.6%

• Total voters
The very fact that there is a discussion on this board regarding English tactics/inconsistencies really does show how far the womens game has come. Previously it wouldn't have even merited a thread, let alone a discussion. Keep it going chaps.

Have you watched all of England's games,did you see the defensive impact Houghton had against Norway? I'd agree there is inconsistency in their play, maybe all through the team, but not 'poor' which is what you stated in respect of the 'defensive third', not just playing out from the back. Teams create chances. Did Norway win, no. As England won their previous 5 matches can only assume those other teams were even worse than poor in defence.

Yep. Pretty much spot on. I've watched all of England's games and a handful of others when I've had the time. It's been a really entertaining tournament, but the standard of defending has been bang average in my opinion. Even Bronze, the best player in the world according to her manager, made a fairly basic mistake in getting caught too square and too narrow for the US opener last night. And as has already been said, most teams at the tournament have had their issues playing out from the back.

Norway's full-backs in the QF were exposed time and time again and didn't adapt their play whatsoever to handle Parris' runs. Rapinoe's hamstring injury made Jill Ellis' job a little easier last night, but replacing her with Press was on the cards anyway to give Crystal Dunn a little more protection having seen the damage Bronze/Parris did to Norway, at least that was what Hope Solo was saying on Five Live earlier this week.

I actually think it's a really interesting trend for world football in general. Last year's World Cup was also hailed as being a great tournament for attacking football, and look at the balance of both the England sides. With Sancho, Sterling and Rashford the men's team look like being really quite potent going forward, ditto with a fully-fit Duggan-White-Parris, with Mead and Stanway in reserve. Would certainly appear that some of the shackles are being taken off international sides.

I actually think Rapinoe being injured might have been a negative for us. Rapinoe is a good finisher but having watched some of their other games she isn't very mobile and we probably could have dealt with her because of it. Press ran around a lot and caused problems even when she wasn't directly involved with a chance.

Tonight’s semi-final seems destined for another half-hour. Don’t see anything so far in either team to suggest they will cause the USA too many problems in the final.

I'd take the USA to win by 2 or 3 clear goals in the final. Pity the tournament organisers fixed the draw as they did.

Back