• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

PRE-MATCH THREAD - EURO 2021 England vs Croatia - Sunday 13th June 2021 2pm

What do you think the England result will be?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

RHB

I'm a Mod too⭐⭐
Staff member
Just to keep our hand in during the close season, a pre match thread for England's first game. If it is popular we can maybe run pre match threads through the tournament.

So, normal rules, pre match chat, team and tactics, it all happens here. Come on England.

The Italian 100% performance shows the way to play, pressing, quick short passes mixing up with pace, very well organised.
IMO Italy don't have the mega stars England have in Kane, Fodan and Grealish however they have better centre backs as ball players.
If, IF, England start positive then we can be good, we need a ref as good as last night's in Rome.

Thought Italy were excellent last night.They played with a very high press and looked like they'll be going some way in the tournament.

Luka Modric has for some time now IMO,when on his game,been the best midfield player on the planet.

I'm going for a draw for this one.

Southgate will play it safe and maybe even go for 5 at the back I reckon. Chances will probably be limited and they’ll have more possession…. but I’ll go for 1-1.

Southgate will play it safe and maybe even go for 5 at the back I reckon. Chances will probably be limited and they’ll have more possession…. but I’ll go for 1-1.
This, your possible explanation, is why England stutter in their performances, change and reacting to opponents before a ball has been kicked.
Italy had their line up sorted a year ago, system in place, and players who did as instructed. 9 out of 10 games they will try to play same way but England will make change after change.

And you are likely correct in what GS will do in trying to shore up weaknesses rather than push for strengths.

Croatia aren't the same team they were in the 2018, they've struggled to replace Rakitic and Mandzukic (2 of their key players in the world cup) and their form in the last year or so has been poor. On paper we should win but I'm worried Southgate will give them too much respect (especially with our lacks of CBs) and play for a draw.

Trying to stay positive about a match I reckon we should win but fear GS will take the cautious option on team selection rather than go for an attacking line-up. If we can’t win this one then little hope of any great progress in the comp.

Anyone watching the two other games today?

Trying to stay positive about a match I reckon we should win but fear GS will take the cautious option on team selection rather than go for an attacking line-up. If we can’t win this one then little hope of any great progress in the comp.

Anyone watching the two other games today?
Watching Wales v Switzerland now. How Wales are playing is how I see England playing tomorrow. Inviting lots of pressure and doing lots of defending. They’ve had chances though and could’ve scored.

Wales quite poor, Bale has done little.
Yeah, deservedly 1-0 down now. They needed to raise their game 2nd half and haven’t.
Hopefully tomorrow England will have the self belief and confidence to hang on to the ball and impose themselves on Croatia rather than sit back like the Welsh have done so far.

Not so sure Wales can pick it up, an overrated team IMO.
Fingers-crossed for a fast start tomorrow, moving the ball quickly and utilising the undoubted pace up front. Don’t want to see Kane dropping back to find the ball as he did against Austria.

Would prefer GS declares an intent with an attack-minded line-up and midfield creativity….but he’s probably waiting on his pet player to tell him he’s fit enough to play….

I hope I’m wrong but I think it’ll be predictable and boring from England. Sterling will start I expect, he won’t risk two of Mount, Grealish and Foden together, Walker will likely get the nod over James at RB. I’d be amazed if it wasn’t “play safe”.

Back