• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

PRE-MATCH THREAD - EURO 2021 Ukraine vs England - Saturday 3rd July 2021 20:00.

What do you think the England result will be against Ukraine?

• Win

Votes: 17 89.5%
  • Lose

Votes: 2 10.5%

• Total voters

RHB

I'm a Gnu, how do you do!⭐⭐
Staff member
Quarter finals it is then, we're still in, we haven't conceded a goal yet and now Harry Kane has opened his goal scoring account so just about anything can happen.

Normal deal, pre match thread until it's the official match thread. We're away from Wembley for the first time and by the looks of things there will be very little in the way of England fans attending now the Italians have decided that if you go then you have to isolate for 5 days on arrival. Whether that will make a big difference to the team is up for debate, there will no doubt be a largish crowd but whether the Italian neutrals will get behind us is unknown.

Anyone excited yet? I'm not sure what I feel at the moment, I probably don't want to believe we may win, just in case we don't.

Anyway, get the beers in, or whatever else you prefer, get yourselves comfortable in your favourite chairs and let battle commence.

Probably alone but I actually quite like the idea that we change venue for this one. Our biggest challenge in this match is complacency and ‘an easy game at Wembley’ in front of an over-expectant crowd might just be exactly what we don’t need. I’d like to believe we can focus our minds anyway, even after the Lord Mayor’s show of beating Germany, but this will force us to take the challenge even more seriously. No bad thing.

2-0 victory with another welcome clean sheet.

But will Gareth protect some of the players on yellows and give some others a run? You want to put out the strongest team, but maybe some of our squad players pushing hard for a start might be the right choice for bringing a massive energy to this one?

I'm going for 2-0 win as well.

Henderson for Rice (due to yellow card)
Grealish for Trippier
Foden for Saka

4-2-3-1

If he keeps Rice or starts Saka I'm fine with that, but I would go with the above. We are better than Ukraine and they pose less threat than Germany (I don't think it's being overly cocky saying that...it's just a fact) so don't think we need as many defensive players for this one.

All the expectation is on England to win, similar to the game against Sweden a few years ago. Ukraine can go out and give it a real go, if they lose 3-0 then they haven't underachieved.

I'm confident we will win, but also got a feeling that this is one of those banana skins (Ukraine play in yellow right?) that will be so typical of us to lose.

GS has a plan, it isn't to entertain but to keep it tight, and WIN.
I don't think he will make any big changes, any cards are wiped after this game so that ought not to be a selection issue.
There are some nailed on starters with just the system of the midfield to ponder.
I expect him to start one of Mount, Foden or Grealish to start.
2-1 England

I think he will go for same team, same formation. Ukraine play the same formation as Germany 3-5-2 so think it will be the same, he will want to nullify Zinchenko who was excellent against Sweden. You cant protect players on a yellow, if they get booked they get booked. There are plenty of players on the bench able to come in and not weaken the team.

Even if the players on yellows are out for the semi (assuming we progress…) we’ve got decent squad depth and for example, Mings is an adequate replacement for Maguire, so I won’t expect too much resting. Nor a dramatic change in tactics, maybe revert to a 4-4-2 but we won’t go gung-ho as that isn’t Gareth’s style. England 2 Ukraine 0.

Think we will win 2-0.But it will take time and be hard.Can they knock England out,yes,stranger things have happened at games.
Good to read,hear about the x-German players-managers getting stuck into each other about Germany getting beaten.
But one thing they all agree on is that how poor Germany was against a poor England team.They can except getting beaten by a good team,but by a team who was as poor as the they were ,is hard for them to take.....makes the result even BETTER

Reactions: RHB
I will actually be very glad when it's kick off time. The artificial hype going on in this country at the moment is embarrassing.

I think we need to be very careful too, just because the difficult countries are all getting knocked out doesn’t mean this is going to be a walk over. On paper yes it does look easy. Denmark are going to be a huge test if they get through and we beat Ukraine. They want to do this for Eriksen and I really hope they do, would be a fitting tribute to a player who nearly lost his life.

Is it me, or has today taken twice as long as usual to go. We're still over 2 hours away from kick-off and I'm getting apprehensive. Mind you I was against the Germans as well, and against Sunderland at home a few seasons ago, and how did they both end?

Is it me, or has today taken twice as long as usual to go. We're still over 2 hours away from kick-off and I'm getting apprehensive. Mind you I was against the Germans as well, and against Sunderland at home a few seasons ago, and how did they both end?

I do prefer the 5pm kick off, this 8pm ko is torture.

I do prefer the 5pm kick off, this 8pm ko is torture.
Anything that involves Lin acher is torture, the bloke is a class A handjob. My tele will go on at 1959.55sec, off at half time and straight off after. Just thinking about the wife cheating, tax cheating wokester makes me steam.

Reasonable amount of noise from the England fans and team for the National Anthem.

Back