• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

PRE-MATCH THREAD - EURO 2021 SEMI FINAL England v Denmark. Wednesday 7th July 2021 20:00.

What do you think the England result will be against Denmark?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

RHB

I'm a Gnu, how do you do!⭐⭐
Staff member
It's getting just a bit exciting isn't it? Next up Denmark (the neutrals favourites) at Wembley. With a 60k crowd we're never going to get a better chance of reaching the final.

Normal stuff, you know what to do.

england squad.jpg

Im still trying to celebrate yesterdays win,but now the worry about the Denmark game is taking over.
Just phoned my German mate (his birthday),he started slagging off England....play acting,cheating,kane rolling on the floor etc.
He said "the Danes will give us a good hiding",he hopes.
I told him i did not see anything like that??
I said "are you sure that was England?NOT Italy??You know Italy,your mates in WW2 when things were going well,but joined our side when it was not"
He did not say much after that,but was invited round for a beer. Think i will wait till (Please God),we win the Euros..then go

The Ukrainian plan was to keep it tight, not concede and look for a break or go to pens.
Kane's early goal ruined that.
My worry is that GS has the same tight plan and we will concede and what happens then? If we are chasing a game then we will need Grealish, Foden and a more front foot system; one which will be untested and could be ring rusty.

And we are a well known quantity for oppos to have a scheme to counter.

Finally, the ball control and pass pass pass across and back has been NOT greatly tested by a level of pressing that the Italians are doing.

Im still trying to celebrate yesterdays win,but now the worry about the Denmark game is taking over.
Just phoned my German mate (his birthday),he started slagging off England....play acting,cheating,kane rolling on the floor etc.
He said "the Danes will give us a good hiding",he hopes.
I told him i did not see anything like that??
I said "are you sure that was England?NOT Italy??You know Italy,your mates in WW2 when things were going well,but joined our side when it was not"
He did not say much after that,but was invited round for a beer. Think i will wait till (Please God),we win the Euros..then go
Just get new mates @ozzie, it would be easier as you could interview them first to see if they like England. :Smile2:

Prior to the tournament getting under way a large number of England fans doubted Southgate was up to the task.

So three games later we had 7 points and topped the group without conceding a goal. Next up, the round of 16 and Germany, oh the horror of it, we never beat the Germans and Southgate is always defensive and we need to attack more, Outcome? We move up a gear and send the Germans packing and score two in the process, not only that, but that useless donkey Kane scores, what a fluke eh? After that game there was a bit of a realisation that Southgate just may know what he's doing and he's got a plan, surely not. And so onwards to last night and the Ukrainians in Rome. Well, there we moved into a higher gear, controlled the game tactically from start to finish, turned Jaden Sancho loose on the international stage and scored 4 good goals. Surely Southgate couldn't have planned all that?

So, here we are, five games down the line, 9 goals scored and none conceded and a semi final next up against Denmark. Anything could happen now but it really does look as if Gareth and co know exactly what they are doing, and, as happens in tournaments, we look stronger with each game. If I was a neutral looking in from the outside I would say that England look just as much of a prospect as any of the remaining teams still in. Not only that, but the progress is strikingly similar to the team of 1966.. Sadly, I'm an avid England supporter so I'm not sure I will believe that until we win the final. Then I'll say I never doubted them.

I really fancy us for this one and the next.

Some good points above and I kinda see where RHB is coming from ….. but look. As England fans we’re sadly used to disappointment and being kicked in the bollox. So there’s gonna be some caution and pessimism. It’s natural.
Not only that, but we love moaning as much as we love queuing.
Yup the team have done great so far. Kane and Sterling and others have justified their selection. Granted, there are lots of positives about our tournament .. so far.

But let’s not jump ahead of ourselves! We always do this. Steve Holland deserves a mention not just Southgate, he’s a massive part of our success along with all the coaching staff. We have won **** all …. so far.

There’s nothing wrong with keeping your feet on the ground and being realistic I don’t think? I’ll be as ecstatic as anyone IF we win the Euros but we need to beat Denmark and then Spain or Italy and that’ll really up the ante and test the squad and the management team. If we win, we’ll have won because we deserved to. No doubt.

Last edited:
@RHB , yes. I want to believe but you understand how it is?
Hope for the best, prepare for the worst.

I watched Kane carefully and he looked more mobile and more roaming about than previous, especially group games.

The Danes have over achieved, will they be un-inhibited or jaded?

Come what may the England squad have done well and without fuss or scandal.

@RHB , yes. I want to believe but you understand how it is?
Hope for the best, prepare for the worst.

I watched Kane carefully and he looked more mobile and more roaming about than previous, especially group games.

The Danes have over achieved, will they be un-inhibited or jaded?

Come what may the England squad have done well and without fuss or scandal.
Yep, agree. I am cautiously optimistic but the Danes will be very tough opponents and have players who can hurt us. Indeed, they were the last team to beat us at home (I think!) in the Nations League, albeit having an extra man for most of the game after Maguire was sent off, allowing Eriksson to run the show.

A home game and a big crowd should give us an advantage but after two winnable semis against Croatia and Netherlands that we let slip away it's difficult not to be a bit wary. Fingers crossed, etc.

Denmark have the Erikson motivation but that'll only take them so far. I think we'll see them off.

Now the final is an interesting one. Spain and I'm confident we'll win - they've been incredibly lucky to get as far as the SF despite how many they've scored. Italy and...well it maybe a step too far. Bar England's knockout games, Italy have been the outstanding team of the tournament....and their masters of typical Italian gamesmanship....or cheating as the rest of the world calls it.

I said the same thing with the Ukraine thread, we have too much in our locker for the Danes, 2 nil England.

Just watched a press conference with Harry Maguire and he’s paid tribute to Chris Powell and his energy and positivity in the camp .. which makes how things ended here even sadder. He was a broken man when he left Southend.

Maguire said all the right things .. got to love the quiet confidence coming from the England squad. Croatia SF game mentioned, let’s hope they approach this week’s game with all guns blazing having learned lessons.

It's probably just me but I'm having a little problem getting behind the England side as much as I would normally do. I have no beef with the genuine supporters on here getting behind the three lions, it's the free-riders who are causing the problem for me. For some sections of the british press and other 'new found supporters' it has become less to do with football and more to do with promoting 'Global Britain.' My brother who, apart from watching his grand-daughter play on a Sunday morning, doesn't give a toss about football, has suddenly become a great England fan. I messaged him over the weekend congratulating him on his new found enthusiasm for the professional game. I suggested that he may like to support his local team next season and that season tickets were now available..............I haven't had a reply to that. So, England football, hoorah!, England nationalism boooooooooo! Is that unfair, can the two be differentiated????

It is cheap news for the press, easy to fiĺl pages and stick a few pics In to further bloat it.
As @yogi bear up the cagire illustrates the plastic football fan holds sway and will be reading up on knowledge to fill that vacuum.
It would be good if the "feel good" filtered down the leagues for bumper crowds come kick off but I don't foresee that happening, just an uptake of pay TV money for Murdoch and the big clubs.

Thinking about this a bit more, England are in the Semi Finals of Euro 202
It's probably just me but I'm having a little problem getting behind the England side as much as I would normally do. I have no beef with the genuine supporters on here getting behind the three lions, it's the free-riders who are causing the problem for me. For some sections of the british press and other 'new found supporters' it has become less to do with football and more to do with promoting 'Global Britain.' My brother who, apart from watching his grand-daughter play on a Sunday morning, doesn't give a toss about football, has suddenly become a great England fan. I messaged him over the weekend congratulating him on his new found enthusiasm for the professional game. I suggested that he may like to support his local team next season and that season tickets were now available..............I haven't had a reply to that. So, England football, hoorah!, England nationalism boooooooooo! Is that unfair, can the two be differentiated????
Happens every time in a international tournament Yogi. People get caught up in the euphoria and media hype and pledge eternal love for the English national side and then after the event it dies down again. It was like it in 1966 and has been the same ever since. I say the same, but probably during the last world cup and now this time, social media and tv have just pumped everyone up. It was even true when we went to Wembley with Luggy/Brown. There were so many 'supporters' who wore the Southend colours (and numerous West Ham ones) never to be seen again after we lost.

Happens every time a tournament happens, some on here rather Southend got promoted than England win euros! How many on here been to an England game in last 4 years?

I'm nervous, especially as so many in the media seem to think we'll just turn up and win it. They were like that with Ukraine, and I was nervous about that for the same reason. Turned out alright

Supporting your country even though you know little about football is normal.Germany goes mental here.
EVERYBODY gets behind Germany,my wife who knows nowt about football watched more Euro games than me(till the Germans got knocked out),because thats what Germans do then she can at least talk about it at work.Now i expect they are talking about shoes,clothes etc again.
My daughter(not this year,virus), used to go with her husband and friends to the town center,faces painted,flags etc..where hundreds,maybe over a thousand Germans meet up for a CUMON Germany party.
Happens every Euro-WC..especially weekends.Neither my Daughter/son-i-L have ever been to a game.Knows nowt about footie...why do they do it..to get behind the German team,party time..to show that they are behind Germany-German team
Think its a good thing getting behind your team/country.
Unlike me,when their team gets beaten they dont lose sleep,get drunk or wake up thinking what did i do last night.
In fact,normally,there is never any trouble here win or lose.
Just enjoy it

Back